• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chernobyl

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chernobyl, the historical drama series that HBO keeps promoting with previews before and after each episode of Game of Thrones, premieres tonight, Monday, May 6, 2019. It is based on the real-world 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster in what was then Soviet Ukraine.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Planning to check out the premiere tonight.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the first episode last night and definitely enjoyed it.

I know it's produced for English speaking audiences, but the fact that none of the actors have a Russian accent really threw me off at times.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the first episode last night and definitely enjoyed it.

I know it's produced for English speaking audiences, but the fact that none of the actors have a Russian accent really threw me off at times.
I got around to watching it last night. I enjoyed it.

I know the history of the actual incident pretty well, but when it comes to the politics and denial surrounding it, I am clueless, so this is really cool. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

and yea, the accents really kind of annoy me.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the history of the actual incident pretty well, but when it comes to the politics and denial surrounding it, I am clueless, so this is really cool. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
Remember, it is TV entertainment, not historical facts.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, it is TV entertainment, not historical facts.
well there is a dramatization to it, but so far it has been pretty spot on for facts of how it happened and how they responded

I may follow up with the podcast to see what the commentary is on it

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well there is a dramatization to it, but so far it has been pretty spot on for facts of how it happened and how they responded

I may follow up with the podcast to see what the commentary is on it
I agree with that, and the how it happened will probably be pretty spot on.
Once it really gets into the politics and denials is where I think liberties will be taken to keep interest levels up on the show.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that, and the how it happened will probably be pretty spot on.
Once it really gets into the politics and denials is where I think liberties will be taken to keep interest levels up on the show.
I don't agree

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got around to watching it last night. I enjoyed it.

and yea, the accents really kind of annoy me.
I thought about that when I watched it. I guess maybe not all of the actors could do a Russian accent, or at least good ones, and since most of the actors are British, looks like they just stuck with their own accents. To me that is fine, I'd rather them all have the same (British) accent, than a hodge podge of this guy has a Russian accent, that guy a British accent, the other guy an American accent, etc.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about that when I watched it. I guess maybe not all of the actors could do a Russian accent, or at least good ones, and since most of the actors are British, looks like they just stuck with their own accents. To me that is fine, I'd rather them all have the same (British) accent, than a hodge podge of this guy has a Russian accent, that guy a British accent, the other guy an American accent, etc.

I was reminded of the old Robin Williams gag about a rendition of Julius Caesar play done with all English accents, when the roles were all Roman (read: Italian). It bugged me a bit once or twice....but overall the show quality made up for it.

Ironically, I watched the trailer a few weeks ago on HBONow on my tablet. Almost immediately YouTube started throwing me Chernobyl stories and docs, even though I have never looked at any like this on YouTube. So....while I lived through that time period, these things really helped me get up to speed on facts, and they did a good job in the first episode.

I don't know that I agree that the back room politics will take liberties, so much as it was pretty cut and dried. History has already proven many, many times that the Soviet system (while truly having many people in it that cared for "the people") was set up to disincentive speaking up anywhere in the chain of command. Ultimately the image portrayed to the outside world (paranoid bastards) always trumped above everything else.

There really shouldn't be need for much liberties in this area as there is plenty of supportive evidence of cover ups and downplaying in their system, as the other nuclear incident in the Urals, as well as the Soviet space program have shown.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reminded of the old Robin Williams gag about a rendition of Julius Caesar play done with all English accents, when the roles were all Roman (read: Italian). It bugged me a bit once or twice....but overall the show quality made up for it.

Ironically, I watched the trailer a few weeks ago on HBONow on my tablet. Almost immediately YouTube started throwing me Chernobyl stories and docs, even though I have never looked at any like this on YouTube. So....while I lived through that time period, these things really helped me get up to speed on facts, and they did a good job in the first episode.

I don't know that I agree that the back room politics will take liberties, so much as it was pretty cut and dried. History has already proven many, many times that the Soviet system (while truly having many people in it that cared for "the people") was set up to disincentive speaking up anywhere in the chain of command. Ultimately the image portrayed to the outside world (paranoid bastards) always trumped above everything else.

There really shouldn't be need for much liberties in this area as there is plenty of supportive evidence of cover ups and downplaying in their system, as the other nuclear incident in the Urals, as well as the Soviet space program have shown.
the old guy who wanted to cut phone lines and keep "false information" from getting out was my favorite and how the table stood up and clapped for him. That was a nice touch with how he represented Russia and how Russia handles stuff.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to the podcast....show creator is saying they made a solid decision very early on to not do Russian accents. That Russian accents can be hard to stick on with continuity and once the accent goes it can get comical quick. They didn't want to create the Boris and Natasha hour.

Kind of has a point....

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus.....radiation exposure is mind numbing and terrifying!

The red faces of the firefighters....the guy forced to look in on the reactor turning around with a red face instantly....the firefighter who picked up the graphite on the ground.

And its only going to be a more horrifying experience highlighted as we go forward.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched it last night. Very interesting episode. I cannot believe it's already been about 33 years since this disaster happened. I kind of remember vaguely watching the world news with my parents and I had no idea of how severe this was at the time. I would have been 12. It's frightening just to see the aftermath of something of this magnitude. I will def continue to watch this along with GoT.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chernobyl, the historical drama series that HBO keeps promoting with previews before and after each episode of Game of Thrones, premieres tonight, Monday, May 6, 2019. It is based on the real-world 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster in what was then Soviet Ukraine.

happy%2Bmut%2Bday.gif