• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cavs and Mike Brown have "handshake" agreement to return

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavaliers have a deal in place to bring Mike Brown back as coach, replacing Byron Scott, who replaced Mike Brown three years ago (after Brown had led the Cavaliers to back-to-back 60-win seasons with LeBron James, but lost in the playoffs).
Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal broke the news

"Mike Brown and the Cavaliers have reached a handshake agreement on a new deal, a league source told the Akron Beacon Journal on Tuesday. An official announcement should be made Wednesday."

There are still some issues to work out, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. This is a five-year deal but with a buyout in the final year, Woj reports. The real issues may revolve around how much say Brown would have players/personnel decisions. But it appears they are not big hurdles to climb. Also, talks are ongoing about how much the Lakers would still owe Brown of his $4 million salary for next season they owe him.

Brown had started the season as the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, trying to install a Princeton-hybrid offense that Kobe Bryant has asked for, but that lasted all of five games before he was fired. In an effort to talk to every Lakers coach of the last decade (except Frank Hamblen) the Cavaliers also reached out to Phil Jackson. But bringing him out of retirement was going to be very costly and he would want a lot of power.
Brown makes more sense. Yes, he’s a retread. But he’s a defense-first coach and that is what he Cavaliers need right now — they can score as long as Kyrie Irving is healthy, but they were 26th in the NBA in defensive efficiency (points allowed per possession) last season. Improve that end and the team can make a big jump.

Some of you will be asking “what does this do to Cleveland’s chances to land LeBron in 2014?” I would say nothing — I don’t think Cleveland was ever really in the running. I don’t think there is much of a running, period. Despite how much people like to speculate about it, very few people in the know think LeBron is leaving Miami when he opts out, he’s just going to get a new deal with the Heat. I’ve heard multiple people who know LeBron better than I say they think he will return to Cleveland at the end of his career, but not in 2014.

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mike brown couldn't help coach the Lakers how the hell is he going to help the cabs without lebron there?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOW the hell is this dude still getting jobs???

If it's one thing I've seen repeatedly from Mike Brown coached teams, it's lack of an offense and situational awareness. He was supposed to be a defensive guru but the Lakers actually got WORSE with him as coach on D.

THIS is why the Cavs can't ever win.......horrible FO, HC, and unless they draft them, they can't attract talent. They may as well move the team.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOW the hell is this dude still getting jobs???

If it's one thing I've seen repeatedly from Mike Brown coached teams, it's lack of an offense and situational awareness. He was supposed to be a defensive guru but the Lakers actually got WORSE with him as coach on D.

THIS is why the Cavs can't ever win.......horrible FO, HC, and unless they draft them, they can't attract talent. They may as well move the team.

your guess is as good as mine. i was one of the first to say "AW, HELL NO" when he first came on board here in L.A....

CL67

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I dont know if thats such a good idea. The Lakers sucked at D which is supposed to be his specialty. Is it possible he has regressed?

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really doesn't make sense but then again, it's not like guys are lining up to coach the Cavs either. Brown won't have to deal with big ego's and old legs. He'll have just the opposite in Cleveland.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ Cleveland.......................once again. :L :lol:

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Brown is a great coach. Before he was fired he had consecutive seasons of 60 or more wins. The year after he got fired, they only won like 25 games.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Brown is a great coach. Before he was fired he had consecutive seasons of 60 or more wins. The year after he got fired, they only won like 25 games.

Try a different kind of bait Sman. That was pretty transparent for a world class troll like you!!

RedRum

You Cant Handle the Truth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really Cleveland , really? You just cant fix stupid.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FML !!!!!!!!

Brown sucks, LBJ made that team...a dumbshit knows that!

FUCK!!!!

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One word Lebron. C'mon you can't be that fucking dumb.

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it wasn't Lebron. It was losing Mike Brown, Shaq, Z, West, and (varajeo? Mo Williams to injury), and Lebron as well....Losing 6 key players and a great coach was why they went from penthouse to basement....

....I love how Lebron nut lovers, laughably try giving Lebron all the credit. When clearly it had more to do with losing all their big men, and the coach....

This is why Lebron is so hated. He's all hype and nothing to back it up, except a career of choking...

Peace!!

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and he's laughin all the way to the bank with his new deal and the $10 mill from Lakers....

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown makes more sense. Yes, he’s a retread. But he’s a defense-first coach and that is what he Cavaliers need right now — they can score as long as Kyrie Irving is healthy, but they were 26th in the NBA in defensive efficiency (points allowed per possession) last season. Improve that end and the team can make a big jump.

I agree Jim_Doors! For me it makes sense too...

Some of you will be asking “what does this do to Cleveland’s chances to land LeBron in 2014?”

I'm not sure, who knows... Maybe he really wants to make good on his promise???? I've seen a lot of maturity from LeBron over the last 3 years so who knows, now that he's got his... maybe it's time for this guy to make good on his word. That would be pretty cool if he actually did that! I'd be rooting for him for sure and I think most of America would be too.. Could you imagine what his popularity would be???? Off the charts..
I’ve heard multiple people who know LeBron better than I say they think he will return to Cleveland at the end of his career, but not in 2014.

He needs to return when he can actually make good on his word, any contract that comes after 2014 he will be more of a role player than anything else...

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and he's laughin all the way to the bank with his new deal and the $10 mill from Lakers....
I read where there might have been a stipulation in Brown's Laker contract to where they might not have to pay him now he has another coaching gig.

Not sure though??

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, let's face it. there's a lot of stupid people in the world, but i have yet to find anyone stupid enough to not want 10 mil...

CL67
Depends on how important coaching is to him. Once you have a couple of million the rest is just gravy.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how important coaching is to him. Once you have a couple of million the rest is just gravy.

guess so. i'd have to say that if i was in his shoes(that much jack AND making that decision) it'd be a good problem to have...

CL67