• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Canuck's Roving Maple Leafs Chronicles!!!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything about the Leafs is confusing and frustrating. Salute Gate is just...come on. I understand the idiocy that is making a big deal out of it, but if this is something that they typically did after wins, the timing of suddenly not doing it is pretty much awful. *Fans angrily throw jerseys to ice* *star player says that's crap* *team wins* *doesn't salute crowd* It's not something to be up in arms about, but one can see why certain fans came to the conclusion that it was intentional/with malice.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God Help Me, I Do Care About The Maple Leafs' Stupid Salute Controversy

"The Maple Leafs—or more specifically, their fans and their media—have a talent. Every controversy seems to immediately skip a stage and go directly to the meta. It's been 12 hours, and it's no longer about whether the Leafs deliberately snubbed their fans by skipping the customary stick salute after last night's win. It's already about whether anyone should care if they did, and if caring makes you a good fan or a bad fan. It must be fucking exhausting to follow this team on a daily basis."

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God Help Me, I Do Care About The Maple Leafs' Stupid Salute Controversy

"The Maple Leafs—or more specifically, their fans and their media—have a talent. Every controversy seems to immediately skip a stage and go directly to the meta. It's been 12 hours, and it's no longer about whether the Leafs deliberately snubbed their fans by skipping the customary stick salute after last night's win. It's already about whether anyone should care if they did, and if caring makes you a good fan or a bad fan. It must be fucking exhausting to follow this team on a daily basis."

Comment from that link:

Surprise. Now the Leafs are dumping on fans.

You think it's easy being a fan? One day you're on top of the world, then the next day Electromechanical cooling comes along, runs roughshod over your empire, and you're cast aside to live in the repugnant shadow of BIG Air Conditioning - a mere afterthought in the mind of a homeowner.

Pick on someone else, Leafs.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comment from that link:

Surprise. Now the Leafs are dumping on fans.

You think it's easy being a fan? One day you're on top of the world, then the next day Electromechanical cooling comes along, runs roughshod over your empire, and you're cast aside to live in the repugnant shadow of BIG Air Conditioning - a mere afterthought in the mind of a homeowner.

Pick on someone else, Leafs.

Hahahah, I was seriously considering putting that one in here. Cracked me up.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dreger Report: Alfredsson's comeback bid about to end - Article - TSN

This tidbit contained within the "Dreger Report", the player being discussed is obvious:

As bad as he's been on some nights and as handcuffed as some believe Toronto is by his multi-year contract and $7 million cap hit, there is a trade market for him that's at least 10 teams deep (Calgary included).

On the one hand, I can see this being Dreger trying to generate a market for his brother-in-law to try to get out from under a terrible contract for a terrible player.

On the other, he says 10 teams and specifically name-drops Calgary. Now, that might just be because Brian Burke is the one exec who can't say he'd be interested in trading for Phaneuf because he already did it and loved him, but this all seems a lot more specific than it had to be if Nonis was just trying to get a bit of a buzz going.

Canuck eh?

Big Flat Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An undisclosed Leafs player told Sportsnet's Chris Johnston that the club was looking to change things up and the lack of salute was not intended as a snub to Leafs fans, but this particular change of routine is peculiar in the wake the fan's heightened responses to the team's inconsistent play this season.

B2_hbjDIUAI1vGi.jpg:large

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dreger Report: Alfredsson's comeback bid about to end - Article - TSN

This tidbit contained within the "Dreger Report", the player being discussed is obvious:

As bad as he's been on some nights and as handcuffed as some believe Toronto is by his multi-year contract and $7 million cap hit, there is a trade market for him that's at least 10 teams deep (Calgary included).

On the one hand, I can see this being Dreger trying to generate a market for his brother-in-law to try to get out from under a terrible contract for a terrible player.

