• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

By July 12 Celtics will need to deal...Rondo?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logic man, I think the Lakers are not going to get either Anthony or James. I think they both see that they will be playing alone in two years after Kobe says good-bye and either of them want something more substantial. LA has already offered their max deal and Anthony knows he cvan get more in N.Y. Besides, Anthony's wife wants him to sign with N.Y.

James has already narrowed his entertainment of teams apart from Miami down to just three: Dallas, Phoenix, and Cleveland. Also, I think Gasol is headed to N.Y. with Anthony or Miami with James. So, the Lakers would be better served to a long-term, re-build strategy if they would focus on that rather than aging stars and potential big name FAs.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many on here who understand the cap rules better than I do, but this is my understanding (could be wrong).

Total cap is 63.2 Million

Kobe salary is 23.5, max deals for Lebron and Melo are about 20.7. That by itself takes the Lakers over the cap. To sign both of these guys, the Lakers would have to renounce all of their cap holds and get rid of Nash (I think). This means that in order to get Gasol, it could only be for the MLE.

I could be wrong on this, but for LeBron and Melo to both sign, they would have to both take slightly less than max and be making less $ than a 36 year old Kobe. There might be a way for the Lakers to pull sign and trades where they give away their scrubs for MBJ and/or Melo, but I can't see either team being willing to help the Lakers in that way.

In other words, unless Gasol signs for the MLE or the Heat accept the bottom half of the Lakers roster in a sign and trade, this can't happen (again, I think). The lakers would be limited to league minimum salaries to fill out the rest.

The Lakers have Bird rights on Gasol. My understanding is that if they are over the cap (or going to be) they can still sign him for more than the MLE because of that. The same would hold true for guys like Young, Hill, Bazemore, etc.

Even if all they could offer Pau was the MLE, I think he'd take it in a heartbeat because he could stay with the Lakers and have a shot at contending.

The Lakers seem to think they can do it too, because word is that is what they are trying to do. I'd hope they have a better idea than you or I about what's possible. Otherwise, the Lakers are in biiiiig trouble going forward.:lol:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CL just so you know, Randle gets a knock on his height too. He was originally listed as 6"9, then 6"8 now 6"7 and change. I don't think he and anybody on the court worries he can't play the three and sometimes a 4. Thomas is tall enough too

oh i know, Logic. trust me, i wish he was 6'10", but it ain't as bad as a 5'9" PG. just sayin'...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not the problem. Clearly 1 would play the 4. Melo/Bron will do a much better job guarding the true 4s of the league than the bigs will guarding them. Also, you could play LeBron at the 1 if you wanted to go big.

This is my favorite thing about Lebron's game. The guy is a faster, more athletic Magic Johnson. I think Magic was a better passer, but Lebron has the same handles and plays better defense.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have Bird rights on Gasol. My understanding is that if they are over the cap (or going to be) they can still sign him for more than the MLE because of that. The same would hold true for guys like Young, Hill, Bazemore, etc.

Even if all they could offer Pau was the MLE, I think he'd take it in a heartbeat because he could stay with the Lakers and have a shot at contending.

The Lakers seem to think they can do it too, because word is that is what they are trying to do. I'd hope they have a better idea than you or I about what's possible. Otherwise, the Lakers are in biiiiig trouble going forward.:lol:

But, the key point here is that in order to offer near max deals to Melo and Bron, they would need to renounce their Bird rights to everyone else. If they do that, they can't sign them back for anything other than MLE and the minimum.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words, if they wanted to sign Nick Young, Kendall Marshall and Jordan Hill to max deals, they could, but they would have to renounce the Bird rights to these players if they wanted to go up to the cap to sign another team's FAs.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little move here, a move or two there and BANG! The mighty, mighty Boston Celtics are back in the thick of things. Way for Danny Ainge to get something out of our trade exception. Boston acquires Tyler Zeller, future cap space in Marcus Thornton AND another unprotected first rounder in exchange for what, our exception and a protected 2nd round pick? Lovely. Let's go, Boston! More assets and guaranteed max cap space for the Summer of 2015. BOOM!!!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that the pick was top-10 protected through 2018 then unprotected in 2019. Regardless, good use of that trade exception.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
their stockpile is impressive....what will that translate to?

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will translate to a powerhouse dynasty from 2016-2030. Eat your heart out. Strainge Chainge is making Red proud. I just hope he doesn't bite the bullet and give up too many assets in his pursuit of Kevin Love who, in my opinion, is not the piece to build a championship around. Anything more than Sullinger, Wallace and two first rounders is too much.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will translate to a powerhouse dynasty from 2016-2030. Eat your heart out. Strainge Chainge is making Red proud. I just hope he doesn't bite the bullet and give up too many assets in his pursuit of Kevin Love who, in my opinion, is not the piece to build a championship around. Anything more than Sullinger, Wallace and two first rounders is too much.

Kevin Love isn't signing there for just Rondo. They'll have to do a lot more than that...

And the Celts are stockpiling but without a second star, they'll be hard pressed to land someone. Rondo isn't as good as Boston makes him out to be.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Based on your pathetic and erroneous previous predictions, no surprise to hear you make this ridiculous one. Won't even begin to ask how you believe they'll become a dynasty spanning 14 years with so many factors that can go wrong. You're always good for a laugh, Crotch. Word.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy to see the move by Danny. Cleveland's desire for LBJ handed us added assets. I cannot get over just how much stock piling he has done. Happy he got another first rounder from what is shoring up as a legendary trade with the Nets.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got a lot out of Delonte West, Wally Sczerbiak and a #5, didn't he, L-Man? That got us Ray, which begat KG which begat a title and a nice 4 or 5 season run which got us about 8 or 9 picks which will get us our next dynasty. Word.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avery has earned and will continue to earn every penny of his 4 year 32 million dollar contract. Plus, it is a movable contract just in case Ainge changes directions.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it is also believed Smart can play the PG at times. Avery for sure cannot. We really dont know what we have yet other than PG/SGs that can play defense.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not against letting Rondo walk this off season and seeing if we can bring him back along with another max player this off season. Danny is eyeing the summer of 2015 and freeing up as much cap space as possible.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avery has earned and will continue to earn every penny of his 4 year 32 million dollar contract. Plus, it is a movable contract just in case Ainge changes directions.

8 million a year for AB was too much in my book. I like him, but not for 4 years 32 million. Hopefully I'm wrong.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Avery's deal was high, and it feels like a Green deal to me.

You cant let Rondo go to FA for nothin though guys, especially in Boston where every asset is needed in the rebuild.

I always feel like Danny values these SG's more than the league. Its a consistent pattern.