• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos 2018 NFL Draft

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each their own, but I really have ZERO interest in attending an NFL draft in person. I passed it up when it was in Chicago. Just too many dumb fans hanging around thinking they know what they are talking about. IMO, it would be annoying to be around that many people during the draft. I want to be alone or with other people who actually know a thing of two. (So far Geo is the only person I have let watch the draft with me, I guess he doesn't annoy me too much) ;).. But then again he naps a lot during it.

I want my couch, my laptop so I can post on SportsHoopla all day and a fair amount of goodies... No morons around me please.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah and Oklahoma actually appears to have a Defense this year.. Something they didn't have last year.

Not that he was ever high on my prospect list but JT Barrett surely doesn't look like an NFL QB to me.
I've never thought Barrett was deserving of the hype he's gotten. Yes, he's a phenomenal athlete, but I guess I judge college players on how they will transition to NFL when watching them. Barretts got the typical big arm that given the time which he normally gets with the 4-5 star linemen in front of him ,that he can hit the wide open Wrs for 50 yds all day vs lesser teams but is extremely inaccurate, etc in all other areas of field. He's not even as good a " college " qb as Tebow was and we know how that turned out. I'll go on record, barring serious injury, that Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen go top three and if Barrett even survives as starter this year, he could very well be 6-7 rd pick if not undrafted when all's said and done. Imo of course.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Barrett is an above avg not great college QB, and a below average prospect.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never thought Barrett was deserving of the hype he's gotten. Yes, he's a phenomenal athlete, but I guess I judge college players on how they will transition to NFL when watching them. Barretts got the typical big arm that given the time which he normally gets with the 4-5 star linemen in front of him ,that he can hit the wide open Wrs for 50 yds all day vs lesser teams but is extremely inaccurate, etc in all other areas of field. He's not even as good a " college " qb as Tebow was and we know how that turned out. I'll go on record, barring serious injury, that Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen go top three and if Barrett even survives as starter this year, he could very well be 6-7 rd pick if not undrafted when all's said and done. Imo of course.

Are you not a big believer in Lamar Jackson as an NFL prospect?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you weren't asking me but for the record. I am still up in the air on Lamar. I really think he could use all 4 years but he won't. He does a lot of great things I want to see at the next level but then he does a lot of things that make me think he is needs a lot more time.

I do love how much he improved as a passer from his FR to SOPH season. Ive never seen a jump that big. He was an AWFUL passer his FR year to the point where he just became strictly a running QB. But he really developed a ton as a passer from week 1 last year vs Marshall. Very fast development.

If you watch his game too a lot of his receivers appear to be WIDE OPEN! They really anticipate Lamar running and that allows Smith and Fitzpatrick to get open fairly easily it seems. He also hands onto the ball too long.

But he has shown has also has tools to succeed at the next level. I haven't gone over the mountain with him yet, but I am on top of it.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you not a big believer in Lamar Jackson as an NFL prospect?
Not as a qb but after last game he looks like he's worked very hard at improving his pocket game and reads. Have to see if he continues to make strides as year goes and it's possible he could change my perspective before draft. :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as a qb but after last game he looks like he's worked very hard at improving his pocket game and reads. Have to see if he continues to make strides as year goes and it's possible he could change my perspective before draft. :)
Meant to throw accuracy in there too.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no I didn't see DC's comment while I was taking forever on my kindle.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you weren't asking me but for the record. I am still up in the air on Lamar. I really think he could use all 4 years but he won't. He does a lot of great things I want to see at the next level but then he does a lot of things that make me think he is needs a lot more time.

I do love how much he improved as a passer from his FR to SOPH season. Ive never seen a jump that big. He was an AWFUL passer his FR year to the point where he just became strictly a running QB. But he really developed a ton as a passer from week 1 last year vs Marshall. Very fast development.

If you watch his game too a lot of his receivers appear to be WIDE OPEN! They really anticipate Lamar running and that allows Smith and Fitzpatrick to get open fairly easily it seems. He also hands onto the ball too long.

But he has shown has also has tools to succeed at the next level. I haven't gone over the mountain with him yet, but I am on top of it.

This is a very fair assessment. There are still plenty of holes to his game. Nick did a nice breakdown of him earlier today showing especially the out routes to the right are passes he really struggles with. I don't know how many times he just threw it out of bounds because he struggled to show any kind of touch.

I'm also not a big believer in his ability to hold up long-term if he doesn't learn to either A) learn how to avoid so many big hits by going down or running out of bounds or 2) use his legs more as a last option while relying on his arm more and more.

