• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carson's next contract will break the bank!

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers' massive deal will impact Wentz and Eagles a lot.

He's probably going to get a 10 year deal approaching $300M. I hope that the cap goes up an awful lot starting next year. A lot!! Howie, better stockpile a lot of tough OL's, and protect this baby!Also, get some real stud WR's.
He has to stay healthy to see that kind of money.
"Also, get some real stud WR's". - I seem to remember saying that last April.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I recognize that we have good WRs - Alshon, Nelson, Ertz, and Dallas, but I'm talking about down the road, Howie needs to keep Carson surrounded by a top OL, and always make sure he has top weapons to work with.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I recognize that we have good WRs - Alshon, Nelson, Ertz, and Dallas, but I'm talking about down the road, Howie needs to keep Carson surrounded by a top OL, and always make sure he has top weapons to work with.

Unfortunately this is the grey cloud on the future that gets my attention the most.

It’s market dynamics, highlighted best by the recent Rogers extension. I just find myself struggling when one player gets 1/4 of the cap and the other 3/4 has to spread out over 52 more guys. I think it’s been proven to narrow the success factor in roster building....a factor that’s already proven to be rough to do. I feel that Rogers has given up hope that his team can build a winner around him well enough and taken the money. Luckily that’s not the case with us to this point.

At the same time....I think Wentz is of such solid value as to command such a big chunk of the pie. I’m just hopeful the team and Wentz can work out some crafty deal that values him appropriately while keeping the team flexible enough with salary to put all those good pieces around him. My biggest fear is that we become the next Seahawks....able to be ultra competitive while having an all star caliber QB under a manageable rookie deal. It gets so much harder to do when success is there and guys (not just QB) start pushing higher and higher values.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the reason that the NFL doesn't pay contracts based on % of the cap, and instead utilizes a system of 4-5 year plans, and pays people with bonuses in given years. We just need to find a year where we can afford to pay him huge in 1 year, and lower the cap hit in other years. Wentz will work with the team, and I am sure they will work it out. The cap will also be going up, and we have locked down a lot of the defense right now. This is why you MUST devalue certain positions and count on doing a good job in scouting and free agency. This is why Robinson was let go, who is probably the biggest hit to the entire defense. You have to be able to cut these guys, to pay guys like Cox and eventually Wentz. We don't have huge contracts at RB or WR either. They know the business, and they will get it done. Wentz doesn't have to be the highest paid player in the league... to be shown respect and paid in a way that makes him grateful and happy. They will get it done.

I do agree about the assessment on Rogers tho, and he is just getting his.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typically large QB salaries take so much away from the rest of the team that they begin a decline. Got to win now.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady gets a lot of flack, mostly from jealous fans, but he should be given major props for signing a well below market deal so they had the ability to fill out the rest of the team.

HuskerNGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady gets a lot of flack, mostly from jealous fans, but he should be given major props for signing a well below market deal so they had the ability to fill out the rest of the team.

Yes he, in more ways than one, contributes to the teams success more than any player ever. But they convert most of his salary into signing bonus which obviously turns it into guaranteed money. I'm too lazy but i'd be interested to know his signing bonus/guarantees vs other contracts guaranteed money. I bet it stacks up very well to market value. Props to him and patriots for working the system in their favor. I hope Eagles and Wentz work the same.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he, in more ways than one, contributes to the teams success more than any player ever. But they convert most of his salary into signing bonus which obviously turns it into guaranteed money. I'm too lazy but i'd be interested to know his signing bonus/guarantees vs other contracts guaranteed money. I bet it stacks up very well to market value. Props to him and patriots for working the system in their favor. I hope Eagles and Wentz work the same.

I was tempted to comment on this last night....that hell year Brady has done so much to help his team stay competitive over his career. But this post challenged me to hit the numbers and history a bit. This was a pretty good page.

Tom Brady Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

I did not have time to super dig into this.....but on a decent run through the numbers I think this supports what Husker says......the Patriots and Brady have basically kicked the can a couple of times over his career to free up cap room to bring in other players. Now it is better understood that the player is not doing something noble, per se. Their win is getting that bonus all up front. Brady just seems to possibly one of the first instances of this...and in not understanding the process just yet the media generally reported it as "Tom being an amazing selfless teammate".

Something I hope a degree of plays into for Carson.....but I also don't blame him for getting what he can get.