• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Centralizing the Review Process + Adding More "No Tackle" Zones

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell: NFL to consider centralizing replay reviews

"NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated Wednesday that the league is considering making fundamental changes with how in-game replay reviews are handled.
NFL Homecoming
During Weeks 14-16, the NFL will highlight the accomplishments and contributions of the game's greats and celebrate dedicated fans around the holiday time period. More ...

"I think our officials do an incredible job, but there's always room for improvement," Goodell told NFL Media's Albert Breer at the Special League Meeting in Irving, Texas. "We've had some errors that we think we need to correct. Some of the things we're discussing is how to do that, whether there are changes to replay, or to how we train or what we do on the field."

Breer asked Goodell about potentially expanding the role of NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino on Sundays when it comes to replays. ProFootballTalk reported Sunday that the league will consider bringing all replay reviews in-house.

"With respect to replay ... we're going to look at everything," Goodell said. "Our No. 1 focus is to make sure we're providing the best officiating. We always think we can improve. Consistency is important. By bringing it into the league office on Sundays and having one person actually making that decision, you can make an argument there's consistency.
The evolution of the NFL:
Take a look at how the NFL has evolved from its humble roots, and the efforts being made to ensure it continues to grow.

"This is something the competition committee will be studying. It's something we discussed with the membership today. They'll come back with a report, and we'll make an adjustment from there."

Goodell also addressed protecting defenseless players against low hits. Goodell indicated the competition committee will look at possible rule changes, but those changes would not address hits like the one that shelved New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski on Sunday. Proposals are more likely to be centered on hits like the one that took out Miami Dolphins tight end Dustin Keller. Keller was hit while in the act of catching the ball.

The competition committee is expected to discuss rules on low hits at February's Scouting Combine."

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we could all see the low hit emphasis was gonna be coming. This could be another killer for the defense. Here we go again...

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I at least like the idea of centralizing the review process. Should make things more consistent. I think fans were getting fed up with inconsistent calls, and the league is considering desperate measures to fix that.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man they might as well just take the defense off the field or make it two hand touch...

nmgsc2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man they might as well just take the defense off the field or make it two hand touch...

Then Al Davis would be turning over in his grave asking why they couldn't do this earlier when he was drafting the fastest guys in the draft each year.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear every time a patriot player gets hurt the nfl has to have a new rule to protect players

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we could all see the low hit emphasis was gonna be coming. This could be another killer for the defense. Here we go again...

As a sign of a couch-sitting fan, I see the hot on Gronkowski and think, "he could have hit the midsection."But this stuff is happening so fast and Gronkowski could have moved in a way that would still have been hit had the defender shifted hishit, escape the tackle, and as hit, maybe he could have avoided it but didn't see it.

upyourwazzu420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proposals are more likely to be centered on hits like the one that took out Miami Dolphins tight end Dustin Keller. Keller was hit while in the act of catching the ball.

I wasn't aware that Ron completed the catch... he sure didn't get to defend himself lol

dez

Town Drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to ban low hits as well they need to repeal the 5 yard no contact rule. if the Dbs are locked onto their man then less likely to be have diving/lunging tackles. stupid imo

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'm ok with rules protecting players from serious injury, or should I say reduce the odds of serious injury. no doubt it changes the game and teams will have to look ahead and adjust.

maybe it forces teams to build heavy on offense? it'll likely make the NFL an even higher scoring league? but can't argue with reducing player injuries, cause if it gets out of hand, then there will be no football.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see an interview where someone posted this line of questioning to Goodell:

Interviewer: Do you believe it is the league's responsibility to create rules that protect players from injury?

Goodell: Yes, i believe we should have rules in place that make football as safe as possible

Interviewer: You do realize that it is because of injuries to starters that players like Tom Brady and Steve Young have had opportunities to have hall of fame careers, right?

Goodell: Well, erm, .... Bra-Brady? ... *Head explodes*