• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CB and NB

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can You Spare a Nickel? An Examination of the Cornerback and Nickelback Positions

good read on the different skills required of each position.

Was wondering about this because we drafted Ward and now Redmond with NB specifically in mind. In todays NFL we see a LOT of 3 wides, and sometimes 4 wides. We see it 66% of the time and is why NB's are important. Maybe on occassion (4 wides) we have to play both Ward and Redmond?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can You Spare a Nickel? An Examination of the Cornerback and Nickelback Positions

Was wondering about this because we drafted Ward and now Redmond with NB specifically in mind. In todays NFL we see a LOT of 3 wides, and sometimes 4 wides. We see it 66% of the time and is why NB's are important. Maybe on occassion (4 wides) we have to play both Ward and Redmond?

If you believe the chatter, Ward is headed to a safety position

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i can believe this and the question is when?

It might be this season if Bethea is moved or someone (Bethea, Reid, or Tartt) is injured before game 1. It will be next season if Redmond can't take over the NB spot.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nickel is 5 defensive backs; Dime is 6, and Quarter is 7. I guess the Quarter is for the end of half or game, preventing a big pass play (mainly Hail Mary).

But nowadays 'defensive backs' can be a mixture of Safeties and Corners, depending on the opponent's strength at the skill positions (WR, TE, and RB).

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, which of Reid or Bethea are getting benched or cut? I mean, that's what has to happen for Ward to play safety.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, which of Reid or Bethea are getting benched or cut? I mean, that's what has to happen for Ward to play safety.

I think Ward is probably a better fit at FS than SS with his ball skills and Tartt is probably more likely to replace Bethea.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid has been declining so maybe they let him play this year and put Ward next to him and if he doesn't improve let him go and move Ward over to his spot and play Tartt. Also if Reid doesn't pan out tally another wasted pick by Baalke (this one a 1st rounder).

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Ward moves to safety next year. I think Reid will be trade bait. I think they really want Ward and Tartt to start.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ward moves to safety next year. I think Reid will be trade bait. I think they really want Ward and Tartt to start.

I agree I think they do too, and at least the two guys should have chemistry together as they were childhood friends (I believe) and I'm certain they were high school teammates.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid has been declining so maybe they let him play this year and put Ward next to him and if he doesn't improve let him go and move Ward over to his spot and play Tartt. Also if Reid doesn't pan out tally another wasted pick by Baalke (this one a 1st rounder).

I could see a Ward and Tartt safety combo in a couple of years. I believe Reid was a Harbaugh pick. Harbaugh recruited him heavily to play for him in college and always wanted him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a Ward and Tartt safety combo in a couple of years. I believe Reid was a Harbaugh pick. Harbaugh recruited him heavily to play for him in college and always wanted him.
I think tarrt plays over Bethea. we either cut im, trade him or he accepts back up role. Tarrt is just the better player at this moment of Bethea career.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see Bethea as being gone first. I don't see him on the team beyond this year.

Yes, no question. Bethea is on the wrong side of 30, and has a big contract. The other Safeties are Baalke picks....high picks.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, no question. Bethea is on the wrong side of 30, and has a big contract. The other Safeties are Baalke picks....high picks.

All the Safties are Baalke guys.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Analyst on 49ers CB Rashard Robinson: ‘He can be a special player’

The part that caught my attention is tackling, didn't think of that till now?! Was only thinking about how he'll press big WR's at 171 lbs.

While most people naturally put on weight as they age, just can't see Robinson getting THAT much heavier? Ohh well, first things first, cover and then make plays on the passes.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
▪ Last week, receiver Jerome Simpson got into a brief scrap with Davis. On Wednesday, he was involved in an altercation with rookie cornerback Rashard Robinson, who had to be separated from the veteran receiver. Robinson was playing left cornerback with the second-team defense Wednesday although he says he’s been on the right side as well. Robinson said he likes O’Neil’s system because it calls for a lot of man-to-man, press coverage, which is his specialty. Robinson, a fourth-round pick, was 171 pounds at the time of the combine. He says he’s up to 185 pounds now with a goal of getting to 190.

Wow!

i stand corrected in thinking he can't add THAT much weight on 171. On the surface, 185 seems enough assuming he doesn't lose his skills.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
▪ Last week, receiver Jerome Simpson got into a brief scrap with Davis. On Wednesday, he was involved in an altercation with rookie cornerback Rashard Robinson, who had to be separated from the veteran receiver. Robinson was playing left cornerback with the second-team defense Wednesday although he says he’s been on the right side as well. Robinson said he likes O’Neil’s system because it calls for a lot of man-to-man, press coverage, which is his specialty. Robinson, a fourth-round pick, was 171 pounds at the time of the combine. He says he’s up to 185 pounds now with a goal of getting to 190.

Wow!

i stand corrected in thinking he can't add THAT much weight on 171. On the surface, 185 seems enough assuming he doesn't lose his skills.

Not that hard. I went from 175 to 190 and I am not very tall. Supposedly, he is lanky and has room to grow physically

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting comment from Reid on Mangini's defense last year

I think I like this one the best. It just makes sense,” Reid said. “You line up and you get a call, I know exactly what I’m doing and I know exactly what the guy next to me is doing. And when you feel that way, you can feel confident when you break on a ball.”

Reid said he believes there will be less indecision this season because of a scheme that has firm rules. A year ago, frequent miscommunications from Mangini’s system were mostly responsible for the team’s defense sinking to No. 29 overall. The 49ers were also among the worst in the league in generating just nine interceptions and three fumble recoveries.

“There were a lot of times when there was a gray area – too much gray area,” Reid said. “I’m wondering what this guy is going to do, so I’m watching him instead of watching the offense because I don’t know what the guy in front of me is going to do."