• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Building around Kovy. A Hypothesis.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Devils haven't lined Ilya up with anyone that he has chemistry with. That means there's going to need to be an external acquisition to play with him.

I have an obvious answer that isn't as simple as it seems.

Marc Savard. Now, before you go nuts on me for suggesting a guy recovering from a concussion should be a target for this team, consider this. Savard is inked for a long time at shockingly low cap hit. $4M per season for the next 7 seasons, with the last 4 being the same type of years that got the Devils in trouble with Kovy.

It's also been widely speculated that the Bruins would like to trade Savard since they have committed to Krejci, Bergeron, and now had Sequin down the middle.

So, if Marc Savard could return healthy could he help the Devils? I think it's an unequivocal, yes.

Look at the numbers he and Kovy put up together in the PRE LOCKOUT NHL. They're staggering. Well over ppg levels.

Keep in mind that Marc Savard is a $4M cap hit, that has scored a ppg for the past 5 seasons, and has proven he can set up elite scoring. Kessel.

Furthermore, it appears that Savard could be returning ASAP, and the Bruins will eventually need to shed some cap space.

I don't know who/what they would want for him, but right now, I would love to see a Kovy/Savard, Parise/Zajac anchor for this team now and in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Savard could be the set-up man Kovy needs. I don't think anybody should knock suggestions for this team given the situation we're in. Changes have to be made. This team is going nowhere fast. Who do you think the Devils could package to get this deal done?

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I agree with SJ, no idea or suggestion is a bad one at this point.

Second, Savard is not a bad idea at all. My reservations would be a) how has he been feeling? (because some guys just never recover) and b) what would it take to get him?

We need a Bruins fan in here, stat.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First of all, I agree with SJ, no idea or suggestion is a bad one at this point.

Second, Savard is not a bad idea at all. My reservations would be a) how has he been feeling? (because some guys just never recover) and b) what would it take to get him?

We need a Bruins fan in here, stat.

Apparently, he's healthy and is going to start practicing any day now.

dboy97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is practicing with a return date expected of mid December.

dboy97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scratch that he is not practicing wih them yet. Could have sworn I heard he was now I heard this morning next week but a December return is likely.

I don't now what the Bruins would want in return. I am sure it would have to be some salary cap relief maybe a big strong LW or puck moving D-man. I don't know enough about the NJ Devils roster to put in names.