• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns @ Bengals

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Honestly, how many times do you see the Bengals blow a team out?

That's because Marvin coaches to keep both teams in the game.....

And this is why I have to agree with Buckeye's general assertion. You can only have minimal success at best in the playoffs playing the way we do barely pulling off ugly wins.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont agree with Rey and Buckeye at all. The important thing is just to get into the playoffs and get the most favorable position that you can. I think it honestly all comes down to playing well at the right time. Look at the Packers last year. Barely eeked into the playoffs but gelled at the right time. You think anyone gives a fuck that they won some games by less a margin than they should've or dropped games they shouldnt have during the regualr season? Same with the Steelers SB runs and the Giants. It's all about momentum at the right time and just winning (not winning pretty) during the regular season. The bengals have enough talent to where if they do get into the playoffs and all the pieces come together at the right time they could be a dangerous team.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Steelers had one of the greatest defenses of the last couple decades. The Packers were an amazing team and one of the SB favorites before the season. Their regular season record was a result of injuries, not because of lack of talent. The Giants I'll give you. But they did have the #1 rushing attack in ypc and ypg the SB year as well as the #5 defense in points and yards. They definitely weren't slouches, but obviously not favorites either.

Now, the main difference between the Bengals and those teams: those teams didn't let up. They didn't shut down their offense because they were up 1 score. That style/philosophy wouldn't be so bad if we weren't one of the worst rushing teams in the league.

All that isn't to say we can't be that cinderella playoff team, but the hole we dig ourselves is much bigger than it should be resulting in a much less likelihood of being that team.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Case in point: Saints up 35-10. On this last series with under 2 minutes in the 3rd, they passed the ball 3 straight times for a 3 and out. No way Marvin allows the team to play with that kind of aggression. Let alone the fact that due to his style, the Bengals would never even have an opportunity to be up that much.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think having to come back to win games against inferior teams, and barely pulling out games where you were ahead qualify as having momentum at the right time.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's not momentum at the right time. The right time would be in the playoffs. Winning ugly is just how good teams (particularly AFCN teams) get to the playoffs. Only a few teams are capable of 'pretty' wins on a consistent basis (GB, NO and NE). They also have a common thread of having amazing, HOF vet QBs in a pass friendly league.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Steelers had one of the greatest defenses of the last couple decades. The Packers were an amazing team and one of the SB favorites before the season. Their regular season record was a result of injuries, not because of lack of talent. The Giants I'll give you. But they did have the #1 rushing attack in ypc and ypg the SB year as well as the #5 defense in points and yards. They definitely weren't slouches, but obviously not favorites either.

Now, the main difference between the Bengals and those teams: those teams didn't let up. They didn't shut down their offense because they were up 1 score. That style/philosophy wouldn't be so bad if we weren't one of the worst rushing teams in the league.

All that isn't to say we can't be that cinderella playoff team, but the hole we dig ourselves is much bigger than it should be resulting in a much less likelihood of being that team.

Yes, the Bengals D is not near the Pitt D on those teams. They're good, but not that good. They've got some obvious holes (i.e. the secondary) that a team like NE could exploit in a heart beat. So they're not quite SB caliber yet. That being said if they did catch fire they're capable of making some noise in the playoffs. They could potentially beat a team like NE. You never know. Doubtful that lightning could strike twice and they beat a NE then say a NO or GB in the Superbowl (but maybe those teams get knocked out and say SF makes it who is beatable). You never know. This season in my view is already a success and way more than I thought this team was capable of. If they could win a playoff game or two (which I think they can) it's a HUGE success. The Jets (who play in a similar fashion) came within a **** hair of the SB the past couple years and got to the title game.

As far as not stepping on the throat and winning ugly people seem to forget that we're playign with a rookie QB. The fact that Dalton is winning period I think is remarkable. Week by week they're opening things up for him and allowing him to do more. I dont have an issue with how he's been managed. That being said in the past when Carson was here when they'd get a lead there was definitely a 'playing not to lose' thing going on which made me sick. Marv seems to have gotten a little more aggresive. Maybe that changes with Dalton. But it's hard to go for the throat when you gotta come back to get the W. This year at least, correct me if I'm wrong, they really havent been in that situation (ie playing with a big lead)

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'll agree that if there were ever a year to do it, this is it. It seems the scales have tipped towards the NFC. You've got great teams in GB and NO. SF and Det (inconsistent) are a tier below but as good as any team in the AFC. Chicago would have been in the same book had it not been for the injury to Cutler. On the flip side, every team in the AFC has holes and is as wide open as it's been in decades.

We haven't gotten a big lead on a team in 2 years. Marvin shuts 'er down with a 7 point lead. Off the top of my head, we did it against SF (I believe that was a 3 point lead) after an amazing first drive and against Denver I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We never led at Denver, but the SF game was a nightmare. If we could have just put together one or two offensive drives after the first drive we would have won the game.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I actually didnt get to see the San Fran game as I was travelling. But, San Fran's D is definitely legit. Also, if memory serves me correctly that was the game that Dalton was questionable to play as he'd injured his throwing hand the week before. Seemed like he was off that day from what I had heard. Could've been a combination of his thwoing hand not being 100% and going against a good D.

As far as the AFC goes I think Cinci could beat anybody besides the Pats. If they can get into the playoffs they're certainly capable of beating Oakland, Pitt, balt etc..

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Marvin had his paws all over that SF game. That first drive is among Dalton's best in his short career. Then it was run, run, pass the rest of the way. I believe there were some 14 or so straight punts combined. It was ugly.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, we still didn't realize what we had in Dalton when we played San Fran....that and the fact he was coming off the injury probably explains the super conservative plan that day....well, that, and Marvin....

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton was injured in the Cleveland game. He put up 300+ the next week in Denver - I don't think he was still hurt by the time we played SF.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin has been hurt for 8+ seasons now.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Bengals also allowed the Seahawks and Colts to hang around all game. The Jags and Browns (last week) took it to them most of the game and we barely pulled it out. The Bills were good when we played them as were the Titans, so I won't hold those against them, but those were games we also barely eeked out.

The rest of 'em we lost. That is Marvin's formula, not a winning one.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Bengals also allowed the Seahawks and Colts to hang around all game. The Jags and Browns (last week) took it to them most of the game and we barely pulled it out. The Bills were good when we played them as were the Titans, so I won't hold those against them, but those were games we also barely eeked out.

The rest of 'em we lost. That is Marvin's formula, not a winning one.

Not in the playoffs. If he uses the same gameplan in the playoffs that he's used all season long, we'll be a first round exit again.