• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bryzgalov interview to Soviet Sport (uncut and uncensored)

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hi guys!
Sorry for disappearing. I wasn't deported to Russia, sent to Gulag or eaten by bears. Just too much going on and never enough time.
I do read this forum and wonder why the fuck no one misses me and if Wings won the Cup I would've been all over the place saying "I told you so"

To make up for my absence I'm giving you an exclusive translation of original interview with our good buddy Bryzgalov (from Soviet Sport by Pavel Lysenkov, not the castrated and badly translated version from Puke Daddy)
=========================================================
We were sitting outside café and Ilya was talking how he spends his summer. First the whole family flies to Hawaii. Then he goes to Moscow suburbs where he builds a house near New Riga highway. After that he goes back to his hometown, Tolyatti.

- Are you building your home yourself?
- You don't believe? Look! – Bryzgalov shows his palms – My all hands are in blisters! I don't use construction workers. They build really bad … For the 4th year I'm doing it myself. For now my family lives in a summer cottage near Zelenograd

- Build a house, plant a tree, raise a son – is it a meaning of life for you?
- Good plan. Already planted trees, built a summer house. Have a son and a daughter. What, raising a daughter is not as important? I don't think about the meaning of life. I just live.

- Do you think you weren't invited to World Championships because you openly criticized a national team coach, Slava Bykov?
- There was a lot going on in Russian national team for the last year and half. I can't even say why I wasn't invited to World Championship. Simply don't know. Ask people who made the decision.

- Did you refuse to go to Bratislava? Or Bykov didn't invite you?
- I said I wanted to play. But ended up not being there

- Is it because you let in 17 goals in playoffs against Red Wings?
- Detroit just went out and destroyed us. I may have let in 1-2 bad goals, but that's it. Once the puck bounced off my leg. Don't even remember the second one. Wings did everything to make my life difficult. I didn't see most of the goals. They simply tore me apart.

- Why didn't you give interviews at Worlds-2009? Were you angry at journalists?
- I wasn't angry at anyone. Could it be that I just didn't want to talk?

- And then? Now you are talking to them
- Then I changed my mind. Possible?

- One agent said: "Bryzgalov is an ideal client. If only you could sew his mouth shut"
- Who said it?

- It's not important. But that was related to the story with Winnipeg, when you said you won't play there: "City, where there is a terrible cold, no parks and amusements". Canadians didn't take that story well.
- At least I'll be somehow remembered in North America. But you, saying that, surprised me. Who said such a good words about me? Ideal client! Normally people talk really bad about me. Not even knowing me they say: Bryzgalov has a complex, simply bad temper.

- Really?
- I learn it from your people [journalists]. I'm reading and thinking: "I don't know this guy, yet he has my entire resume ready. Like he knows me all my life.
- Does it bother you?
- I don't care. As to my frankness – yes, I had problems with it in past

- The story with Mikhailov?
- Forget it. I was a 20 y.o. boy back then. Emotional, ambitious, not very smart. Boris Petrovich announced a roster he thought was the best for First Channel Cup. I thought I belonged there. But who cared what I was thinking? Coach made the decision, that's all.

- I remember how you replaced Lada goaltender Vincent Riendeau, when he let in 2 goals. Just dressed and jumped on the ice
- Yes, it was in playoffs when Lada played in Perm. The coach couldn't decide to make a goalie change, so I decided for him.

- Wanted to do the same in Vancouver?
- Very much. But imagine how it would look? The whole World is watching the Olympics. Hundreds of millions people are watching our game against Canada. And you want me to go to the net the other goalie refuses to leave? That would've been funny.

- Is it true that in the first intermission (when score was already 1:4) players started to say: "We should go with Bryzgalov"?
- Why didn't they put me in the goal then?

- Because Bykov said: "Let's play for Zhenka [Nabokov]"
- Not true. Bykov didn't even go to our locker room after the first period. Normally he would show up there during the intermission. But back then we were already in a hallway. There was only 1 minute left until the beginning of the second period when Bykov and Zakharkin came out of the coach's room.

- Probably they were shocked too
- Who wouldn't be shocked? Well, them. Players, fans –they can be in shock. But not someone who's leading the parade.
Did I say something I shouldn't have? But I'm already tired of empty interviews where people say: "We were fighting, but it was just a bad luck". In reality, it wasn't like that.
They won't invite me to a national team? OK. I'll feel bad because I want to play. But truth is more important.

- After Bratislava everyone realized that Bryzgalov should've been at championships. National team failed to win a medal, Bykov and Zakharkin were fired
- Professional sport doesn't forgive weaknesses. It's a jungle. You step on the ice – you better have the best players. Coach must understand – there is no one better than them. And players must know that. Then you wouldn't be thinking: what if player X was playing, we would've had a better result.
It creates a negative environment in the team. Maybe boys don't believe in some player. Yet someone insists he plays. How are you going to play when you know that this forward will never score or that goalie will never make a save? What do you expect from a team like that?

- I feel bad for Nabokov. His play at the championships undermined his career. Could you say he was set up? They let on the ice the goalie who wasn't ready.
- Why was he set up? Didn't he know where he was heading? He didn't want to play at the championship? Of course he wanted. What happened to Nabokov is his own fault. No one else's. I can say the same about any other person.

- Will you have a summer camp for kids this year?
- Yes. One in Tolyatti (on July 15-17), the other one in Moscow (July 29-31). KHL helps me with Moscow camp and Lada – with the one in Tolyatti. I haven't had a kids' camp in Russia in five years. But I told about this idea to my friend Petr Lidov from Megafon and they helped me.

- Are these camps for goaltenders only?
- Any players can come, play with puck. Spectators are welcome too. I'll be glad to see everybody.

- Why do you need this?
- I want to help people. Share my knowledge with kids. I know they need it.

- Did you watch juniors final Canada-Russia?
- First period and half. Canadians were leading 3:0. Then I had to leave to take care of business.

- What happened to young talents? Where did they disappeared? There is no one to call up to the national team even though our juniors are World champions.
- Corruption. Also nobody needs them

- What do you mean?
- Our hockey managers don't need juniors.

- Let's be specific. Are you surprised by the story in Cherepovets?
- Where they took a cut from young players' salaries? Explain what happened there

- Severostal created a players fund [to distribute percentage og younger players' salaries between veterans]
- Based on what?

- Team decided that
- Who?

- Team management
- Is it legal?

- Black cash
- So what's the question? You just answered yourself

- How do you fight it?
- What can you do if it's not a hockey problem, but a Russian problem? Everybody takes bribes. People only think how to stuff their pockets. "Don't care if there is a flood after I'm gone" [Russian proverb]. Nobody cares about future. People taking bribes think they care about their families, kids. But in reality, money just travel from one pocket to another. It's terrible.

- You ever tried to bribe anybody?
- Never

- Even Russian policemen? [notorious bribe-takers]
- They tried to extort money from me. I just say: "Give me the ticket". Then pay it legally

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
- You never drank alcohol
- Of course I drank. Until I was 17

- Strange. Normally people just start drinking at 17
- I had it backwards. Don't even remember, think it was November 7 [big Soviet holiday]. I got really drunk. And decided to give up. I realized it was either hockey or alcohol.
- Didn't you drink from Stanley Cup or World Champions cup?
- In Anaheim locker room I drank juice. In Bern didn't even have a chance. Boys filled the cup with vodka.

- You know, if you win Olympics, you'll become a member of Triple Gold Club?
- Thanks for reminding! Off to a gym, need to work out hard!
- Seriously?
- What do I get for becoming a member? A summer house? A car, an apartment? Look, there is a girl sitting at the next table. Ask her if she knows anything about Triple Gold Club. She'll say no.

- Do you believe in the end of the World?
- It'll happen soon. Not in 2012, media blows it out of proportion. I remember in 2000 everybody was expecting it. So what?
But one day we'll destroy ourselves. The way we live, what we do - can't be any more stupid

- Did you watch "I am a Legend"? Could you imagine yourself on Will Smith's place?
- I don't want to become alone. It's a crazy situation. Plus, if you know all your family died? How can you live? What for?

- In the movie Smith was talking to his dog. Do you have pets?
- I have a Siberian husky. All white. We get along really easy. Very friendly. Much better than most of the people.

- What are you currently reading?
- Just bought 3 books. Valentin Pikul "Nechistaya sila" – about Rasputin. Aleksey Tolstoy "Khozhdenie po mukam". Also "Master and Margarita"
- You never read it?
- Once started, but my dog "finished" the book, ate it. Had to buy a new one. But I watched the movie, know the plot.

- Do you like e-books?
- No, I like the real ones. Smell of paper, going through pages … My eyes hurt after e-books. It's bad for a goalie

- NBA player Andrei Kirilenko likes fantasy so much that he made a Warcraft tattoo on his back
- I wouldn't do that. Don't want to mutilate my body with tattoos. Ask old people, having tattoos, how they got it – they'll say because of stupidity. And they are old, they know.

- What job can't you do? For example, Bryzgalov – the office manager
- I can do anything. I'm very responsible. Just teach me if I don't know something. I can be an office worker, can sweep the streets.

