• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can any team win without a elite QB

C

cubzzzfanincali

FTR. Rex Grossman sucks and definitely did not help in the Superbowl. With that said our Defense shit the fucking bed in the second half of that game. Chico was checked out already, and called one of the worst games ever in the second half. Sat back in the stupid fucking cover two, while Manning and their RB's shredded em.

Agree about Rex, but I have never really understood this revisionist storyline about the defense's second half where Manning carved us up. Let's revisit this.

3rd quarter, drive 1. Manning completes all 6 passes, but they are of 6, 8, 1, 9, 3, and 8 yards. Drive ends in field goal after last two completions not enough to make up for Indy false start.

3rd quarter, drive 2. Manning throws 2 incomplete passes. He completed no passes on this drive. Drive ends in field goal.

3rd quarter/4th quarter, drive 3. Manning completes 2 of 2, for 11 and 8 yards, along with one incomplete pass that ends the drive and forces a punt.

4th quarter, drive 4. Manning throws 0 completions, 1 incompletion, and gets sacked once. Drive ends in punt.

4th quarter, drive 5. Manning throws zero passes. Drive ends on downs.

That's it. 2 FGs, 2 punt outs, one downs turnover. Manning goes 8-12 for a whopping 54 yards along with one sack and somehow Manning carving us up underneath is why we lost??? The Hayden pick 6 of Grossman cost us more second half points than the entire half's defense did.

I'd say the defense played pretty fucking well in the second half of that game. You want to blame the defense, fine, but to remind everyone, we had FIVE turnovers in that game. FIVE. The defense allowed 22 points even with five turnovers.

I'd say that's pretty fucking good. I blame Grossman, not the Cover-2.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are conveniently leaving out Addai and Rhodes moving the chains at will against us. I agree, the turnovers cost us. But the D looked pretty flat in the second half, particularly after starting out pretty hot.

That D was dynamic that season, winning games by themselves. Takeaway-machine. They looked that part in the first half, not as much in the second, due in part to the offense's ineptness, for sure, but Rhodes tore us up in that second half, between the 30's.

The two INT's and offensive ineptitude sealed it fosho, but I just remember thinking the D would bail us out again, and they didn't. I certainly don't blame them entirely, but they struggled against the run in the 2nd half. I remember saying things like, "Dominic-fucking-Rhodes!!??" :laugh:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are conveniently leaving out Addai and Rhodes moving the chains at will against us. I agree, the turnovers cost us. But the D looked pretty flat in the second half, particularly after starting out pretty hot.

That D was dynamic that season, winning games by themselves. Takeaway-machine. They looked that part in the first half, not as much in the second, due in part to the offense's ineptness, for sure, but Rhodes tore us up in that second half, between the 30's.

The two INT's and offensive ineptitude sealed it fosho, but I just remember thinking the D would bail us out again, and they didn't. I certainly don't blame them entirely, but they struggled against the run in the 2nd half. I remember saying things like, "Dominic-fucking-Rhodes!!??" :laugh:

Remember, Lovie took the defensive play calling away from Rivera in the second half and the scheme got vanilla and beatable. That is my biggest memory of that super bowl, Urlacher screaming and waving his hands to the sidelines at Rivera wanting to run some stunts or blitzes while Lovie was making the calls that was easily discetable, well, and also was what got the d to score so much on turnovers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Tommie Harris and Mike Brown both missed that game with injury's. I think that is what hurt the most. 2 of our 3 best missing on D.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Top 5 Unit that everyone talks about gave up 191 yards rushing. Just pointing out facts.

Sure. But to blame them, while excusing the 2006 offense and Rex is laughable.

All I know is, the defense held Peyton and company to 22 points and had them right in the game until Rex through the pick six.

When a defense leads the league in three and outs, and is the most efficient at getting off of the field. And your offense can't give it any rest… there's only so much the defense can absorb.

Last edited by a moderator:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco

Roethlisberger x2

Wilson (Favored to win his second)

And Kaep just got to a SB two years ago.

Hell… Eli is clearly a tier below the top guys as well.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Tommie Harris and Mike Brown both missed that game with injury's. I think that is what hurt the most. 2 of our 3 best missing on D.

Yup.

Noticeable drop off after the Minnesota game that year where Harris tore his hamstring.

The defense went from dominant/something special to just being "a very good defense".

C

cubzzzfanincali

Yeah, they moved it, but I mean...they only gave up 6 points in the half. They did more than enough to win.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... All I said was "um...no- It was 191 rushing yards given up"- That's it. I didn't say anything about Rex. And Rich- you think I'm supporting Rex? WTF? Read into things much?

Cali- can you typically win games when you give up 191 rushing yards?

Can you "rest" your defense? Can your offense get on the field to even score more points? TOP was 38:04 to 21:56 The COLTS had the ball for more than an entire QUARTER more then the Bears.

Turnovers killed them- No doubt about it. Rex Sucked. Muhammad sucked too. Benson left the game in the second series. (nobody EVER mentions that either)
But I thought defense wins over offense? Right? Where was our top 5 unit that day? I mean it was "Bear Weather" right?
That game pisses off all Bear fans- I know. It's just typical that so many simply see "QB threw Pick 6" means It was all his fault... did he play well enough to win- Nope. Did the Defense? Nope. Did the team? Nope. The BEARS lost that game. Simple as that. And that ends revisionist history. Thanks for playing.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a good question for myou all..........

