• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns Exploitng a Loophole to Work with Mariota?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns need all the help they can get. This only helps them...

How funny would that be if they draft Mariota... Manziel would remain in rehab?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Gowazzu02 I don't think anybody is talking about him falling out of the top-10. We are talking about him falling from #1 pick to maybe #7 at the worst. This is not some just crazy off the wall predicting this guy falling clear to the 4th round type thing. Right now he just isn't the unanimous #1 overall pick. In a month from now though he very well could be if he tests better than Winston and the red flags of Winston just scare everybody off. Pure talent alone though of how it translates to the NFL Winston looks like the safer bet of the two to actually pan out in the NFL. When you start adding the rest of it in though with the off the field stuff then it really becomes a toss up of which one should Tampa go with. I also think draft people are looking at the fact that Winston automatically brings a huge crowd from Florida to the games with him playing at Florida State. He already has his fans so making him the franchise face in Florida brings in big bucks for them as an organization.

Wow Im honestly shocked that the words "safer" and "Winston" are put in the same sentence. It was everything the FSU staff/ The tallahassee police and DA could do to keep him out of jail. And He's the safe pick after one bad Mariotta game.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that the Browns have been very clueless for a long time...but this?

Jimmy Haslam must not have access to the Internet.

That's really the only way to explain how the Browns' owner could have not known about Manziel's off-field red flags when the team drafted him in the first round last year. Here's what Haslam said about Manziel during a press conference on Wednesday:

"I don't know how much of Johnny's personal life was known by everybody then,"

Really? What a dumb fuck. Everyone knew about his personal life. :doh:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that the Browns have been very clueless for a long time...but this?

Jimmy Haslam must not have access to the Internet.

That's really the only way to explain how the Browns' owner could have not known about Manziel's off-field red flags when the team drafted him in the first round last year. Here's what Haslam said about Manziel during a press conference on Wednesday:

"I don't know how much of Johnny's personal life was known by everybody then,"

Really? What a dumb fuck. Everyone knew about his personal life. :doh:

Ouch. That ones gotta hurt.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Haslam is a jackass. Wish he would have never bought the Browns. If he's not the worst owner in the NFL he's top 3 no doubt.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Haslam is a jackass. Wish he would have never bought the Browns. If he's not the worst owner in the NFL he's top 3 no doubt.

I think with the Johnny comment he IS No. 1.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Im honestly shocked that the words "safer" and "Winston" are put in the same sentence. It was everything the FSU staff/ The tallahassee police and DA could do to keep him out of jail. And He's the safe pick after one bad Mariotta game.

I said on pure talent alone Winston seems like the safer bet not that he is the overall safer bet. This is where reading comprehension is so important. Pure arm talent Winston is much better than that of Mariota. Mariota is too reliant on his legs to then open up the pass game where Winston is a pocket passer that only runs when he absolutely has to. His arm is why he is being considered a possible #1 overall pick. Throw in he played in a pro system so day one he walks onto the practice field and recognizes how the offense should be run where Mariota has to learn a whole new way of playing the game the minute he walks onto the practice field. Winston also ran his offense from the LOS which is what a lot of the top quarterbacks in the NFL do these days where Mariota looks over to a sideline to see a board and what type of play he should run. So again day 1 Winston can step into an organization and find success where Mariota you are looking at a 2-3 year project that you just don't know how it will pan out. I mean look in the NFL and tell me where is there is a quality quarterback starting right now that in college played the spread option offense. Wilson might be the only guy that even comes close to that description and Wisconsin doesn't really run that type of system.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with the Johnny comment he IS No. 1.

I agree w/ that. Add in this texting during games crap and no doubt he's # 1. I don't believe for a moment that the Browns GM was texting plays in during games w/o the okay from that blockhead Haslam.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said on pure talent alone Winston seems like the safer bet not that he is the overall safer bet. This is where reading comprehension is so important. Pure arm talent Winston is much better than that of Mariota. Mariota is too reliant on his legs to then open up the pass game where Winston is a pocket passer that only runs when he absolutely has to. His arm is why he is being considered a possible #1 overall pick. Throw in he played in a pro system so day one he walks onto the practice field and recognizes how the offense should be run where Mariota has to learn a whole new way of playing the game the minute he walks onto the practice field. Winston also ran his offense from the LOS which is what a lot of the top quarterbacks in the NFL do these days where Mariota looks over to a sideline to see a board and what type of play he should run. So again day 1 Winston can step into an organization and find success where Mariota you are looking at a 2-3 year project that you just don't know how it will pan out. I mean look in the NFL and tell me where is there is a quality quarterback starting right now that in college played the spread option offense. Wilson might be the only guy that even comes close to that description and Wisconsin doesn't really run that type of system.

I posted an article on the Mora thread that debunks this: Why Major Concerns with Marcus Mariota's Game Are Mostly Fiction | Bleacher Report

Mariota looks over to a sideline to see a board and what type of play he should run:

Mariota is most often accused of benefiting from open receivers. That isn't entirely true. Each game, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner can be seen making the type of throws asked of an NFL quarterback.
Mariota is too reliant on his legs:

Yes, the Ducks employ the zone read as part of their offense. Also, Mariota ran for 2,237 yards since the start of his redshirt freshman campaign. "I think he's a sub-4.4 (40-yard dash) player that plays extremely fast like Braxton [Miller]," said Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer.
These three factors don't impede Mariota from being able to win from the pocket. It's the combination of those factors that makes him truly dangerous.
In fact, Mariota spent the majority of his junior campaign throwing passes from the pocket.
Mariota has to learn a whole new way of playing the game the minute he walks onto the practice field:

What is interesting about Oregon is that they have most of the pro concepts in their pass offense. The easiest thing to teach is how to play football under center. The bottom line is, when Mariota gets the ball in his hands and drops from there, he has no problems. He is athletic and he is so in control of everything—on the sideline, on the field, how he handles himself. Plus, he is every bit as tall as Winston.
Mariota looks over to a sideline to see a board and what type of play he should run:

Every QB in the NFL has a speaker in his helmet linked to the coaches which throws this argument on it's ear.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No need to be a jackass. I read your comment, and still the fact that safer and winston is in the same sentence when talking about anything shocks me. You could be talking talent, transitioning to the nfl, or having a name that starts with J.

I think its a bit of the east coast issue. you see Mariota and automatically think runner. He is a great athlete and yes the offense he played in opened up the passing game. But look at his passing numbers, kid can fling it. Surprised all these question marks pop up after one bad game

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really...just the way the draft is falling...#2 may still take him, but they have put it out there that they like Mett...(positioning for picks). #3 & 4 just drafted a QB and #5 spent a ton to get theirs

CLE probably has to jump the #6 spot to ensure getting a QB and I'm thinking WAS would be happy to move back and get extra picks.

AS a Skins Fan!!! Yes PLease...Have Mariotta there when Washington is on the clock!!! I would love to trade with Cleveland for the 2 first round picks Minimum!!!!

Yooooitsmatt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, I just wish we could get through a whole season without alternating QBs. I dont care who we have as QB, as long as they get the job done. I want a winning season and that's not a very realistic goal when we have a new QB competition every year..

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus needs a fairly stable team, kind of like Colin with the 49ers. IMO he just doesn't have the mechanics to be a full on threat by himself. I know I appear to 'bash' (more like critique) Mariota a lot, but just is what it is based on his playstyle.

Honestly a team like the Eagles would be the best thing for him. Chip knows how to utilize his strengths (whether he can avoid the weaknesses in the NFL is another thing) and there's enough weapons on the Eagles O that he could prob. thrive (similar to Colin with a younger Gore, Davis, Crabtree, the O-Line).

But if he goes to the Browns (who have.... Cameron?), the lack of a stable org... good Lord. Browns should just re-sign Hoyer who was doing fine until Gordon came back and they tried to force everything his way. Re-sign Hoyer, use those mid 1sts to draft a decent wideout (Kevin white?) and D-Line and get some more pieces later (O-Line, WR, OLB, S).

That team is kind of heading in the right direction (they were leading the division at one point) and just needs a few more pieces to be a playoff contender.