• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News: Dallas radio 105.3 reporting

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its gonna be an interesting season/off season for sure,,,,,i still think it makes since for ND,BYU to join the big 12 because they will be able to keep their network deals and ND can keep the games with usc/navy if they want.....and yes im aware this is very unlikely

please no. i've had enough drama for one off season.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
its gonna be an interesting season/off season for sure,,,,,i still think it makes since for ND,BYU to join the big 12 because they will be able to keep their network deals and ND can keep the games with usc/navy if they want.....and yes im aware this is very unlikely

The B12 won't stay together, get used to the idea.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is some quick math I have been working out if the Pac-16 happens with the proposed UT, OU, OSU and TTU.

The current Pac-12 has a $3 billion ten year TV deal for its first and second tier rights. I'm not sure how they are doing it with Utah and Colorado not being full members yet but they are saying they are getting $21 million per school per year for that.

The current Pac-12 has a population footprint of about 60 million (according to the 2010 census). It has the primary 2 schools in every state except Utah where it has the secondary team and Colorado where it only has one team. It has the four premeir teams in CA.

The 4 Big 12 schools have a footprint of about 30 million (2010 census). It has the primary two schools in OK and the 2 of the top 3 in TX.

Adding 30 million people would be a 50% increase in TV sets to the Pac-12. Just doing easy math that would make the deal worth $4.5 billion over 10 years or $28.125 million per school per year (assuming everyone is an equal partner right off the bat).

While this math isn't 100% accurate because almost everyone already has Fox and ESPN and has access to the current Pac 12 games but having those teams in competition with institutions in those states makes the games way more watchable. Also fans in the new states probably watch at a higher rate than those in the current Pac 12.

While that $28 million is impressive on its own the real value to adding those states will be the new Pac network (especially the regional one) which will now be picked up in all new markets with 30 million people in them. They are projected to be worth $10 million to each team every year currently by the end of the decade. Could that number reach $20 million with these new additions?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Pac-12 does add Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State they will for sure be the best conference, there is no way the SEC could get stronger than them, all the SEC could really add are A&M, Virginia Tech and some weaker teams that just make the conference worse.

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

BYU...yes.

As for ND, the NBC contract isn't what we are mainly interested it. We want to play a national schedule, the TV deal is simply what allows us to do that. We would only join a conference if the NBC deal was no longer an option.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current Pac-12 has a population footprint of about 60 million (according to the 2010 census). It has the primary 2 schools in every state except Utah where it has the secondary team and Colorado where it only has one team. It has the four premeir teams in CA.

That's debatable, right now I'd say AFA is a better team than CU, which is right on par with CSU.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's debatable, right now I'd say AFA is a better team than CU, which is right on par with CSU.

yeah at the moment Air Force is definitely the best team in Colorado

chances are Colorado State will be better than Colorado

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

you're right, i can easily see a good argument for afa over cu. but for me i'm glad it's cu but i cant put a finger on why, maybe it's because i want to play as many old big 8 teams as possible in the future. I also have my fingers crossed that it's ku and not tt that ends up getting the pac invite.

by the way, nice post eaterfan:clap2:

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't mean the best. I mean the most valuable. Ucla is probably worse than San Diego state this year and last but ucla is the more valuable program.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean the best. I mean the most valuable. Ucla is probably worse than San Diego state this year and last but ucla is the more valuable program.

Most valuable? In what way? Alumni base...because right now CU's athletic programs are in dire straits monetarily speaking.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just mostly mean fan base size. Maybe my view is skewed because I don't live in Colorado butI know 15 or more cu fans one afa fan and 0 csu fans. Look at stadium size too. I don't know them off the top of my head but I would think cu's is biggest. Not an absolute indicator but it shows something.

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Boone Pickens now involved in Big12vs Pac16 talk

Boone came out yesterday and is pushing hard to keep Big12 together. One poster over at land thieves speculated as follows

"With Boone wanting TCU, Tech chancellor talking Big 12 replacements, Mizzou and OU people flying around, and KU saying their done with KSU...I'm theorizing an OU/KU/Mizzou/UT move to the PAC.

The advantage for UT is that the Longhorn network / PAC regional network could be 100% UT, and not have to share it with Tech. ....."

Discuss

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFA is clearly better than CU, and would bring in more fans. Remember, Texas and oklahoma have a ton of Air Force bases.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boone came out yesterday and is pushing hard to keep Big12 together. One poster over at land thieves speculated as follows

"With Boone wanting TCU, Tech chancellor talking Big 12 replacements, Mizzou and OU people flying around, and KU saying their done with KSU...I'm theorizing an OU/KU/Mizzou/UT move to the PAC.

The advantage for UT is that the Longhorn network / PAC regional network could be 100% UT, and not have to share it with Tech. ....."

Discuss

Just don't see it happening. At least not with KU and Mizzou, neither of those are a value add for the PAC

If you go with OU/OSU/TX/TT you add 30 million in population. The LHN already exists, you add Tech programming to it to make it regional, and you've just expanded the Pac footprint by 50% by adding the two top schools from each state.

There would be no logical or financial reason to add KU and Mizzou.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't see it happening. At least not with KU and Mizzou, neither of those are a value add for the PAC

If you go with OU/OSU/TX/TT you add 30 million in population. The LHN already exists, you add Tech programming to it to make it regional, and you've just expanded the Pac footprint by 50% by adding the two top schools from each state.

There would be no logical or financial reason to add KU and Mizzou.

Maybe not Mizzou but KU has a basketball program that only UCLA can rival out west.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not Mizzou but KU has a basketball program that only UCLA can rival out west.

Doesn't matter. Expanding the footprint/money making potential trumps that all day everyday.

Scott is a TV exec......he understands he needs the markets more than he needs a basketball team. Getting two of the top 3 draws in Texas and the top draws in Oklahoma are the only package he's going to realistically consider.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding KU would expand the market even more, KU basketball will draw in all of Kansas and their alumni. Why would they add Tech if they already have the Texas market with UT? Makes more sense to expand it more by going after KU.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
AFA is clearly better than CU, and would bring in more fans. Remember, Texas and oklahoma have a ton of Air Force bases.

I think cu clearly has more value as far as revenue generating potential goes. The pac could have added afa last year if it wanted. Larry Scott is no moron. He knows what brings in TV revenue and researcher which Colorado program would bring the most money and invited them.