• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chernobyl

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, that's an old article. If they get in the state budget, they'll stay open. They set a deadline that has passed, but I think still technically have more time before needing to order fuel.
link? everything I read says it is getting shut down

Davis-Besse nuclear reactor close to full power

Unless a buyer or bailout emerges to save it, FirstEnergy plans to close it for good by May 31, 2020. The utility has said it and its other nuclear plants — the Perry plant east of Cleveland, and the two plants on its Beaver Valley site west of Pittsburgh — can no longer compete against low natural gas prices brought on by the modern era of fracking. Plans have been announced for a gradual phaseout of those plants and FirstEnergy’s remaining coal-fired power plants, which the utility also has deemed too expensive to continue operating in the long run.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
link? everything I read says it is getting shut down

Davis-Besse nuclear reactor close to full power

Unless a buyer or bailout emerges to save it, FirstEnergy plans to close it for good by May 31, 2020. The utility has said it and its other nuclear plants — the Perry plant east of Cleveland, and the two plants on its Beaver Valley site west of Pittsburgh — can no longer compete against low natural gas prices brought on by the modern era of fracking. Plans have been announced for a gradual phaseout of those plants and FirstEnergy’s remaining coal-fired power plants, which the utility also has deemed too expensive to continue operating in the long run.
House, governor approve nuclear rescue bill

Good timing, I guess. The vote was today.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We watched a production about Chernobyl a couple of years ago. It was scary, and very realistic. You had to remember to ignore all the government statistics, which were bullshit.

It brought to mind Three Mile Island back in the seventies with that fool Carter in the White House. My Mom lived in New Jersey at the time, and I remember mapping out a route for her to escape the radiation, and telling her to keep her gas tank topped off. Fortunately, our reactors were better designed than the Russian ones.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was alive for 3-Mile Island, but I was way too young to remember anything about it.

I don’t know how accurate the Chernobyl movie was, but it was freaky that the copters that flew over it essentially melted and fell in. That’s crazy.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how they explained the fission process and the dangerous effects of the radiation, equating them to microscopic bullets.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was alive for 3-Mile Island, but I was way too young to remember anything about it.

I don’t know how accurate the Chernobyl movie was, but it was freaky that the copters that flew over it essentially melted and fell in. That’s crazy.
while there is more drama, the actual events portrayed in the show are accurate.

and TMI was mostly caused by human error. The plant responded correctly to the trip but an operator opened a valve he didn't think opened properly and drained the reactor cavity and exposed the core.