I do agree his improvement year by year is very impressive. This year I'm seeing him stay in the pocket more and when he does scramble still look for the pass much more than taking off running. I've see a bit more touch on his throws so far this year compared to the bullets he kept throwing last year. He also is showing some progression in his ability to get through his reads and throw to a spot instead of just waiting for a WR to get open. He hasn't mastered any of that by any means but it is progression.

I do think he is a bit of a project and probably needs a year on the bench. My guess is he will get taken higher than that and be expected to step in right off the bat where he will have some big time highlight plays but also look lost for a while. It will be fun to see how NFL defenses try to contain his ability. Haven't seen a QB that can run like him since healthy RGIII or Michael Vick. Defenses were swimming trying to contain that type of speed.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vick era ruined everything for the RG3, Kap, etc Qbs for prob along time. Give D's one go thru with these type Qbs and their pretty much toast unless they learn pocket,progressions,etc. Wilson is best example of Qb that's made adjustment. None of these guys ,Barrett, Jackson or any of those other style qbs will have career in NFL as starter unless they can make those steps. Apparently, history has proven it.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayfield was awesome last night for OU. Looks like a classic very good college QB, but not great pro prospect? Seems to have the leadership part of the job description down pat. Thoughts?

I thought he was crazy as well . He was excellent in hitting WR in Rolling out of the pocket extending the time to throw .. I would want to know that was not a crutch but I am interested in him

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each their own, but I really have ZERO interest in attending an NFL draft in person. I passed it up when it was in Chicago. Just too many dumb fans hanging around thinking they know what they are talking about. IMO, it would be annoying to be around that many people during the draft. I want to be alone or with other people who actually know a thing of two. (So far Geo is the only person I have let watch the draft with me, I guess he doesn't annoy me too much) ;).. But then again he naps a lot during it.

I want my couch, my laptop so I can post on SportsHoopla all day and a fair amount of goodies... No morons around me please.

I think it would be cool but, would want to hang with people from here.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vick era ruined everything for the RG3, Kap, etc Qbs for prob along time. Give D's one go thru with these type Qbs and their pretty much toast unless they learn pocket,progressions,etc. Wilson is best example of Qb that's made adjustment. None of these guys ,Barrett, Jackson or any of those other style qbs will have career in NFL as starter unless they can make those steps. Apparently, history has proven it.

I would say Michael Vick still made it work even with very little pocket presence. He had a winning record most years with the Falcons. RGIII made it work until he got hurt and then had the owner step in forcing Shanahan to change up the offense to a more traditional offense that did not fit him well. Kaepernick even had his moments and took a team to the Super Bowl and almost won.

I think the issue for a lot of these guys is they have gotten some old school coaches that have not played them to their strengths always. I feel if you draft one of these style of QB's you have to design the offense around their skill set instead of expecting them to fit perfectly into your system. Carolina has done apretty good job with it with Cam. Like I said Shanahan did a great job with RGIII his rookie year. Vick when he got with Reid they were willing to do it. If you have this style of QB you better have a backup that fits within that as well.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Michael Vick still made it work even with very little pocket presence. He had a winning record most years with the Falcons. RGIII made it work until he got hurt and then had the owner step in forcing Shanahan to change up the offense to a more traditional offense that did not fit him well. Kaepernick even had his moments and took a team to the Super Bowl and almost won.

I think the issue for a lot of these guys is they have gotten some old school coaches that have not played them to their strengths always. I feel if you draft one of these style of QB's you have to design the offense around their skill set instead of expecting them to fit perfectly into your system. Carolina has done apretty good job with it with Cam. Like I said Shanahan did a great job with RGIII his rookie year. Vick when he got with Reid they were willing to do it. If you have this style of QB you better have a backup that fits within that as well.

Yes!

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the breakdown

I really want to buy in to the Lamar Jackson potential QB1 hype but I'm struggling to do so right now. He puts up video game stats week in and week out, but there are two main quibbles I have watching him that are still coming up this season.

1) the outside the hashmark intermediate touch passes

Too many plays he just lacks the touch and accuracy on this throw. The 10-20 yard pass outside the hashmark is erratic still. Can't tell if it's his footwork or just missing it, but saw him miss a few 'gimmes' on this pass. Intermediate touch passes with timing are some of the hardest to make in the league, but a skill that is important in running NFL offense. Jackson had some that were good but I saw a lot that floated, had poor placement, or he just flat out missed (ball sailing out of bounds). Sometimes he throws it off his back foot as well, leading the ball to float to the flat. NFL corners likely are able take advantage of that, and with that type of throw comes a higher risk of a pick 6. Just needs to get more consistent on those intermediate touch/timing passes that are so important in the NFL.

