• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

cap space

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So Whitner takes up say $3M in cap space and Braylon just $1M because I think he will be great but I don't think he'll hit his incentives of 90 catches and making the Pro Bowl. That's real tough, he has to beat out Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, Fitzgerald, etc.

So aren't we still at least $15M under the cap?

This is freaking awesome.

I say we should use that money up on some more 1-2 year cap friendly deals after roster cuts.

1) Perhaps a veteran guard (to push Rachal/Snyder) Leonard Davis? Talk about road grader guards Iupati and Davis!

2) a backup vet QB in case Alex goes down and Kap is not ready

3) a vet CB

Anything else on the shopping list?

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There's a cap space thread a few below this.

In terms of what the teams still needs- who is the backup OT? I think that's the biggest need.

3rd QB is obviously a position the team will add.

5th defensive lineman is another important one. Fangio said he wanted to rotate the dline often, keep them fresh. Francois is a good player to have as the first guy off the bench, but if one of those top 4 guys gets hurt, you want someone serviceable to be able to come in. Not sure the niners have anyone who is the clear cut next guy.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a cap space thread a few below this.

In terms of what the teams still needs- who is the backup OT? I think that's the biggest need.

3rd QB is obviously a position the team will add.

5th defensive lineman is another important one. Fangio said he wanted to rotate the dline often, keep them fresh. Francois is a good player to have as the first guy off the bench, but if one of those top 4 guys gets hurt, you want someone serviceable to be able to come in. Not sure the niners have anyone who is the clear cut next guy.

I'd be looking at Boone or Snyder. Simms is there if those two don't look good in camp. Would always be open to a reasonably priced upgrade should it become available.

Achilles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two players I'm interested in are Matt Roth and Kirk Morrison.

Achilles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Has Morrison's play held up the last couple years and does he fit a 3-4?

He had a subpar year last year for his standards -- 89 tackles (First year he didn't break 100). What caught my interest about him was this article saying why the Chargers should sign him, and this part comparing him to Takeo:

"He's a veteran presence and paired with Spikes would make the run defense up the middle unbearable for opponents' running backs.

Both are known for being great run stoppers and are built as such. Spikes is listed at 6'2" and 242 pounds while Morrison is listed at 6'2" and 240 pounds. Both are built like freight trains and are as solid as football players come."

NFL Free Agency: San Diego Chargers Should Sign Kirk Morrison | Bleacher Report

He's 29, and from California which I'm sure helps. Not sure how Bowman looks so far, and even if he's looking good, I don't think we have any depth behind him. Signing him for a 1 year seems like a good move.

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If another big name FA shows up (maybe now, but in the future) I say we go after him. I haven't had a look at next year's FAs, but if we hold tight with what we have, we can make even more moves next summer.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm left wondering what else we have planned roster wise. Do we pick up some more guys that get cut? Do we give Hayden a look see to try and improve CB some more? Pick up a G and/or OT that is capable of starting? From what I have read Kap is further along than expected so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to bring in a Vet and take away his practice reps. Do we bring in a guy like Snelling for short yardage? Ah should be interesting. Stashing Gaither would be something that interests me.

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm left wondering what else we have planned roster wise. Do we pick up some more guys that get cut? Do we give Hayden a look see to try and improve CB some more? Pick up a G and/or OT that is capable of starting? From what I have read Kap is further along than expected so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to bring in a Vet and take away his practice reps. Do we bring in a guy like Snelling for short yardage? Ah should be interesting. Stashing Gaither would be something that interests me.

I think Dixon is going to be our short-yardage guy. Cap space never hurts. We could make trades with teams looking to unload a contract of a good player. I'm just happy we have all of this space.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading that Dixon is still dancing too much. That is a recipe for disaster in short yardage.

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Are there any good lists out there with available FAs? Ideally sorted by position or skill, not by team...

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt mind bringing in another DB, a vet QB and a DL

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At this point a rb (Snelling, ricky Williams) and a dlineman are at the top of my list. Rotating players on the DL could go a long way in keeping pressure on QBs.

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Randall Gay at CB would seem like a good insurance pickup

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really like this idea. We can certainly use the depth if nothing else. My only concern would be what kind of a contract he would be looking for? He might be another one of those 1 year contracts which we certainly have the cap space for.