• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cam Talbot or Dominic Hasek in his prime?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering what Stealth (aka Fock) thinks about this.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dominator all the way Doobs!!!!!! I was a huge fan of his.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Hasek in his prime was probably the best goalie ever.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
patrick roy says hello

I think Roy was better from start to finish but at their peaks I felt Hasek was better. Hasek' style of play revolutionized the game like no other since Jaques Plante.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont see goalies copying Hasek's type of play at all

Hasek is the reason no one does the standup style anymore. He showed the world that the butterfly was the superior technique. If you didn't see how Hasek changed the game, you're deaf & blind.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what defines a peak within your standard

Hasek in his prime had better numbers than Patrick Roy ever did. Higher save %, lower GAA, 2 MVP's (only goalie to win 2 Harts), did you see him during the 1998 Olympics? There's a reason he was called "The Dominator", no goalie I've ever seen changed the way the game was played like Hasek during his prime. The 1998-99 Sabres were probably the worst team I've ever seen make the Stanley Cup Finals but for Hasek. No disrespect to St. Patrick, he had the best career ever (him & Brodeur), but Hasek in his prime was the highest level of goaltending I've ever seen. I'll take Hasek in his prime over any goalie in history.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasek is the reason no one does the standup style anymore. He showed the world that the butterfly was the superior technique. If you didn't see how Hasek changed the game, you're deaf & blind.

I'd take Hasek over Roy in net, but I think that this style effect that you're attributing to Hasek was actually more Roy's doing. If we're going to proclaim any single person as the reason that everyone stopped playing stand-up it would be Roy (and/or Allaire).

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Hasek over Roy in net, but I think that this style effect that you're attributing to Hasek was actually more Roy's doing. If we're going to proclaim any single person as the reason that everyone stopped playing stand-up it would be Roy (and/or Allaire).

IDK, I found Roy & Brodeur to both be of the hybrid era where Hasek was pure butterfly. I just remember hearing a lot of debate about which style was better, but I never heard that debate again after the Dominator left his mark on the game. Just left a greater impression on me, could be mistaken.

BTW, I think we could all enjoy this,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXBgShPGK0g]Dominik Hasek Tribute - YouTube[/ame]

I think his style was more noticeable than any other goalie I've seen. Just took every low shot away no matter where you shot it from.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, I found Roy & Brodeur to both be of the hybrid era where Hasek was pure butterfly. I just remember hearing a lot of debate about which style was better, but I never heard that debate again after the Dominator left his mark on the game. Just left a greater impression on me, could be mistaken.

BTW, I think we could all enjoy this,

Dominik Hasek Tribute - YouTube

I think his style was more noticeable than any other goalie I've seen. Just took every low shot away no matter where you shot it from.

Yes, you are mistaken.

From the wikipedia entry for "butterfly style"

"The modern "profly" derivative was made most popular by Roy and is the style most commonly used and taught."

" the butterfly fell out of favour until the emergence of Patrick Roy in the mid-1980s. This new, modern butterfly style has been referred to as the "profly" style."

I know it's wikipedia, but you'll also notice that Hasek's name is not mentioned once.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you are mistaken.

From the wikipedia entry for "butterfly style"

"The modern "profly" derivative was made most popular by Roy and is the style most commonly used and taught."

" the butterfly fell out of favour until the emergence of Patrick Roy in the mid-1980s. This new, modern butterfly style has been referred to as the "profly" style."

I know it's wikipedia, but you'll also notice that Hasek's name is not mentioned once.

Good information. I stand corrected on which goalie had a greater influence. I think Hasek prime years were still better than Roy's prime years tho, although Roy lasted longer and was more clutch overall.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good information. I stand corrected on which goalie had a greater influence. I think Hasek prime years were still better than Roy's prime years tho, although Roy lasted longer and was more clutch overall.

I read somewhere recently that "clutch" Roy was only 6-7 for his career in game 7s. And Hasek of course beat him head to head in '98, which was a pretty big game.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere recently that "clutch" Roy was only 6-7 for his career in game 7s. And Hasek of course beat him head to head in '98, which was a pretty big game.

Yeah I remember the 2002 WCF's, remember Roy having an epic meltdown that game. Also remember him choking to the Wild the following season. Still tho, gotta respect the 3 Conn Smythes.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You might want to read up on Glenn Hall.He did "butterfly" way before Hasek,and without a mask.
And add Parent,and Brodeur in their prime,to compete with Hasek.