• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos sign Chiefs EDGE Frank Clark

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly hope they can. The defense was ridiculous last year. The numbers don't fully show it because of how awful the offense was. Health is a huge concern again, of course. But I agree, hovering around the top 10 and seeing the offense actually contribute something for a change would probably put this team in the range of 10 or so wins.

I don't think you will ever see a Vance Joseph defense be 1st in total defense and probably not even 1st in points allowed per game. His style of defense doesn't really adhere to that unless you have superstars at say 7 of the 11 positions and above average at the other 4 spots with some quality backups mixed in.

Sean Payton likes aggressive defensive callers because it helps the offense with shortened field opportunities and a lot of 3 and outs. Look at the guys he brought in for interviews this offseason from Vance Joseph to that of Rex Ryan. His time in the Saints he had Gregg Williams. He is another aggressive play caller. So that means a lot of turnover opportunities but also a lot of big plays given up along the way depending on the talent level and some luck. Honestly if I were a betting man I would bet on Simmons hitting the over on INT's this season.

But like I said if the defense can get around that 10th spot in total defense and be top-5 in turnovers then we got something good cooking and the offense maybe set up for more success to put up decent points.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you will ever see a Vance Joseph defense be 1st in total defense and probably not even 1st in points allowed per game. His style of defense doesn't really adhere to that unless you have superstars at say 7 of the 11 positions and above average at the other 4 spots with some quality backups mixed in.

Sean Payton likes aggressive defensive callers because it helps the offense with shortened field opportunities and a lot of 3 and outs. Look at the guys he brought in for interviews this offseason from Vance Joseph to that of Rex Ryan. His time in the Saints he had Gregg Williams. He is another aggressive play caller. So that means a lot of turnover opportunities but also a lot of big plays given up along the way depending on the talent level and some luck. Honestly if I were a betting man I would bet on Simmons hitting the over on INT's this season.

But like I said if the defense can get around that 10th spot in total defense and be top-5 in turnovers then we got something good cooking and the offense maybe set up for more success to put up decent points.

Yes, if you pay attention to defenses under Sean Payton they typically get a lot of sacks and turnovers but they will give up points as well.

If we have a good offense and our defense is creating turnovers I am ok with this. However, if we have the same cruddy offense we had had the last 7 years then it is going to be a problem.

Our current defense has been really good but we haven't created a lot of turnovers. For a guy who loves interceptions this might be good for me as long as our offense starts putting up numbers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if you pay attention to defenses under Sean Payton they typically get a lot of sacks and turnovers but they will give up points as well.

If we have a good offense and our defense is creating turnovers I am ok with this. However, if we have the same cruddy offense we had had the last 7 years then it is going to be a problem.

Our current defense has been really good but we haven't created a lot of turnovers. For a guy who loves interceptions this might be good for me as long as our offense starts putting up numbers.

This is where Payton believes so much in his ability to turn around the offense that he is willing to take a chance on the defensive play caller and see how things play out. I'm torn on how successful this plan has been in his career. It leads to a lot of wins, but also sets things up where if the offense has a bad day in the playoffs then good chance the defense is going to give up some points. They average giving up 31.25 points per game in their playoff losses. Aggressive play callers usually work great against average to below average QB's. Against the greats though they thrive in that environment.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot I like about Payton that I feel has been the total opposite of our team even since I have been alive.

I'm not saying this stuff has never happen but I love that he likes speed and playmakers on offense and he is a big fan of creating turnovers. Seems like in the history of the Broncos we have never been consistently good at having either of those things.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot I like about Payton that I feel has been the total opposite of our team even since I have been alive.

I'm not saying this stuff has never happen but I love that he likes speed and playmakers on offense and he is a big fan of creating turnovers. Seems like in the history of the Broncos we have never been consistently good at having either of those things.

Fun fact. Saints were top-10 in turnover differential every year from 2017 through 2021 with Payton at the helm.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact. Saints were top-10 in turnover differential every year from 2017 through 2021 with Payton at the helm.

I always liked to grab the Sean Payton defense in fantasy football. They were never in the top D's to go and you could get them at a bargain spot after the top D's went because of the turnovers and sacks they got.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked to grab the Sean Payton defense in fantasy football. They were never in the top D's to go and you could get them at a bargain spot after the top D's went because of the turnovers and sacks they got.
1688673793654.png

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can be ok with some big plays on defense if we are overall a very aggressive defense. I don't have the stats to back it up but it seems like the most big plays happen against two kinds of defenses: the really aggressive ones and the really bad ones. We've seen both in Denver in recent years. Even the 2015 unit seemed to allow a pretty big play every week. That's the NFL today and really it shouldn't be a surprise given the way the league has been on a campaign to render defensive football a subtle formality rather than an actual part of the game these days.

I also don't really care about the rankings, I just want the product on the field to be effective. Turnovers when they need them, stops on 3rd down/4th and inches. Discipline. (Meaning not drawing penalties on the same plays where someone else came down with a pick, made a stop on 3rd down, etc.) Defensive stats can sometimes be deceiving. I recall the 2005 defense being ranked relatively low against the pass but that secondary was snatching up everything in the air. Plus the front of that unit wasn't putting up with any nonsense from opponents. I believe they were ranked 3rd in scoring that year. Third or fourth. I don't care about the rankings, I just hope VJ can keep scoring under control. Realistically if a defense is holding opponents to 20 PPG they are doing their part with today's rules. We just need more - a lot more - from this offense.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorta funny to think we have Randy Gregory and Frank Clark both at EDGE.... A year ago that would have looked insane... Now it still looks promising but both have to prove it this year between health and resorting back to what they were prior to last year. (Gregory was never really ever healthy last year)
:bump::behindsofa:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clark was never a fit as a stand up LBer.
odd move and makes you question who is calling the shots and what they were thinking.