• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CB and NB

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting comment from Reid on Mangini's defense last year

I think I like this one the best. It just makes sense,” Reid said. “You line up and you get a call, I know exactly what I’m doing and I know exactly what the guy next to me is doing. And when you feel that way, you can feel confident when you break on a ball.”

Reid said he believes there will be less indecision this season because of a scheme that has firm rules. A year ago, frequent miscommunications from Mangini’s system were mostly responsible for the team’s defense sinking to No. 29 overall. The 49ers were also among the worst in the league in generating just nine interceptions and three fumble recoveries.

“There were a lot of times when there was a gray area – too much gray area,” Reid said. “I’m wondering what this guy is going to do, so I’m watching him instead of watching the offense because I don’t know what the guy in front of me is going to do."

Boy do we REALLY hope communication was the issue, as opposed to lack of talent. Cause there were more than a few times i thought Reid was playing poorly.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy do we REALLY hope communication was the issue, as opposed to lack of talent. Cause there were more than a few times i thought Reid was playing poorly.

It wasn't just Reid, there were so many times secondary and linebackers out of position or there were wide open holes in the defense. It was much worse during the first half of the season until Mangini simplified things. But it is clear Mangini was not a good DC and his schemes early on did not make sense given the amount of youth and inexperience on the defense. I would bet anything if Fangio was DC last year this defense and its players would have performed better.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think overall we will see improvement on D and O this year.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is standing out at the cornerback position‬? (‪Bryan Bawell)

The most declarative statement of the week came from defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil, who met with the media for the first time on Wednesday. O’Neil answered questions directly and concisely.

And he left little room for interpretation when he spoke about his expectations for defensive back Jimmie Ward.

“I know he’s one of our best 11. That I do know,” O’Neil said. “We’re trying to find ways to get our best 11 on the field. So far what he’s shown now on the practice field, I’m confident he could be out there (at cornerback).”

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be a tight race at CB.

We know Brock is a lock to make it and according to JON, Ward is a lock. So far in OTAs, Cromartie has been playing safety. That leaves 7 players (Johnson, Acker, Redman, Robinson, Reaser, Davis, and Iworah) fighting for 4 spots. Unless Baalke is proven a liar, Redman will be healthy this year, so as a 3rd rd pick, he's a lock to make the team and since we just drafted Robinson in rd 4, there's no way we'll cut him this early, so he's in too.

That leaves 2 spots open for 5 players--Johnson, Acker, Reaser, Davis and Iworah.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 2 spots left, I would go with Johnson and Acker...

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the latest reports are saying that Johnson suffered some kind of knee injury at OTAs today. Gotta hope he's ok.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ranking Every NFL Secondary Entering 2016 Season

This is more than fair at this point, in fact i think 17th is too high? Ward hasn't played RCB in real games, and we don't have a proven NCB. If the coaches switched Ward to RCB from the get go, have to believe he'll be more than ok. But how do you rank him without ever seeing him play outside? NCB is another unknown spot, Davis is listed but we know Redmond is targeted for NB. Either way, how do you rank someone who has never played a down yet?

Our Safety spots are strong, but still don't think its enough to lift these two other spots.

Not being a downer on our secondary, cause this ranking is looking at it NOW. Actually think they'll get good in a hurry, especially if Redmond can in fact perform at NCB. Johnson has played in real games and held up ok, so he provides good depth.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Then there were players that missed the beat writer's ranking completely. "There were a couple players that I wanted to include in the top-25 that didn't make it," Biderman told us. "I think there's a good chance fourth-round pick Rashard Robinson ends up starting games or, at least, winning the third corner spot to come on the field in sub packages. He might be the most talented corner on the roster and an early-round talent that fell in the draft because of his off-the-field issues."

Another highly regarded rookie that fell in the draft, this time because of injury, was CB Will Redmond, who likely didn't come close to touching Biderman's top 25 list. He is recovering from an ACL tear suffered during a Mississippi State practice on October 22. "I expect to play in 2016," Redmond told reporters following his selection. "Will Redmond saw his final season torpedoed by injury after seven games when he tore his ACL. By that point he had allowed just one touchdown and a passer rating of only 41.0 when targeted by opposing quarterbacks," said Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus.

Wow, i guess i'll be very wrong on Robinson, but that would be great. i was down on the pick of a CB (not down on Robinson the player), because i felt Prescott or even Dixon were better value. Even if Robinson doesn't play much this season, it appears his potential is sky high.

Can't say Redmond is an "IR draft pick", at least not yet. But wanted to say i prefer the doesn't rush back on the field. Whether he plays this season or not isn't a big deal, but we really need him next year and beyond. Get yourself healed up first, and don't make the injury worse.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there were players that missed the beat writer's ranking completely. "There were a couple players that I wanted to include in the top-25 that didn't make it," Biderman told us. "I think there's a good chance fourth-round pick Rashard Robinson ends up starting games or, at least, winning the third corner spot to come on the field in sub packages. He might be the most talented corner on the roster and an early-round talent that fell in the draft because of his off-the-field issues."

Another highly regarded rookie that fell in the draft, this time because of injury, was CB Will Redmond, who likely didn't come close to touching Biderman's top 25 list. He is recovering from an ACL tear suffered during a Mississippi State practice on October 22. "I expect to play in 2016," Redmond told reporters following his selection. "Will Redmond saw his final season torpedoed by injury after seven games when he tore his ACL. By that point he had allowed just one touchdown and a passer rating of only 41.0 when targeted by opposing quarterbacks," said Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus.

Wow, i guess i'll be very wrong on Robinson, but that would be great. i was down on the pick of a CB (not down on Robinson the player), because i felt Prescott or even Dixon were better value. Even if Robinson doesn't play much this season, it appears his potential is sky high.

Can't say Redmond is an "IR draft pick", at least not yet. But wanted to say i prefer the doesn't rush back on the field. Whether he plays this season or not isn't a big deal, but we really need him next year and beyond. Get yourself healed up first, and don't make the injury worse.
I think PFF ranked SF secondary 17th? That is really good compared to most of the other position rankings from PFF. QB was pretty much at the bottom and oline was something like 25th