2. Protecting his body after he leaves pocket

Lamar Jackson is listed at 6'3" and about 210 lbs. I will need to see Combine weigh-ins to confirm but overall, he is a slender dude. Even if he wasn't 'slight', I have concerns with the hits he subjects himself too. Yes, absolutely, love it when the QB goes for it on 3rd down and lowers the shoulder to try to get the first, but there are chances Jackson has to slide or get out of bounds to save himself from a hit and he just doesn't do it. You don't have to make him a pocket QB, but he has to do a better job protecting himself. The next time I see him lower his throwing shoulder into a linebacker I'm going to throw my remote through the computer screen. He is an electric athlete, good enough to be a high pick at WR, let alone QB, but the NFL is a different beast. He can't subject his body to the hits he is this year and stay healthy/effective. If he does continue finishing runs like he is, and stays healthy at his stature, he would be the first.

I do like Jackson a lot. He looks to have taken necessary steps forward as a passer this season. First( I am seeing him stand/glide on the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield and going through his progressions. He also appears to have improved his pocket mobility this year and extending plays as a passer (not just tucking and running) and is as electric as ever with a whip that can hurt you deep and work the middle of the field with tight windows, but these are my current concerns with the reigning Heisman Winner.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No ! Defenses have caught up to this style of offense and these qbs. If they don't have the ability " football wise " between the ears, their one and done . RG 3 ? He got other chances and failed miserably. Kap ? If you think it's black ball your nuts. Not many teams are willing to change their system for guys that can't go thru progressions, make necessary reads at line of scrimmage, etc. You say coaches haven't been willing to play to their strengths,etc. Most teams/coaches are smart enough to know these guys are not worth scrapping your whole desired offensive scheme to maybe go 8-8 if their lucky and have to be even luckier these guys last half a season. Sorry but saying those things isn't going to help your boy Lynch out. Give it up. Unless he progresses to even half of TS abilities, he's going to be lucky to be on a roster in 2019. Maybe you guys should get with OBrian in Houston. He could use the help evaluating NFL ready Qbs ? :)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the breakdown

I really want to buy in to the Lamar Jackson potential QB1 hype but I'm struggling to do so right now. He puts up video game stats week in and week out, but there are two main quibbles I have watching him that are still coming up this season.

1) the outside the hashmark intermediate touch passes

Too many plays he just lacks the touch and accuracy on this throw. The 10-20 yard pass outside the hashmark is erratic still. Can't tell if it's his footwork or just missing it, but saw him miss a few 'gimmes' on this pass. Intermediate touch passes with timing are some of the hardest to make in the league, but a skill that is important in running NFL offense. Jackson had some that were good but I saw a lot that floated, had poor placement, or he just flat out missed (ball sailing out of bounds). Sometimes he throws it off his back foot as well, leading the ball to float to the flat. NFL corners likely are able take advantage of that, and with that type of throw comes a higher risk of a pick 6. Just needs to get more consistent on those intermediate touch/timing passes that are so important in the NFL.

2. Protecting his body after he leaves pocket

Lamar Jackson is listed at 6'3" and about 210 lbs. I will need to see Combine weigh-ins to confirm but overall, he is a slender dude. Even if he wasn't 'slight', I have concerns with the hits he subjects himself too. Yes, absolutely, love it when the QB goes for it on 3rd down and lowers the shoulder to try to get the first, but there are chances Jackson has to slide or get out of bounds to save himself from a hit and he just doesn't do it. You don't have to make him a pocket QB, but he has to do a better job protecting himself. The next time I see him lower his throwing shoulder into a linebacker I'm going to throw my remote through the computer screen. He is an electric athlete, good enough to be a high pick at WR, let alone QB, but the NFL is a different beast. He can't subject his body to the hits he is this year and stay healthy/effective. If he does continue finishing runs like he is, and stays healthy at his stature, he would be the first.

I do like Jackson a lot. He looks to have taken necessary steps forward as a passer this season. First( I am seeing him stand/glide on the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield and going through his progressions. He also appears to have improved his pocket mobility this year and extending plays as a passer (not just tucking and running) and is as electric as ever with a whip that can hurt you deep and work the middle of the field with tight windows, but these are my current concerns with the reigning Heisman Winner.

Great rundown Nick. Well done.