• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos Backfield 2013

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be the most intriguing aspect of the off season. The Broncos have a growing roster in this area.

Willis McGahee
Knowshon Moreno
Montee Ball
Ronnie Hillman
Lance Ball
Jacob Hester
Mario Fannin
Jeremiah Johnson
CJ Anderson

I think the Broncos will open the season with 4-5 backs and one on the practice squad. Who stays and who gos? They seem committed to seeing the Hillman draft pick through it's development stage. Montee Ball is their newest stud and Lance Ball just re-upped with the team. Lance Ball provides some intangible special teams and insurance policy benefits. I've always been pulling for Johnson and Hester is notably our only fullback on the roster

So, it's my belief that either McGahee or Moreno may be cut before the season begins. I still think the Broncos have more faith in a 31 year old McGahee than they do in Moreno. I think we open the 2013 season with:

McGahee
Hillman
Montee Ball
Lance Ball
Jacob Hester (FB)

By game 7, Montee Ball gets the most snaps of any of the running backs.

Thoughts?

Go Broncos!

MH64

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if McGahee is back, honestly I think he's going to have to blow them away in camp and the preseason, I mean really show he's back to form and completely healthy and running really hard, or he's gone.

I think Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman are locks to be on the roster, and I think Lance Ball will probably stay on the team, too (although I'd cut him loose). Knowshon will also have to blow them away to make the team. Honestly with their emphasis on the passing game I'd be surprised if more than 4 backs stay on the team.

Orange-and-Blue

Go Broncos!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be shocked to see McGahee on the team come September. He's familiar with the offense and he can block well enough. I think The Full Montee will have to learn the offense and blocking schemes before he plays any kind of role. I can see a choice being made between McGahee and Moreno and I believe Moreno would be the one to go.

FYI...this is E-Love. Im done with ESPN. I liked the format but I hate the mass amount of trolls.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think McGahee gets cut before the season starts. He is long in the tooth and has had some injury and fumble issues recently. I think Moreno provides more potential even if his production has not been what McGahee has given us.

I know we keep a pair of Balls and Hillman. I think the rest will duke it out for special teams and practice squad roles. It seemed like Johnson or Fannin were doing well last year prior to injury, I think one of those two grabs a spot.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montee Ball
Ronnie Hillman
Knowshon Moreno
Lance Ball

McGahee's age, injury, and recent fumble issues may spell his end as a Bronco, and maybe his end as an NFL RB. Montee Ball should be able to replace his short-yardage and goal-line capabilities, which would make him expendable. While he would probably still play at a very high level, someone has to be cut, and now we have someone who can probably do all of the things that he has been doing.

It will be sad to see him go, if that is what happens. He has been a stud and a leader for us, and I would like to see him have one more chance to get a SB ring with us. I just don't know if he will make the roster, as RBs tend to have a precipitous fall at the end of their careers, and the Johns will surely have to consider that when cuts are made.

As to who will be getting the most carries, if McGahee is cut, I would assume Montee Ball will be getting the most carries from Week 1.

FFSparky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hillman received allot of praise last season, It was obvious his major weakness was pass blocking, and probably second was missing the holes. I’m betting Montee Ball puts some significant pressure on him and perhaps moves ahead of him on the chart as I feel he has more skills.

The only point for me about Moreno. For a guy who spent a fair amount of time on the practice squad (which was earned because of not protecting the ball) and I don’t recall one negative line in the press from him about his status. I’m hoping he makes it for this season as he earned my respect back when he returned and played rather well including protecting the ball! He quietly did his job for the team.

I can’t argue DSH points about McGahee but I hold hope he stays so here’s my list

I think 5:
Willis McGahee
Knowshon Moreno
Montee Ball
Ronnie Hillman
Lance Ball

Bottom line is this is a Bittersweet situation.

Anyone have anything on Mario Fannin? Is he done as he’s been on IR for 2 seasons I believe?

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Ronnie Hillman having a lot of pressure on him due to the drafting of Ball, because he is not an every-down back. He is a third-down change-of-pace back and his speed makes him a home run hitter. His skill set is different from the rest of the RBs on the team. He does, however, need to learn how to pick up blitzes and block, as that is an integral part of an NFL offense.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an interview yesterday on KKFN, the Fan in Denver, John Elway went on and on about how Montee Ball has the same look and running style of Terrell Davis. I'm starting to think that their goal is to get him into a starting position ASAP. I agree with most of you that his blitz pickup and ability to protect our quarterback will be the wild card. If he gets good at it quickly, Montee will be our starter. Teams are only getting a few good years out of running backs any more, so he might as well get into the game sooner than later.

Go Broncos!