• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian Hoyer

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers, Cowbows, Broncos and Jets all interested in Hoyer? So Hoyer a hot FA? Who a thunk it. Even serviceable QBs are in short supply.

Amazing isn't it? I've been a supporter of Hoyer but given that he's had more than enough opportunities to show his stuff and failed pretty convincingly, I'm amazed he still gets work.

What did he make last year?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing isn't it? I've been a supporter of Hoyer but given that he's had more than enough opportunities to show his stuff and failed pretty convincingly, I'm amazed he still gets work.

What did he make last year?
The Playoffs???:noidea:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll command a Chase Daniel's contract at least, right? 3/21
If a team was interested in paying him that, why not just give Houston a 7th rounder and get him for 1 year a $4M? He'll probably get a one year deal worth $3-4M. Maybe 2 years @ $6M total???

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team was interested in paying him that, why not just give Houston a 7th rounder and get him for 1 year a $4M? He'll probably get a one year deal worth $3-4M. Maybe 2 years @ $6M total???

There's 3-4 teams without any QBs. I'd consider Hoyer a borderline starter/top backup type.

I dunno why no one would give up a 7th for him. He performs well some days for most of the year. That has some value.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, so far with Hoyer emerges when the decent (or great in the case of Cleveland) pass-blocking lines he has enjoyed in Cleveland and Houston all of the sudden don't stonewall the opposition... very bad INT's happen. It's not that Hoyer can't be successful enough to win games, he just happens to be a limited QB with no ability whatsoever to handle a robust passrush. It's no accident he got embarrassed and punished by most any defense with a solid passrush he faced in 2015. His starts vs the Chiefs x2, Bengals, and Patriots pretty well indicate to me he'll fold when the going gets tough.

The Texans PPG in those games against those playoff caliber defenses? Bold indicates home games.

Chiefs: 20; but benched for Mallet and played no part in most of those points. Scored 9 before benching; 27-9.
Bengals: 10; somehow they won this on the road
Patriots: 6; Pummeled from beginning to end, lost by 3 touchdowns.
Chiefs: 0; Self explanatory

9 points per game. Granted, those are all pretty good defenses so we probably shouldn't assume average or even marginally below average scoring rates, but 9 PPG is a bit hard to swallow. An offense that bad talent wise doesn't exist in the NFL. If you're feeling particularly cruel, we can even go even lower than that 9 PPG if we account for benchings.

The Texans also played the Panthers and scored 17 points, but Mallett was the QB.

Nice placeholder, arguably the "perfect" backup, but I think being 18th in QB rating like Hoyer was is wildly deceiving given his flaws show up rather calamitously when it comes to handling pressure.

I'm definitely not saying he is perfect by any means but I do think teams could do a lot worse. You are right with pressure in his face he is prone to mistakes. For a team to win they have to have a lot of talent around him as he will not carry the team. Still at least for me as a Bronco fan I would view him as an upgrade over anything we had last year. Not quite the upgrade I am hoping for as I would much rather have a guy I think can finish top-10 in the league but I wouldn't be too upset if the Broncos brought him in to compete with Sanchez and see which one wins while having a rookie develop for a year.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoyer is a fine backup QB and a maybe a just below average NFL starter if he's thrown into that mix with a team lacking a QB.

Teams with serious backup QB questions should probably give him a look.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tough to give him 2 years, I could see that but very little guarantees on the 2nd year. Think McCown, Sanchez, Henne money (2 years... 8-11 mil).

Last year was by far his best year and with a really talented team, he managed to win 5 games (5-4 reg season 0-1 playoffs, Mallett, Yates, and Weeden were a combined 4-3), get benched for Mallett, knocked out of missing starts twice (multiple concussions), really cool off late in the year, and have an all-time bad playoff performance.

And that's him outlier good (better than he's ever looked in his 7 years in the NFL). I guess if I was going to really invest in him, I'd like to see him look better than Yates/Weeden in the same offense with more practice time than them.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Playoffs???:noidea:

30-0.....May as well not of. The qb carousel that eventually put Hoyer on the bench, says the biggest thing he made was a mess....If they would have had a decent qb, the sky is the limit, the JJ train is for real !!!
The qb situation is a shambles...:2cents: