• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Cavs @ Spurs

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean i guess. I'm nowhere near saying the Spurs WILL beat GSW cause that's just silly...what i am saying though is that with at the very least a victory over Klay and Steph in the playoffs once already, albeit things are drastically different now, I feel SLIGHTLY more confident if and when they meet again in May. At least there is some sample size there.

As a Spurs fan, you should feel confident about your team. I would. If I was a Spurs fan, there'd be no doubt in my mind that they would beat the Warriors. The same works vice versa for a team that is the defending champion and currently 38-4. Any "fan" that doesn't admit that the Spurs are a legitimate concern to the Warriors is either delusional or sorely uninformed. Same can be said for any Spurs fan who thinks similarly about the Warriors.

The difference I see between the Warriors and Spurs is that what the Warriors do cannot be replicated by interchangeable parts. The Spurs have players that are capable of handling bigger roles or stepping in, and filling in, without missing a beat.

The Warriors are the greater sum of their parts. When clicking, they're untouchable. The versatility and flexibility of the lineup is insane. The problem is if one of those pieces are missing, it's going to be a grind.

If both the Warriors and Spurs play their A game, I believe the Warriors win. If both play their B game, I think it'll be too close to call. If both teams play their C game or lower, Spurs win every time.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when did i ever call the Spurs the Warriors big brother? Need to not twist my words.

also...get in line? LOL now that is funny. GSW may be the champs but i've honestly never seen a championship go to a fanbase's head more than these Warriors has :pound:(serious check Twitter...it's gotten out of hand.)

Why shouldn't i feel like the Spurs aren't superior though? Think the Warriors AND their fans also need to remember one thing...There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that suggests that these Warriors can beat the Spurs in a playoff series. The Spurs at least own one of those in recent years. While SEVERAL things have changed since then...at least we know the Spurs are more than capable. Not to mention they WON the season series last year. (but we all know regular season doesn't matter)

I mean I know they're the champs and all but i'm not sure where this confidence that "they got it in the bag" is coming from...
When did I say you actually called them their big brother? That's not what I said. Clearly you've got it "twisted". And I do believe your cockiness of the Spurs' ability to beat the Warriors is what is outrageous. At least the Warriors have put their money where their mouth is. As I already mentioned, they DID actually win last year. The Spurs not-so-much.

There absolutely is evidence they can beat the Spurs. They've already proven they can WIN no matter what style of basketball they're required to play. Proven in many different match ups this season so far - that ended up in the WIN column for them. And while you're laughing about the "get in line" comment that's exactly what they & all the other teams in the league should do. They are the defending champs until someone else wins, like it or not.

Yea the Spurs won the season before, and 4 different seasons prior to that. But what they haven't done is REPEAT so stop hating on the team that is focused on that task at hand.

Finally, who said the Warriors "got this in the bag"? I think the better question is: Can the Spurs get past the Clippers to even meet up with the Warriors this season. LOL

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean i guess. I'm nowhere near saying the Spurs WILL beat GSW cause that's just silly...what i am saying though is that with at the very least a victory over Klay and Steph in the playoffs once already, albeit things are drastically different now, I feel SLIGHTLY more confident if and when they meet again in May. At least there is some sample size there.
This is funny because in one sentence you say things are drastically different now than when they played in the playoffs a couple of seasons ago, yet also say that sample size is what gives you the confidence they would win.

Four things have happened since that playoff series that IMO favor the Warriors.

1. They hired a new, much better coach
2. They actually WON a championship
3. Their core guys have improved their game individually over the summer since becoming champs
4. A few of the Spurs' core have gotten 2 years older but not necessarily better

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Spurs fan, you should feel confident about your team. I would. If I was a Spurs fan, there'd be no doubt in my mind that they would beat the Warriors. The same works vice versa for a team that is the defending champion and currently 38-4. Any "fan" that doesn't admit that the Spurs are a legitimate concern to the Warriors is either delusional or sorely uninformed. Same can be said for any Spurs fan who thinks similarly about the Warriors.

The difference I see between the Warriors and Spurs is that what the Warriors do cannot be replicated by interchangeable parts. The Spurs have players that are capable of handling bigger roles or stepping in, and filling in, without missing a beat.

The Warriors are the greater sum of their parts. When clicking, they're untouchable. The versatility and flexibility of the lineup is insane. The problem is if one of those pieces are missing, it's going to be a grind.

If both the Warriors and Spurs play their A game, I believe the Warriors win. If both play their B game, I think it'll be too close to call. If both teams play their C game or lower, Spurs win every time.
fair enough. we can agree to disagree on that last part.

When did I say you actually called them their big brother? That's not what I said. Clearly you've got it "twisted". And I do believe your cockiness of the Spurs' ability to beat the Warriors is what is outrageous. At least the Warriors have put their money where their mouth is. As I already mentioned, they DID actually win last year. The Spurs not-so-much.

