• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cam Newton - "Still Our QB"

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that Bill has given the coaching staff very strict orders when commenting to the media about the offense.

"EVERYONE IS COMPETING FOR A JOB"

Josh did his absolute best not to break the rules but the underlying excitement he has for Mac Jones is undeniable. Jones will be able to run a pro offense and Cam will not. From all of the reports and film, Cam cannot throw the ball 45 yards and get it anywhere near a 50 gallon rubber trash can. I mean he can't get a ball within 10 yards. Jones planted 4 of 10 in the bucket and hit the bucket with the other 6. Power and accuracy. Cam may have done some work during the winter but from the film, it isn't anywhere near enough. There could be some sparks in the coaches meetings if Bill continues to put Cam first with the starting offense. That will be going against all of his own "Best for the team" mantra.
I got through the 1st part of your post with no disagreement. Any complaints about BB's stance is misplaced.
Belichick should very much be doing what he is doing!
Preseason games are where we will find out if Jones is ready or if Cam needs to sit.
I really dislike the opinion that the media should run the team.....
Sparks? WTF?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam apparently suffered a bone bruise in his hand from banging it on another players helmet.
Media reporting as "less serious" because it's not broken.
However, a bone bruise is often mor serious than a fracture. They take longer to heal.
A bone bruise can take 3 weeks to 2 years to heal. This is minor so likely 3 - 6 weeks?????
Cam's throwing motion is not likely to get better over the next month or so......

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we could insert a poll in the middle of a thread. I'd like to ask how many actually think CAM will start a game in 2021... It's not worth it's own thread so I won't create it.

I'll leave this as a rhetorical question... I wonder what everyone thinks, but don't really care about the answer...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we could insert a poll in the middle of a thread. I'd like to ask how many actually think CAM will start a game in 2021... It's not worth it's own thread so I won't create it.

I'll leave this as a rhetorical question... I wonder what everyone thinks, but don't really care about the answer...
giphy (3).gif

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm thinking Mac steals the gig from Cam in training camp, starts game one and never looks back.

Unlikely scenario but I'm going with it.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Mac steals the gig from Cam in training camp, starts game one and never looks back.

Unlikely scenario but I'm going with it.
I really don't think that's unlikely. It's not like they don't have experience with this scenario, though it's been 20 years. TB wasn't a year 1 rookie, but TB was probably more raw relative to a pro offense than Mac is... What BB is best at is taking advantages of strengths while limiting the exposure of weaknesses.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what if?

Cam is overshadowed in camp and Stidham looks more ready?
But you missed the and if part... and if Mac is seriously underwhelming compared to Stid?

I think BB has a policy which combines "those who earn it play" and "whatever is best for the team". So if Stid earns it there would need to be an overwhelming reason that him starting isn't best for the team.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you missed the and if part... and if Mac is seriously underwhelming compared to Stid?

I think BB has a policy which combines "those who earn it play" and "whatever is best for the team". So if Stid earns it there would need to be an overwhelming reason that him starting isn't best for the team.
Understood. What if Mac and Sid both look equally ready? Stid has more experience, Mac is a 1st round pick!

Easy during preseason, play them both! If they both are ready, do you cut Cam? Cutting Cam with an injury likely means they have to pay him.....

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think that's unlikely. It's not like they don't have experience with this scenario, though it's been 20 years. TB wasn't a year 1 rookie, but TB was probably more raw relative to a pro offense than Mac is... What BB is best at is taking advantages of strengths while limiting the exposure of weaknesses.
Bledsoe got injured in a game, so Brady had to come in. It wasn't a decision to replace Bledsoe in favor of Brady. Later that season, Brady got hurt and Bledsoe had to replace him, and won a playoff game. It was an embarrassment of riches that season.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look for Stid to be the starter i Houston. The fact that he 13 of 14 yesterday and the one incompletion was a bad drop and he doesn't get as much as a mention, pretty much says that he'll demand a trade. He's not going to carry a clipboard for Mac and Cam ain't going to stand on the sidelines and watch Mac play QB. BB is going to get painted into a corner and the Patriots are going to look bad.

Then there's the bullshit, "It's only tees and shorts, not the real thing." Really, everyone was all ga ga last week with Mac's accuracy to the trash cans. Now that Stidham stands out in 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 it's no big deal. Mac was 9 of 17 and seven of those were check downs to RBs. Phil Perry said that under normal game circumstances those would have been sacks or OOB throw aways.

Mini camps are in two weeks. Full pads and contact. Will Cam be ready? Will Stidham get an honest eval??

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bledsoe got injured in a game, so Brady had to come in. It wasn't a decision to replace Bledsoe in favor of Brady. Later that season, Brady got hurt and Bledsoe had to replace him, and won a playoff game. It was an embarrassment of riches that season.
Not exactly. Bledsoe replaced Brady for half a game. Also, per reliable sources (Michael Holly if I recall) BB was already preparing to replace Bledsoe. Bledsoe was and is a good guy, but he wasn't coachable because he thought it was his responsibility to win games and would change plays during plays and more often than not wasn't successful doing so. BB wanted a guy who executed plays and the game plan and that was Brady to a T.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam apparently suffered a bone bruise in his hand from banging it on another players helmet.
Media reporting as "less serious" because it's not broken.
However, a bone bruise is often mor serious than a fracture. They take longer to heal.
A bone bruise can take 3 weeks to 2 years to heal. This is minor so likely 3 - 6 weeks?????
Cam's throwing motion is not likely to get better over the next month or so......
Stiddy's will though...