• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can Bruce Ellington Run the Ball at All?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Can Bruce Ellington run the ball at all? With Boldin, Crabby & Steve (and Patton for that matter), I don't see him getting many (if any) rep's at WR this year.

He's shorter & heavier than Percy Harvin; maybe the Niners could use him out of the backfield a bit. A Harvin / McCluster kind of 'back???

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No. The guy has straight line speed, is small, and is a body catcher.

Practice Squad

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Practice Squad

What does him being a "body catcher" have to do with his ability to run the ball?

And he's 197 pounds. He's short not small. In fact he's almost the exact same size as Lamichael James (same height; 2 pounds heavier). Are you still mad that looked dumb for going on a tirade about how absolutely ridiculous it was to include Ellington's name on a list of like 15 potential compensatory picks when he was ultimately taken 6 picks after that?

Practice squad??? You were wrong about the guy. It's time to admit that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Practice Squad

Weird. Usually point guards at the college level are very first step explosive. And quick change of direction guys. And by all a outs from this offseason, that's what he's been.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think the position Baalke envisioned for Lamichael James is probably Ellington's best chance of contributing to the offense this year. Even if he makes good strides as a rookie, he still isn't a lock to beat out Patton on the depth chart for next season. Realistically they could go into the season with Stevie Johnson & Patton starting next year (hope not; I'm hoping DGB starts for the Niners next year).

They need to convert Ellington to a RB right away IMO.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need a punt returner now that LMJ is hurt.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since he was a QB/RB in highschool and only became a WR at SC. I would say he is capable of running the ball.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What does him being a "body catcher" have to do with his ability to run the ball?

And he's 197 pounds. He's short not small. In fact he's almost the exact same size as Lamichael James (same height; 2 pounds heavier). Are you still mad that looked dumb for going on a tirade about how absolutely ridiculous it was to include Ellington's name on a list of like 15 potential compensatory picks when he was ultimately taken 6 picks after that?

He's going to have to make it on the team as a STer or WR before Roman can start using him as a RB. Obviously I find this to bad very underwhelming pick. Crabs, Boldin, Stevie(or Lloyd), Patton, Osgood, and maybe Wylie since I think he's the best return man of the group.

No room for scrubs

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not so sure about the weight thingy, bc apparently LMJ had gotten up to 208 lbs.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird. Usually point guards at the college level are very first step explosive. And quick change of direction guys. And by all a outs from this offseason, that's what he's been.

Depends on which PG's - guys like Steve Nash, Steve Blake, and Mike Bibby - No.

In regards to Ellington, I do agree that I don't think he's a straight line runner, at least from his college film.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I can't speak to his tape as much as his workout, but he had very good numbers in the vertical (tied for 3rd), both shuttles (5th and 4th, respectively), and three-cone (tied for 6th). Based on his 10-yard split that I can find (nfldraftscout.com), his initial explosiveness is comparable to anyone I see (within .02 of pretty much all other WRs). His numbers were actually almost identical to OBJ's (markedly better bench, though), though he's two inches shorter.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak to his tape as much as his workout, but he had very good numbers in the vertical (tied for 3rd), both shuttles (5th and 4th, respectively), and three-cone (tied for 6th). Based on his 10-yard split that I can find (nfldraftscout.com), his initial explosiveness is comparable to anyone I see (within .02 of pretty much all other WRs). His numbers were actually almost identical to OBJ's (markedly better bench, though), though he's two inches shorter.

Shorter arms?