There absolutely is evidence they can beat the Spurs. They've already proven they can WIN no matter what style of basketball they're required to play. Proven in many different match ups this season so far - that ended up in the WIN column for them. And while you're laughing about the "get in line" comment that's exactly what they & all the other teams in the league should do. They are the defending champs until someone else wins, like it or not.

Yea the Spurs won the season before, and 4 different seasons prior to that. But what they haven't done is REPEAT so stop hating on the team that is focused on that task at hand.

Finally, who said the Warriors "got this in the bag"? I think the better question is: Can the Spurs get past the Clippers to even meet up with the Warriors this season. LOL
the Spurs have nothing left to prove except that they can still beat whoever is the best...also it definitely ain't cockiness. both teams fans should believe they can win but when it gets past that and people begin guaranteeing victory, its gone toofar.

pretty sure SA is focused on the task at hand lol

Don't get me started on that fluke LAC victory.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is funny because in one sentence you say things are drastically different now than when they played in the playoffs a couple of seasons ago, yet also say that sample size is what gives you the confidence they would win.

Four things have happened since that playoff series that IMO favor the Warriors.

3. Their core guys have improved their game individually over the summer since becoming champs
4. A few of the Spurs' core have gotten 2 years older but not necessarily better
i said even though it isn't much of a sample...at least its something.

gonna agree to disagree on the rest. i watch more ofthe Spurs, you probably more of the Warriors...can debate all day long on what makes who better but we aren't going to agree in the end lol

Reactions: LAD

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair enough. we can agree to disagree on that last part.

the Spurs have nothing left to prove except that they can still beat whoever is the best...also it definitely ain't cockiness. both teams fans should believe they can win but when it gets past that and people begin guaranteeing victory, its gone toofar.

pretty sure SA is focused on the task at hand lol

Don't get me started on that fluke LAC victory.
Well if they have nothing left to prove then why hasn't Duncan retired and let the new guys get settled in? I love TD and all but clearly he's looking slow out there next to those young bucks.

And I never guaranteed anything. All I said is due to recent events involving the Warriors becoming champs they no longer feel the Spurs are the hurdle they can't get over...or as I said before the "big brother".

And great if they're focused on the task. Their task and the Warriors task just happen to differ slightly this season. :D

Also, I'm not sure you can call the clippers winning that series a fluke. If we were talking about a single game, sure call it a fluke. That was a series - best 4 out of 7. Give them credit - as much as I hate them - they wore the Spurs down to the point that they had nothing left.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said even though it isn't much of a sample...at least its something.

gonna agree to disagree on the rest. i watch more ofthe Spurs, you probably more of the Warriors...can debate all day long on what makes who better but we aren't going to agree in the end lol
Ok, but I will say it's not an accurate sample since things have "drastically" changed. :2cents:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as much as I hate them - they wore the Spurs down to the point that they had nothing left.

Huh??

That is the exact opposite of the series.
The SPURS never got worn down. They were the ones trying to wear down the Clippers as a smart strategy.

The Clippers were more talented but very thin.
The SPURS had lots more energy and endless substitutions.

That series was entirely about the Spurs having 11 players...and the Clippers having 6 players.
It was a TOP HEAVY STARS vs. ENERGY AND DEPTH series.

Pop rotated guy after guy after guy on purpose.......The Clippers impressed me by not tapping out.
The exhausted Clippers starters were able to barely drag their bodies to a tough win.

The Spurs had far more fresher legs but less elite talent. SA could have played another 7 games if needed.
There was no way LAC was winning that game if it went to OT.

And then they had nothing left for a fairly average Rockets team after running themselves into the ground.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh??

That is the exact opposite of the series.
The SPURS never got worn down. They were the ones trying to wear down the Clippers as a smart strategy.

The Clippers were more talented but very thin.
The SPURS had lots more energy and endless substitutions.

That series was entirely about the Spurs having 11 players...and the Clippers having 6 players.
It was a TOP HEAVY STARS vs. ENERGY AND DEPTH series.

Pop rotated guy after guy after guy on purpose.......The Clippers impressed me by not tapping out.
The exhausted Clippers starters were able to barely drag their bodies to a tough win.

The Spurs had far more fresher legs but less elite talent. SA could have played another 7 games if needed.
There was no way LAC was winning that game if it went to OT.

And then they had nothing left for a fairly average Rockets team after running themselves into the ground.
This is interesting....because The Klaw seems to think the Spurs were the more talented team of the two.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is interesting....because The Klaw seems to think the Spurs were the more talented team of the two.
I just said it was a fluke. Spurs should have won that series and everyone knows that. They were favored and the better team. Better talent though? Nah. Better overall TEAM? Absolutely.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this. The Warrirors' core of Curry, Thompson, Green, and Barnes are all just now entering their primes.