You wanna talk about does take an elite qb to win the SB this day and age.

Well eith the qbs that have won it over recent years,there have been really good ones.
Wilson
Flacco
Brees
Rodgers
Manning
Ben
Brady
peyton

yeah,I gotta say its gonna take a very very good qb to win it.

So if you thnink our dipshit qb is good enough to win the SB,is he good enough to win it on one of the final 4 teams this year?
This is what I`m asking you guys.........

I think the only team he could possibly win it all with would be Seattle...........And he`d have nothing ot do it.It would be Seattle D that would get the job done.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Wow... All I said was "um...no- It was 191 rushing yards given up"- That's it. I didn't say anything about Rex. And Rich- you think I'm supporting Rex? WTF? Read into things much?

Can you "rest" your defense? Can your offense get on the field to even score more points? TOP was 38:04 to 21:56 The COLTS had the ball for more than an entire QUARTER more then the Bears.

Turnovers killed them- No doubt about it. Rex Sucked. Muhammad sucked too. Benson left the game in the second series. (nobody EVER mentions that either)
But I thought defense wins over offense? Right? Where was our top 5 unit that day? I mean it was "Bear Weather" right?
That game pisses off all Bear fans- I know. It's just typical that so many simply see "QB threw Pick 6" means It was all his fault... did he play well enough to win- Nope. Did the Defense? Nope. Did the team? Nope. The BEARS lost that game. Simple as that. And that ends revisionist history. Thanks for playing.

I didn't remember that it snowed during that Super Bowl in Miami. I must be getting old and forgetful that I don't recall it as "bear weather." I thought it was mild and raining. My memory is shit now I guess.

I just totally and utterly disagree that the Super Bowl loss was the defenses fault. The defense gave up only 22 points in spite of the colts being handed five turnovers. Yeah 191 yards is a lot to give up, but it is far smaller of an issue than giving up five turnovers. Our offense was terrible in that game. Terrible.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Offense was spotty-to-shitty, from the Arizona game, on. With the NFC Championship probably being the best of that bunch.

I honestly never expected them to get there with Rex, but that D and Special Teams willed them to victories.

I got spoiled. I thought they'd do it again.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait- is it elite QB to win or is it Defense wins championships? I'm confused.
cause our 2006 "elite" defense didn't win the SB because they didn't have a good QB.

And we will never win with Jay Cutler- but if he was on Seattle they could win?

and arguably the best QB of all time in Peyton Manning is the reason why a potential HC candidate isn't good enough for the Bears job, because he had a HOF QB...and his record shouldn't be credited to the HC but to Peyton. And it's the HC's fault they lost in the playoffs? But wait Elite QB's are the reason teams win?

And for Chicago Fans it's always the offenses fault when teams lose...
That's what I've learned this week.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cause our 2006 "elite" defense didn't win the SB because they didn't have a good QB.

and arguably the best QB of all time in Peyton Manning is the reason why a potential HC candidate isn't good enough for the Bears job, because he had a HOF QB...and his record shouldn't be credited to the HC but to Peyton. And it's the HC's fault they lost in the playoffs? But wait Elite QB's are the reason teams win?

What's so confusing? You need both sides of the ball to be very good to win a championship. QB play is clearly a very important piece to that. It is EXTREMELY hard for a defense to win by themselves if the QB play is constantly hurting the football team. On the flip side, it's very hard for a team to win if the defense is constantly getting beaten to death.

I also love how you take one fans opinion and paint the whole fan base with it. You seem to really enjoy doing this.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When it results in 6 second half points, and 22 in total. Yes, you can.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rich- and you seem to like to just be pissed off recently...you ok man?

I was being sarcastic. Pointing out that everyone's opinions are all over the map. Everyone is trying to be "right" all the time. It's exhausting, and then hostile when others don't agree.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When it results in 6 second half points, and 22 in total. Yes, you can.

OMFG dude... That wasn't the damn question- it was simple- I said- TYPICALLY. can you typically win when you give up 191 rushing yards? NO you can't. Then you paint that into some idea of only giving up 22 points is good enough. IT wasn't in that game.
Giving up that rushing yards means your offense- no matter how shitty it is- can't be on the field- and nobody wants to mention my other point of the colts had 16 minutes more of TOP. THAT'S INSANE. I ALSO said that Rex Sucked- I wasn't absolving him of anything. I'm not given credit for that.

C

cubzzzfanincali

what I find interesting about this is that you are cutting-and-pasting cherry-picked opinions from each of us different posters and then throwing them all into the stew. Some of these are things one person says and then some are what others say and so on. It's no wonder you are confused.

Let me point something out, the one thing probably all of us agree on: we don't agree with each other on lots of football subjects. We are on here debating with one another. I'd advise you to stop extrapolating anyone's individual opinion into the entire fanbase nor into other subjects. That might be something useful to learn this week.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I was being sarcastic. Pointing out that everyone's opinions are all over the map. Everyone is trying to be "right" all the time. It's exhausting, and then hostile when others don't agree.

ah, I see. Guess I didn't catch the sarcasm. Still, no reason to be exhausted, life is complex.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bottom line, a team with a dominant defense can win without an elite quarterback.