• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Borland

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.......I am sooo glad that we didnt get him....I believe last year there were several guys on this site...lamenting the fact that we didnt draft him.....I was saying that I was not upset we didnt.....and now based on this......Any of you people want to come back now and agree with me....Humbly ask for my forgivness..feel free!!!!!

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him. It takes a lot to walk away from that kind of money, but in his golden years, he will be so much better off for it.

I am sure SF will receive some sort of compensatory pick here right?? Or does that just apply to losses in FA??

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him. It takes a lot to walk away from that kind of money, but in his golden years, he will be so much better off for it.

I am sure SF will receive some sort of compensatory pick here right?? Or does that just apply to losses in FA??
When a player retires you get nothing....It is very common in the NFL that players retire....just not when 24yrs old and healthy....Sucks for San Fran....They have lost alot on their defense this year!!!

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it me or is this a team saying FU to the GM for letting Harbaugh go.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very good points VT.
Takes a very solid person to walk away from big money like that.
This is a crushing blow for the NFL as one of their young rising stars walks away before even in his prime.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played high school football like I'm sure most of us did, and you know, if you don't want to be out there YOU WILL GET HURT. The NFL must be more violent than even the TV or being at the game shows. I can only imagine what it must be like to be out there.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to respect his decision and realize that every person must make the best choices in life for themselves.

Who knows what goes on in anyone's mind, when it's all said and done?

Shame to lose such a talented player, but $$ and football are not everything in life and I wish him every success in the future.

On a side note...Niners have had the WORST off season I've seen for a franchise in a long time. I really feel for those fans. Simply brutal.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.......I am sooo glad that we didnt get him....I believe last year there were several guys on this site...lamenting the fact that we didnt draft him.....I was saying that I was not upset we didnt.....and now based on this......Any of you people want to come back now and agree with me....Humbly ask for my forgivness..feel free!!!!!

LOL. I wasn't here last year so I'm assuming you were basing your opinion on the intimate knowledge that you knew he had a good chance of retiring after his rookie year. Because outside of that it appears as if you were happy the Skins didn't draft a player whose performance last year blew away every rookie our team drafted.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first i will start off saying this it is his head and his body so he can do with it what he wants .

he can be scared to get a concussion and he has every right to be scared because that is what he is scared

to bad he didnt have the courage to at least get a concussion from playing football before letting his fear overcome him

the truth is he didnt love football . he didnt like his career choice . good for him and i do wish him success in his future .

to me he is no different then a mail man quitting his job to become a teacher because he is afraid of dogs

sorry if that is too harsh but that is how i feel . he isnt a hero but he isnt a bad person eother

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a player retires you get nothing....It is very common in the NFL that players retire....just not when 24yrs old and healthy....Sucks for San Fran....They have lost alot on their defense this year!!!
What they will get is some of their bonus money back from him. He reneged on his contract. He didn't earn that bonus.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first i will start off saying this it is his head and his body so he can do with it what he wants .

he can be scared to get a concussion and he has every right to be scared because that is what he is scared

to bad he didnt have the courage to at least get a concussion from playing football before letting his fear overcome him

the truth is he didnt love football . he didnt like his career choice . good for him and i do wish him success in his future .

to me he is no different then a mail man quitting his job to become a teacher because he is afraid of dogs

sorry if that is too harsh but that is how i feel . he isnt a hero but he isnt a bad person eother

I would have to classify this as uninformed.
You are focusing on the concussions part of the equation.
Repetitive hits is what is more scary and what has lead the neurosurgeons to believe has lead to the CTE disaster with many football players. Many guys like Junior Seau were never treated for concussions during games, and ended up blowing holes in their chests with ice boxes by their sides, and a note saying "check my brain".

So to say he did not have the "courage", is in my opinion, way off. He used logic. His family has money.
He wants to live a happy life. I am very impressed with his decision.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Repetitive hits is what is more scary and what has lead the neurosurgeons to believe has lead to the CTE disaster with many football players. Many guys like Junior Seau were never treated for concussions during games, and ended up blowing holes in their chests with ice boxes by their sides, and a note saying "check my brain".

So to say he did not have the "courage", is in my opinion, way off. He used logic. His family has money.

Agree. At least he has a Plan B. Compare this to other ex-players who played many years & eventually ended up broke & with substance abuse problems since they didn't plan on life after the NFL. Also - all the $$ in the world won't help when you are older & basically can't move or have repeated head issues. Eric Dickerson mentioned that he was not able to sleep for several years after retiring due to these type of issues.

Some positives from this situation include the fact that this indicates that NFL players are much more informed at this time about the risk to their health during & after their time in the league. This should also help with players at all levels.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What they will get is some of their bonus money back from him. He reneged on his contract. He didn't earn that bonus.

Agree....was just saying no Compensatory picks would be given to the 9rs

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. I wasn't here last year so I'm assuming you were basing your opinion on the intimate knowledge that you knew he had a good chance of retiring after his rookie year. Because outside of that it appears as if you were happy the Skins didn't draft a player whose performance last year blew away every rookie our team drafted.

Nope not at all....just everyone bitching that we didnt take him in the 3rd.....versus the guys we did take in the 3rd.....Now long and Mosses are looking like a better shot right now

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope not at all....just everyone bitching that we didnt take him in the 3rd.....versus the guys we did take in the 3rd.....Now long and Mosses are looking like a better shot right now

The problem here is you are missing the point. It's no different than crowing that drafting Sean Taylor was a mistake given how events turned out. The point is the people backing the pick of Borland were correct, he was a much better player than Murphy, Long, or Mosses. The fact that he was the first player in history to retire after his rookie season doesn't change that.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i am not uninformed about anything Seau did have concussions , many of them .

he can be scared if he wants to . and you can be impressed as can others . he isnt a hero in my book and he doesnt love football . all of that is ok in my book

retiring from football because he is scared of concussions is just that scared it isnt uniformed . it is what it is nothing wrong with admitting your scared

and courage is simply being afraid but going anyway again its his body his life and he can do what he wants .

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not uninformed about anything Seau did have concussions , many of them .

he can be scared if he wants to . and you can be impressed as can others . he isnt a hero in my book and he doesnt love football . all of that is ok in my book

retiring from football because he is scared of concussions is just that scared it isnt uniformed . it is what it is nothing wrong with admitting your scared

and courage is simply being afraid but going anyway again its his body his life and he can do what he wants .

You still have not mentioned CTE once. The dangers of repetitive head hits is more dangerous than a few concussions. There is no cure for CTE at this time. If you get a chance to see the Frontline documentary,
"league of denial", give it a shot. I think it will help clarify things. The Pathologist who discovered CTE in brains of dead players like Mike Webster describes it as good as anyone.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont need to have it clarified . same thing applies he is afraid of brain injury

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont need to have it clarified . same thing applies he is afraid of brain injury

Not just brain injury. Brain degeneration as a result of CTE.
This brain degeneration has lead to many ex players having to deal with depression, confusion, memory loss, progressive dementia, etc.

He wants quality of his life. I commend him for this.