• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is the NFL next

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not looking good for MLB and is NFL next?

NFL Network reports the league's salary cap could decline for 2021.
The cap been soaring skyward in recent years, reaching $198.2 million for the upcoming season, but with fan-less games all but a certainty for the fall, the league is facing revenue shortfalls. The league's media apparatus claims the goal is "to make sure the salary cap goes up or at worst stays flat," but professional sports leagues never operate out of the goodness of their hearts. The NFLPA could have a real fight on its hands this summer. The sides would like to have an agreement hammered out before training camp. Similar talks have been going extremely poorly between the MLBPA and Major League Baseball.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. The MLB union is far stronger and more united than the NFLs. The owners will crush them per usual

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with a salary cap, it would be very difficult to reduce the cap # because teams have handed out long term contracts that are locked in. What, are players like russell wilson going to get cut just so the seahawks can get under the cap # ?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with a salary cap, it would be very difficult to reduce the cap # because teams have handed out long term contracts that are locked in. What, are players like russell wilson going to get cut just so the seahawks can get under the cap # ?
Lot of ways to create cap room, but they'd just go uncapped, if just for a year or two, if things got bad enough I am guessing to circumnavigate a fight.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Still too early to tell if the cap is going to be impacted at this point but from what I understand is they can borrow from caps years down the road so if the cap was in a position to slip they'd likely just do that.

All of these teams dish out deals based on how the cap is projected to grow so I'd imagine they would all want to borrow from the future because they could account for the loss of cap space years down the line rather than have the cap take a hit next season.

But one benefit of all these protests is that it will be a litmus test to see what happens with Covid now when large crowds are gathered. If there isn't a significant rise in cases you could argue that the NFL can put on games as normal.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. The MLB union is far stronger and more united than the NFLs. The owners will crush them per usual
I hear this a lot and in some ways it's misleading. I mean, these MLB guys have it so great? Other than their signing bonus, even the 1st rounders make peanuts for 5-7 years (a few yrs in minors then another 4 before arbitration). I don't see NFL players riding buses for 3-5 years in the minors or the older ones being phased out like they are in MLB.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB was caught at a bed time and a drastically shorter season seems likely, resulting in lower TV revenue as well as gate receipts.

NFL may yet play a full season, and gate receipts are a smaller part of their overall revenue.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB was caught at a bed time and a drastically shorter season seems likely, resulting in lower TV revenue as well as gate receipts.

NFL may yet play a full season, and gate receipts are a smaller part of their overall revenue.

The gate is a smaller piece of the overall revenue across the board, but several teams generate a healthy cut off the gate (DAL reportedly is $600 mil of the $950 mil overall is gate related) They are the extreme, but NE is above league avg...we're probably talking about 20-30% for the average NFL team.

That's a big chunk to be honest...I don't expect a cap reduction in 2021, but if we're still talking about CV-19 in the present this time next year...I would expect to see some cap reduction in '22.