On the other, he says 10 teams and specifically name-drops Calgary. Now, that might just be because Brian Burke is the one exec who can't say he'd be interested in trading for Phaneuf because he already did it and loved him, but this all seems a lot more specific than it had to be if Nonis was just trying to get a bit of a buzz going.

Just like shoving two fingers in your ass.......IT STINKS!

Canuck eh?

Big Flat Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why it hasn't occurred to me before but Celine's initials are DP!!!!!

Very appropriate.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An undisclosed Leafs player told Sportsnet's Chris Johnston that the club was looking to change things up and the lack of salute was not intended as a snub to Leafs fans, but this particular change of routine is peculiar in the wake the fan's heightened responses to the team's inconsistent play this season.

B2_hbjDIUAI1vGi.jpg:large

Honestly who gives a shit. I don't like the Euro salute. Nor do I like the 3 stars of the game. MSG got my money either way; on t.v. or in person....so Im happy enough with them picking my pockets most nights. be done with it.

On a side note, big ups for Toronto fans.....when the mic cut out the other night, they sang the national anthem.....thanks! True Canadian Class:suds:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can this just fucking stop already? I don't give a fuck one way or the other but how did these morons think the media was going to handle this? If you're going to choose to do something, back yourselves up. Don't pussy out when the heat is on.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Leafs need to hire the Dark Lord for interview coaching. Sure works for the Pats.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can this just fucking stop already? I don't give a fuck one way or the other but how did these morons think the media was going to handle this? If you're going to choose to do something, back yourselves up. Don't pussy out when the heat is on.

They simply should know better. That's what's annoying about all this. You play in Toronto, you had to know this wouldn't end well. So trying to cover your butt by saying something asinine ('we're just changing up the routine' which simply shows it was intentional) or ignoring the questions about it seems juvenile. It shouldn't be a big deal at all, but in the context of the situation it's inexcusable. Again, they're in Toronto...you're under the microscope. You can't tell me they weren't aware of that.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They simply should know better. That's what's annoying about all this. You play in Toronto, you had to know this wouldn't end well. So trying to cover your butt by saying something asinine ('we're just changing up the routine' which simply shows it was intentional) or ignoring the questions about it seems juvenile. It shouldn't be a big deal at all, but in the context of the situation it's inexcusable. Again, they're in Toronto...you're under the microscope. You can't tell me they weren't aware of that.

Pure doltishness. No excuse, either way.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you expect when Celine's your "leader"? :noidea:

All hell to break loose.

Seriously, I couldn't give a crap either way about some silly salute, but if he decided it was retribution to the fans - those 15 out of literally millions who threw jerseys on the ice - then he's a complete idiot. Well, he's an idiot either way, it's just that this would now make him a complete one.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig Button (who's a dolt by the way) was losing his mind about this topic and thinks the Leafs need a new captain if this was planned. I think the Leafs do need a new captain (not because of this latest thing), but who gets the 'C'? Who woud want the 'C'?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All hell to break loose.

Seriously, I couldn't give a crap either way about some silly salute, but if he decided it was retribution to the fans - those 15 out of literally millions who threw jerseys on the ice - then he's a complete idiot. Well, he's an idiot either way, it's just that this would now make him a complete one.

I feel the same way about the salute. It's mostly forced these days and has no organic impetus so who gives a rat's arse?

But if this was supposed to be some scheme to "show those fans a thing or two!!", I really don't know what to say.

Is buddy who threw his Jersey on the ice gonna cry himself to sleep because he didn't get his salute? Gimme a goddam break. This might be an all-time low for player-media-fan relations in the history of the NHL. This is so juvenile that I can't really even get my head around it.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig Button (who's a dolt by the way) was losing his mind about this topic and thinks the Leafs need a new captain if this was planned. I think the Leafs do need a new captain (not because of this latest thing), but who gets the 'C'? Who woud want the 'C'?

Wendel Clarkson?? :hockeysmile:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in Toronto (the original title of the Comedy Platinum out of Toronto thread) could this molehill turn into a mountain.