• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chernobyl

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great show. It was truly compelling.
1e40b70642d727d4fb9edd389ad89a178a310fa7a17e9f1ade9f7b98642b75ba.jpg

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think I have ever seen a show where they made a power plant explosion look so interesting and gripping to watch

To be fair it was the power plant explosion. Arguably this is the biggest technological fuck up ever and for two decades it was a nothing to see here type event.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair it was the power plant explosion. Arguably this is the biggest technological fuck up ever and for two decades it was a nothing to see here type event.

I had this thought too.....China Syndrome? No, it didn't blow up. TMI.....Fukashima....no they did not blow up.

I guess @OP said "power plant" explosion.......but I cannot recall anything dramatized over a non nuclear plant explosion.

So...yeah....it is THE nuclear power plant explosion. Something those things just don't easily do at all.
I am still fascinated how all of the cost cutting, lack of adequate procedures/training and general hubris made it blow the fuck up.

Unless it was all just a CIA spy......

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had this thought too.....China Syndrome? No, it didn't blow up. TMI.....Fukashima....no they did not blow up.

I guess @OP said "power plant" explosion.......but I cannot recall anything dramatized over a non nuclear plant explosion.

So...yeah....it is THE nuclear power plant explosion. Something those things just don't easily do at all.
I am still fascinated how all of the cost cutting, lack of adequate procedures/training and general hubris made it blow the fuck up.

Unless it was all just a CIA spy......
there was an explosion at Fukushima, but that was believed to be caused by hydrogen buildup in the spent fuel pool

in the industry, we consider TMI and Fukushima incidents...hell, I think Chernobyl is considered an incident as well. Each is unique in its own way, but Chernobyl is the only one where the reactor actually exploded. A lot of lessons learned in that incident and even more from TMI.

There was almost another at Davis Besse where there was boric acid that almost ate through the head of the reactor.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was an explosion at Fukushima, but that was believed to be caused by hydrogen buildup in the spent fuel pool

in the industry, we consider TMI and Fukushima incidents...hell, I think Chernobyl is considered an incident as well. Each is unique in its own way, but Chernobyl is the only one where the reactor actually exploded. A lot of lessons learned in that incident and even more from TMI.

There was almost another at Davis Besse where there was boric acid that almost ate through the head of the reactor.

So just to get this straight.

You work at a power plant and chose Milhouse from The Simpsons as your avatar? Come on, mange!?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just to get this straight.

You work at a power plant and chose Milhouse from The Simpsons as your avatar? Come on, mange!?
the Homer references get a little old.

I have a Radioactive Man and Fall-Out Boy figure on my desk though

s-l225.jpg

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had this thought too.....China
"Silkwood", starring Meryl Streep. Parts were later fictionalized and adapted for China Syndrome, but the events really happened at the Cimarron Fuel Fabrication Site in Oklahoma.

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is no one will wonder who you are talking about. Lol.

As a child I was morbidly fascinated and fearful of radiation with the Cold War in full swing. Watching “The Day After” (HEAVILY suggested by every third grade teacher) will do that. But yet I’ve never seen dramatic portrayal that gets it so horrifying real as that scene where she was in the plastic tent with him. That might feel drummed up for gross dramatics, but by all accounts that is very much what massive radiation exposure does. Nightmares!!
I think a lot of us who were kids/teenagers at that time did. I know everyone where I lived was, as the Chernobyl disaster happened the last week of April 1986, and the "new" nuclear plant 10 miles from my house went fully online the 1st week of May 1986, so meltdowns, radiation etc was on everyone's mind.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of us who were kids/teenagers at that time did. I know everyone where I lived was, as the Chernobyl disaster happened the last week of April 1986, and the "new" nuclear plant 10 miles from my house went fully online the 1st week of May 1986, so meltdowns, radiation etc was on everyone's mind.

Oh lovely. That had to be fun. Lots of PR I’m sure on all the safety things we do that the Soviets probably don’t.

There was an aspect of this time in life that I think the show brought back. Younger generations watched this and I’m sure they said “Fuck!”. And those of us that lived through the Cold War and Chernobyl, TMI/China Syndrome/The Day After (drove awareness, and paranoia) just kind of sat there like “yeah....that was a thing”.

It was so relieving to get into the 90s and (foolish as it might be) just stop worrying so much about it. But the specters not gone. I just saw something the other day how the Doomsday Clock has moved closer to midnight.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HoErFc7.jpg

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was in Vegas a few years ago for a concert and we walked past a small group of cosplayers er whatever, that were headed to comiccon and we were just drunk enough to engage in conversation with them...er at least my buddies were...I wanted no part of that convo....some weird mawfks bro.

I am on the boat that does not get it at all. The day you see me dressed up in a costume...just take me out behind the shed and put me out of my misery. Halloween is the gayest holiday off all-time. Grown adults that dress up, particularly those WITHOUT children are weird af.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was in Vegas a few years ago for a concert and we walked past a small group of cosplayers er whatever, that were headed to comiccon and we were just drunk enough to engage in conversation with them...er at least my buddies were...I wanted no part of that convo....some weird mawfks bro.

I am on the boat that does not get it at all. The day you see me dressed up in a costume...just take me out behind the shed and put me out of my misery. Halloween is the gayest holiday off all-time. Grown adults that dress up, particularly those WITHOUT children are weird af.
cool

I don't dress up but I think it is great people watching. People put a lot of time and effort into that shit and there are a good amount of babes who do it too.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Increased funding for Besse didn't pass "in time" to order fuel. They still do have time, bit they're going to be cutting it close.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3