• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Calvin Johnson says the Lions need to win a Super Bowl

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,853.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Detroit Lions have been a stranger to success, but some members of the 2014 version are bullish on their chances this season, including the team's best player.

Wide receiver Calvin Johnson, who discussed with NFL Network his No. 2 ranking on the network's Top 100 players list this week, said the Lions feel they have what it takes to win a Super Bowl.

"We need to win a Super Bowl," Johnson said Wednesday. "That's the No. 1 thing. That's the No. 1 thing [and] should be for every team going into the beginning of the year.

"We're definitely in a place where we feel we could do that."

Earlier this offseason, new Lions safety James Ihedigbo said he believed the team has a "championship DNA," a thought that defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh recently agreed with.

Source: ESPN

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ is obviously on drugs. Make the playoffs. Win a playoff game. Hell, win two. But let's get fucking real here. You're not a Transformer either.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I thought was weird, was that they said some were bullish on their chances this season, including the team's best player, then they started talking about Calvin Johnson.

I agree with CJ's sentiments however.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,853.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Johnson needs to think about baby steps before he jumps to winning the Super Bowl. Making the playoffs should be a goal. that should be step 1 to winning the Super Bowl. but in my opinion the Lions dont have enough talent to make it to the Super Bowl

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being in the 2nd toughest division in football (NFC West being 1st) and playing in the same conference that also has the toughest makes it very difficult. Not to mention that Denver has 1 last shot most likely and you know they will bring the house. Maybe next year if they get their cap on order they can fill out the roster.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let that be a lesson, set your goals as big as you can. Just get to the playoffs, win a game, or two? Nope - go for it all. If you're going to stop once the goal is reached, make it one that encompasses more than you or anyone else has a right to expect.

Go to the Superbowl? Not good enough - better make the goal to win it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a believer in attainable goals. Like catching every ball that hits you in the numbers. Has Mayhew spoke up about this current group being a Super Bowl contender?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every year we hear from the players how they are super bowl contenders and are a championship team, how the environment is different this year, blah blah. Look, they are on the team...what else are they supposed to say, nah we suck? Of course they are going to say this and theres nothing wrong with saying it. Its good to see them have hope. The best the lions can be this year is a one and done in the playoffs team imo, and thats if everything goes right. They had a chance to add someone legitimate to the back seven on defense and took the worst possible pick in ebron. If they had drafted defense early and often I could have seen them being a good team. The lions offense hinges completely on whether stafford is good or not. Ebron might help stafford a little but stafford needs to figure it out on his own and the offense would have been good whether they had ebron or not if stafford figures it out. This also relies on the offensive line doing as well as they did last year and Im not sure that will happen. The back seven on defense was for the most part ignored again, and they showed against elite offenses last year that they will struggle alot. With that being said, I see them finishing between around .500 with the best case scenario being one and done in the offs.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm usually a pessimist but I feel the Lions will be going deep in the playoffs this season. This team just needed a new coaching staff. I love the hire of Lombardi, guy got to spend time with Brees and Caldwell spent time with Manning. This is the year of Stafford to emerge as a top QB.
Defense isn't elite but they sure and hell aren't chop liver either. Kyle Van Noy is an awesome upgrade over Palmer and should be used as a rusher opposite Ansah in the hybrid 3-4 looks. Safety's are solid and if Slay emerges into what most of us think he can be... It's definitely good enough.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every year we hear from the players how they are super bowl contenders and are a championship team, how the environment is different this year, blah blah. Look, they are on the team...what else are they supposed to say, nah we suck? Of course they are going to say this and theres nothing wrong with saying it. Its good to see them have hope. The best the lions can be this year is a one and done in the playoffs team imo, and thats if everything goes right. They had a chance to add someone legitimate to the back seven on defense and took the worst possible pick in ebron. If they had drafted defense early and often I could have seen them being a good team. The lions offense hinges completely on whether stafford is good or not. Ebron might help stafford a little but stafford needs to figure it out on his own and the offense would have been good whether they had ebron or not if stafford figures it out. This also relies on the offensive line doing as well as they did last year and Im not sure that will happen. The back seven on defense was for the most part ignored again, and they showed against elite offenses last year that they will struggle alot. With that being said, I see them finishing between around .500 with the best case scenario being one and done in the offs.

As much as we need a CB, drafting one would not change this years results. Will take 2 or 3 years for a CB to make a difference on the defense.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as we need a CB, drafting one would not change this years results. Will take 2 or 3 years for a CB to make a difference on the defense.

So no CB has ever come into the league and been a difference maker in his first year? Ever?
Or maybe ....just maybe a rookie CB who has not "fully developed" might just be better than the mess that's back there now.
So keep ignoring the secondary because convention says it takes too long to bring someone along. Champions tell convention to go fuck itself.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We haven't been ignoring the secondary at all- we just didn't draft one highly this year. We did, however, draft one highly last year, and fairly highly the year before. We also upgraded over Delmas (imo) at safety this offseason...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still trying to get this frame of thought.....If CBs take years to develop and since we keep ignoring it, I guess the Lions still have a few more years before the secondary will be worth a crap.....Just in time for Calvin, Staffords and Suhs retirement party.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as we need a CB, drafting one would not change this years results. Will take 2 or 3 years for a CB to make a difference on the DEFENSE.

If this is the train of thought regarding the CB position -- why wouldn't the front office throw money at some proven player's in Free Agency, instead of fixing mistakes made by Mayhew in the draft (i.e. Reggie Bush and Golden Tate signings)

Personally -- I think Slay is going to be a good CB for Detroit, but he is going to be in over his head this year unless he took a monster step forward in his understanding of the pro game.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just maybe a rookie CB who has not "fully developed" might just be better than the mess that's back there now.

agree 100%. When your best CB in 2013 is an aging vet, who was cut by Jacksonville -- the team has some issues.

the fact the Lions brought back Mathis tells me they do not have faith in the trio they drafted in 2012, which I can't blame them in the bit, as they haven't shown the ability to be reliable starters.

let's hope the Lions found a diamond in the rough this year with Nevin (I believe that is his name). I don't see Bentley, Greenwood or Green being anything more than depth on the sidelines. Bentley may play regularly out of necessity, but only because of the lack of quality at the position.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I fully believe, that one day, in the future, at some point, many many days from now, eventually, as all things must, Detroit will indeed win a Superbowl and the Cubs will indeed win a World Series, maybe even in the same year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still trying to get this frame of thought.....If CBs take years to develop and since we keep ignoring it, I guess the Lions still have a few more years before the secondary will be worth a crap.....Just in time for Calvin, Staffords and Suhs retirement party.

So drafting Bentley in the 3rd round two years ago, then Slay at the top of the 2nd round last year is ignoring the position?

You guys crack me up sometimes (ok, a lot of times). We didn't draft a CB in the first three rounds this year, that's hardly ignoring the position...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Lions fan but wouldn't shed a tear if they got their shit together and made a run. Can't say that about many teams.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I fully believe, that one day, in the future, at some point, many many days from now, eventually, as all things must, Detroit will indeed win a Superbowl and the Cubs will indeed win a World Series, maybe even in the same year.

I can almost possibly just about see that potentially becoming a possibility. Maybe.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Rob Base threatened any of these new Fan Nation guys with a proper asswhooping yet? :noidea: