• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can the NFL get too big for its' own good?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. If someone can suggest something that might take its place Sept-Jan in the hearts and minds of sports fans we can have that conversation. But until then, no.

I guess I should qualify this. Yes, football could get too big for it's own good if it tries to expand too much or to places in shouldn't. But it could always simply contract again and in the grand scheme of things I don't think it will get appreciably less popular than it currently is regardless.

Last edited:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem I have with the NFL is quality of play. Their aren't enough good teams in the league. When you know the AFC Championship game is going to be a blowout right after we know the matchup there's a serious problem in terms of talent level in the league.

Meh thats a weak point imo. The NE Indy game was an anomoly last year. Why not look at the NFCCG which was a nail biter, or the superbowl which was close right down to the last second.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh thats a weak point imo. The NE Indy game was an anomoly last year. Why not look at the NFCCG which was a nail biter, or the superbowl which was close right down to the last second.

When there are only maybe 4 teams that have a shot at the Super Bowl it's not good for the league. There just aren't enough good QB's in the league. That's not going to change anytime soon either.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When there are only maybe 4 teams that have a shot at the Super Bowl it's not good for the league. There just aren't enough good QB's in the league. That's not going to change anytime soon either.

Man how soon we forget. Sure Seattle has been really good the last two years and got there as the 1 seed and denver and NE the same. But the giants the year before were low seeded, heck they were low seeded for both their trips right? The packers too when they won. The steelers in 05.

Sounds like a fan of a team thats just always crappy whining a little imo....

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also,,,, so are you now insinuating that Wilson is an elite QB>? Cause I swear in all the other posts I read about him on this board he's just a short game manager that only got there cause of beast mode and the Defense......

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the concussion issue is going to go away. This doesn't bode well for the future of the NFL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem I have with the NFL is quality of play. Their aren't enough good teams in the league. When you know the AFC Championship game is going to be a blowout right after we know the matchup there's a serious problem in terms of talent level in the league.

Quality...subjective...I think the quality of play is fine overall all.

Good teams...I agree with this, and largely because of QB play. But...because the NFL chooses to use CFB as it's minor league program...more and more the top HS QB recruits are dual threat players and the read option is very successful at that level...the number of HS that are producing drop back QB talent is becoming scarce.

In other cases...teams just miss @ the position.

Talent...overall I think the talent is there, but understand not every team is going to have a stud @ QB but they can have a competitive team if they draft well...especially when they are not a playoff caliber team...imo...in the NFL, the way the draft, revenue sharing, etc. is setup, there is no reason to be a .500 or worse team for long periods of time...over a 10 yr period, you should make the playoffs at least 2 or 3 times imo.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes... Sometime in the future, they will get too big and start making unnecessary changes to the game. I think it is already shown in the MLB: sporting events have become more about the experience than the game itself. I went to a Diamondbacks game last week and it seemed like no one was even paying attention to the game.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the concussion issue is going to go away. This doesn't bode well for the future of the NFL.
I don't think there's any way to avoid it unless there is some new miracle helmet that is invented.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use to love the nfl draft. mcshay and kiper have ruined it for me over the yrs. the bs they spew from the end of the season until the few days before draft night have turned me off to the event. I also hate the 3 date event. Saturday morning use to be a treat. I still haven't lost any interest in the actual games though

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use to love the nfl draft. mcshay and kiper have ruined it for me over the yrs. the bs they spew from the end of the season until the few days before draft night have turned me off to the event. I also hate the 3 date event. Saturday morning use to be a treat. I still haven't lost any interest in the actual games though

After 40+ yrs of watching the NFL...I'm just now really getting into the draft, but I don't watch it live.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berman struggling to breath is a little much too.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fans at the event are the worst too

I just think the build up and hype for players who aint done shit as pros is backwards...rookies should come in with little fanfare.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great response. I'm with you. On the medical side I would add that the possibilitn children now not playing football. This could effect the future of tge NFL.

Thats when The NFL can start to suffer. A buddy just had his first kid a couple of months ago and has out and out said he will never let him play football. Not high school or even little leauge. He's a huge football fan but all the medical reports has him terrified of what could happen to his son if he plays, at any level.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL will be fine for a while. The big issue is that parents are going to point their children away from football. That could be the killer, but it's going to be a while before it can get bad. Folks in Texas and some other places still live to see their kids play football. I'll be dead before NFL falls off the map.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is the most popular professional sport in America. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
American fans are football crazy about their NFL product. But if they keep making new dumb play rules to destroy the original core of the game, trying to add overseas teams, etc. Soon enough the NFL will destroy it's own product and turn people off. Goodell is a complete cancer for the league. If he stays around another decade he'll destroy the league's success and fan loyalty.