- What's the most shocking news for you lately? I don't mean sports. For example, there are killings on Moscow streets.
- It's normal. It's difficult to shock anybody today. So much has happened that people grew a thick skin. Became abstracted from everything, don't notice anything anymore. 200 years ago it would've been a huge moral and cultural shock

- Hockey fans who destroyed Vancouver?
- Not the first time it happened in Canada

- Could Arizona fans do something like that?
- They wouldn't even know if Phoenix lost in Stanley Cup finals

- Does Sovok [derogatory name for Soviet Russia] bother you? Ants in toothpaste?
- If you are reminding me my words from 8 years ago in Novogorsk [Russian national team base] – it was true: old furniture, broken toilet. And there were ants in toothpaste. But as far as I know, they repaired it since then.
Everybody says that Russia is a rich country with a lot of money. What happens to that money if you can't even install a decent toilet and sink? It doesn't even bother me, it's killing me. This is Sovok.

- What sports are you into, besides hockey?
- Anything. Basketball, handball …
I love soccer. You know Rostov [Russian soccer league team] almost hired me? I went to Sankt-Petersburg for Russia-Armenia game. Met Rostov manager Yuri Belous there. He said: "Ilya, why don't you play a goalie for us!" I said "no problem".
Almost signed a contract with them, but governor didn't approve – they already had a goaltender. Belous said that for the next season he won't sign anybody, will wait for me.

- Where are your kids most comfortable – America or Russia?
- They are comfortable everywhere. The most important thing for them – to be loved.

- Your son's name is Vlad. After Tretyak?
- No. But he plays hockey too. Currently in the field, but likely to move to the goal. I'm not going to interfere. Wherever he wants to play – I'll help.

- What does goaltender feel when everybody is throwing stone-hard pucks at him?
- I'm protected. I don't feel much. Of course if I was naked I wouldn't stand in the goal. I don't look crazy, right?

- But there is an expression: "Play wherever you want, son. Just not in the goal"
- I would suggest otherwise. Say, you are a field player. Bum! Blind hit. And concussion. One concussion, another – and you are a client for life. Or you are playing puck near the boards – bum! Hit from behind! Broken neck. The most goalies have is a pulled groin. Of course other injuries happen, but they are rare.
So what's safer? Maybe playing in the goal, son?

At the end of the interview Ilya Bryzgalov was offered to answer Marcel Proust questionnaire
- Cool! Feel like on Pozner's TV show! Like it a lot, but never answered a questionnaire before

1. Quality you value the most in men
Wisdom

2. Quality you value the most in women
Also wisdom. And patience

3. Your main feature
Frankness. I'm a truth teller

4. Where would you like to live?
Where it's quiet and calm. An island in Maldives, 100 by 100 meters? Maybe bigger. But two most important thing – warm water and quietness. I won't be bored

5. Your favourite writer?
Dostoyevsky

6. What human flaws are you taking lightly?
Weakness. Humans are weak by nature
7. Your favourite book hero?
Voland

8. Your favourite real-life hero?
Maltshish-Kibaltshish
[fictional hero from kids' book fighting the capitalist pigs and betrayed by Maltshish-Plohish for a jar of jam and a pack of cookies – very Jesus/Judas-like but with communist nuances]

9. Your favourite food, drink?
Kebab, pomegranate juice

10. What's disgusting for you?
Dirt. In all its ways – on the street, moral dirt …

11. Of all historical figures who do you hate most?
I find everyone interesting, even tyrants. Even if he was a negative character, how could he take over half of the World?

12. Your favourite expression?
Erare humanum est. It's human to err

13. If Devil offered you to live forever, would you agree?
No. The scariest thing in life is to outlive my kids and grandkids

14. What would you say to God when you meet him after the death?
Forgive us all

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
huh - i thought you had disappeared.
would have voted for you in the "posters you wish would post more often" category, but you don't even post enough lately for the nomination!

thanks for the translation! very timely.

lol....
I remember how you replaced Lada goaltender Vincent Riendeau, when he let in 2 goals. Just dressed and jumped on the ice
- Yes, it was in playoffs when Lada played in Perm. The coach couldn't decide to make a goalie change, so I decided for him.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that entire thing in a russian voice in my head LOL. that was epic

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
this was cute too:

- Hockey fans who destroyed Vancouver?
- Not the first time it happened in Canada

- Could Arizona fans do something like that?
- They wouldn't even know if Phoenix lost in Stanley Cup finals

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back, MM213! Actually, I did wonder if you were still alive and am glad to see that you are. :wave: