• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Capitals vs. Rangers - Round 2

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm. Something new and different, I see. Caps-Rangers is set to be a tight series (per usual) and will most likely go 7. Yawn. But really, Rangers are the best team in the East, but I think the Caps their most challenging opponent. Expect a low scoring, hard fought, series that will end up being decided by Holtby v Hank. Should be fun, excited to still be watching Caps hockey.

Obligatory:

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers better watch out though, Kuzy's coming for them....

Evgeny-Kuznetsov-Caps.jpg

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be a real fun series - I think it should go the distance

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way this goes 7. Sorry Caps fans. Not going to happen. Your goalie is a sieve, and your offense is shut down too easily. You barely got by the Isles, the Rangers are in a whole different league.

Rangers in 5. Maybe a sweep. Lundqvist v. Holtby. Thats all anyone needs to know about this series.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way this goes 7. Sorry Caps fans. Not going to happen. Your goalie is a sieve, and your offense is shut down too easily. You barely got by the Isles, the Rangers are in a whole different league.

Rangers in 5. Maybe a sweep. Lundqvist v. Holtby. Thats all anyone needs to know about this series.

Well there goes that. No reason to watch now I guess damnit
:L If you think Holtbys a sieve you've been watching the leafs too long.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there goes that. No reason to watch now I guess damnit
:L If you think Holtbys a sieve you've been watching the leafs too long.

Yeah, watching the Leafs does make me a bit of an expert on sieves. My view on Holtby is objective and based on facts. Like the fact of the goal last night :doh:. Ninth shot, so I guess he was tired. Oh, and then there is the fact of all the Vezina noms Holtby has.

You can quibble about the word "sieve" all you want, but Lundqvist and Holtby are not even in the same league skill-wise.

Sure the Oilers of the 80s had Fuhr and Moog. But they could score. All I am saying is that the Caps do not have the consistent playoff offense to overcome mediocre goaltending.

I guess we will agree to disagree then :suds:

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll just keep this one bookmarked.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, watching the Leafs does make me a bit of an expert on sieves. My view on Holtby is objective and based on facts. Like the fact of the goal last night :doh:. Ninth shot, so I guess he was tired. Oh, and then there is the fact of all the Vezina noms Holtby has.

You can quibble about the word "sieve" all you want, but Lundqvist and Holtby are not even in the same league skill-wise.

Sure the Oilers of the 80s had Fuhr and Moog. But they could score. All I am saying is that the Caps do not have the consistent playoff offense to overcome mediocre goaltending.

Dude. Since when is a .943 SV% and a 1.63 GAA mediocre?

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is holtby as good as The king? No. Is Holtby a sieve? No. Any goalie with over 40 wins is a good goalie IMO. Did The Rangers look awesome in taking out the Pens? Not really in my book and if they play the same way against the caps it's going more than 5 games

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That .943 isn't just on 10 shots each game either. Game 7 was an anomaly for the Isles offense. Holtby was facing 35 a night. Caps won that series bc of Holtby.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is holtby as good as The king? No. Is Holtby a sieve? No. Any goalie with over 40 wins is a good goalie IMO. Did The Rangers look awesome in taking out the Pens? Not really in my book and if they play the same way against the caps it's going more than 5 games

Holtby has a tendency to brainfart, but he usually gets away with it (last night excluded). But when he is on, he is ON. He is not as good as Lundquist, Bobrovsky, Rinne or Price. But he's very clearly second tier, and top second tier. He's every bit as good as Miller, Bishop, Howard and Crawford, etc.

The Rangers were not as convincing as they should have been against the Pens. The Offence somewhat dried up and they didn't really seem to be able to get through that abysmal Pens D. This series is not going to be the slam dunk the Rangers might think.

I expect the Kuzy/Chimera line to cause problems for the Rags.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of goalies with previous playoff experience, Holtby has the best career playoff sv% out of the remaining goalers. This series is gonna be just as tight as the WAS-NYI series.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

6 games. Not a big enough sample size. Particularly when it is against one team.

Now if you want to quote Holtby's regular season numbers, you have a better argument.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of goalies with previous playoff experience, Holtby has the best career playoff sv% out of the remaining goalers. This series is gonna be just as tight as the WAS-NYI series.

The logical inference from that conclusion is that the NYR are equivalent to NYI. So I looked it up. Both scored 252 goals this year. NYR led by Nash and Brassard, NYI by Tavares and Okposo. Seems like NYR then has a more balanced offense, not so heavily weighted on one player (JT). This is an advantage in the playoffs.

NYR gave up 38 fewer goals this year then NYI did. Almost half a goal a game. Lundqvist (statistically) was better than Halak this year.

Then there is the intangible of a veteran team (NYR) versus a young, inexperienced team (NYI).

So, comparing NYR and NYI, NYR has a more balanced offense, less susceptible to shut down, gives up 1/2 goal a game fewer and has a ton more playoff experience.

Yet WSH was life and death to beat the NYI.

Anything can happen. Ovie could run King Henrik and you can throw all predictions out the window. As it stands right now though, NYR is a much tougher opponent (on paper) then NYI.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The logical inference from that conclusion is that the NYR are equivalent to NYI. So I looked it up. Both scored 252 goals this year. NYR led by Nash and Brassard, NYI by Tavares and Okposo. Seems like NYR then has a more balanced offense, not so heavily weighted on one player (JT). This is an advantage in the playoffs.

NYR gave up 38 fewer goals this year then NYI did. Almost half a goal a game. Lundqvist (statistically) was better than Halak this year.

Then there is the intangible of a veteran team (NYR) versus a young, inexperienced team (NYI).

So, comparing NYR and NYI, NYR has a more balanced offense, less susceptible to shut down, gives up 1/2 goal a game fewer and has a ton more playoff experience.

Yet WSH was life and death to beat the NYI.

Anything can happen. Ovie could run King Henrik and you can throw all predictions out the window. As it stands right now though, NYR is a much tougher opponent (on paper) then NYI.
NYR could barely get the puck past MAF and Pittsburgh's makeshift defence. Remove Zucs from the equation, and offence is going to be even harder to come by.