• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Canucks vs Flames - Round 1

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i saw you posted early last night that the game was good dash but i didnt think the first 2 periods were great hockey ... maybe because i switched over from the preds / hawks game :noidea:

the playoff tension saved it early imo

I just thought there was great flow and end-to-end action, I couldn't believe how fast the first period flew by.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uneven would be a good way to describe it ... ppg right now in the playoffs ... not sure if hes an A level talent ... scored some glorious play of the year type goals but i wonder about the work ethic ... I dont think its Bo Horvat level work ethic so that worries me
It was a draft where scouts really had to do their work to get it right. If guys like Ehlers, Nylander and Ritchie end up being top line talents and Virtanen sinks down to a third line role, it'd be tough to blame them for making the pick. Likewise, those guys could all falter at the NHL level and it would just be pegged to a draft that looked weak from the outset and followed through. Thankless job.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a draft where scouts really had to do their work to get it right. If guys like Ehlers, Nylander and Ritchie end up being top line talents and Virtanen sinks down to a third line role, it'd be tough to blame them for making the pick. Likewise, those guys could all falter at the NHL level and it would just be pegged to a draft that looked weak from the outset and followed through. Thankless job.

Bennings a pretty good judge of talent at the draft ... but knowing Virtanen wasnt his first choice makes you wonder

this year, it sounds like he is taking every opportunity to watch hometown boy Matt Barzal play ... Probably who they are targeting this draft

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard some talk last night on the post-game show of calling up Sven Baertschi if the Canucks continue to have trouble lighting the lamp.

/9 goals in their last 7 home playoff games.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard some talk last night on the post-game show of calling up Sven Baertschi if the Canucks continue to have trouble lighting the lamp.

Chris Higgins ... pointless in his last 14 playoff games

thank god he can kill penalties :L

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennings a pretty good judge of talent at the draft ... but knowing Virtanen wasnt his first choice makes you wonder

this year, it sounds like he is taking every opportunity to watch hometown boy Matt Barzal play ... Probably who they are targeting this draft
Barzal could be a hidden gem. Canucks would be lucky if he were to fall to them, especially if they win a round.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was surprised he was sent down. I know it had to do with players returning from injury etc. but it just seemed to make a lot of sense to keep him.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised he was sent down. I know it had to do with players returning from injury etc. but it just seemed to make a lot of sense to keep him.

I think the dilemma is he needs to be in the top 6, but who do you take out? Meanwhile, only an injury to Bennett will give Raymond a chance to get back on the ice.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it was no surprise to him ... he knew he was being sent down ... probably motivated him to play that well in the final meaningless home game v the Oilers

bae is a top 6 guy but the organization is hanging on to this belief that Higgins is a top 6 "glue guy" when hes more of a glue factory guy

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the dilemma is he needs to be in the top 6, but who do you take out? Meanwhile, only an injury to Bennett will give Raymond a chance to get back on the ice.
I think the consensus is Higgins lol.

How many more years you guys stuck with Raymond the Mason? 2?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baertschi is a long term solution for a top 6 role ... there is no way WillieD sucks up his fear of young players and puts him the top 6 NOW ... took him forever to trust a guy like Bo Horvat who works all day

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was no surprise to him ... he knew he was being sent down ... probably motivated him to play that well in the final meaningless home game v the Oilers

bae is a top 6 guy but the organization is hanging on to this belief that Higgins is a top 6 "glue guy" when hes more of a glue factory guy
lol.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am concerned about Monahan though, he didn't look too comfortable last night and had a terrible night in the face-off circle (reported shoulder injury may be quite serious).

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drance:

Don't blame the Sedins

They didn’t generate a point and its team didn’t win the game, but Vancouver’s twin brothers Henrik and Daniel Sedin were dominant.

Canucks head coach Willie Desjardins rolled the twins in a strength-on-strength matchup against the Sean Monahan line.

The NHL’s play-by-play data assures us that Monahan – who may be bothered by both illness and a bum shoulder – logged over 20 minutes in Game 1, but it was hard to tell since he seemed to be pinned in his own end of the rink for the entire contest.

Both Henrik and Daniel finished with on-ice shot attempt differentials north of 75 per cent in Game 1, and along with linemate Alex Burrows, combined for nine of Vancouver’s 30 shots.

“That's usually what happens when you don't put them away,” Henrik said after the contest. “Danny had some great chances in front and we had a lot of chances too where it could've been game over, but if you don't score there then one shot is going to hurt you.”

If Jonas Hiller doesn’t rob Daniel on several occasions – on a clean shot in the slot, or with a flashy catch on a pointblank slap shot – we’re probably spending the next 48 hours asking how the Flames can contain the twins.

We probably should be anyway, actually.

Calgary may have stolen home-ice advantage from the Canucks on Wednesday night, but if they can’t find a way to hang with the twins at even-strength, then a flurry of goals against is inevitable.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drance:

Don't blame the Sedins

They didn’t generate a point and its team didn’t win the game, but Vancouver’s twin brothers Henrik and Daniel Sedin were dominant.

Canucks head coach Willie Desjardins rolled the twins in a strength-on-strength matchup against the Sean Monahan line.

The NHL’s play-by-play data assures us that Monahan – who may be bothered by both illness and a bum shoulder – logged over 20 minutes in Game 1, but it was hard to tell since he seemed to be pinned in his own end of the rink for the entire contest.

Both Henrik and Daniel finished with on-ice shot attempt differentials north of 75 per cent in Game 1, and along with linemate Alex Burrows, combined for nine of Vancouver’s 30 shots.

“That's usually what happens when you don't put them away,” Henrik said after the contest. “Danny had some great chances in front and we had a lot of chances too where it could've been game over, but if you don't score there then one shot is going to hurt you.”

If Jonas Hiller doesn’t rob Daniel on several occasions – on a clean shot in the slot, or with a flashy catch on a pointblank slap shot – we’re probably spending the next 48 hours asking how the Flames can contain the twins.

We probably should be anyway, actually.

Calgary may have stolen home-ice advantage from the Canucks on Wednesday night, but if they can’t find a way to hang with the twins at even-strength, then a flurry of goals against is inevitable.

So, to paraphrase: It was just one game, and things will even out.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ then they both moved out of the way when the shot came

:L

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash