• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News: Dallas radio 105.3 reporting

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doesn't matter. Expanding the footprint/money making potential trumps that all day everyday.

Scott is a TV exec......he understands he needs the markets more than he needs a basketball team. Getting two of the top 3 draws in Texas and the top draws in Oklahoma are the only package he's going to realistically consider.

I actually think Missouri would add a lot of footprint. It adds kc and stl. That said I like the symmetry of 2 per region and the natural rivalries for ou and Texas in the original format.

Also Boone Pickens is just saying what everyone else is saying. Big 12 first but if that falls apart he is flexible.

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Doesn't matter. Expanding the footprint/money making potential trumps that all day everyday.

Scott is a TV exec......he understands he needs the markets more than he needs a basketball team. Getting two of the top 3 draws in Texas and the top draws in Oklahoma are the only package he's going to realistically consider.

tt or osu doesnt do anything for the footprint in my opinion compared to what ku and mu bring. its hard for a sportsminded person to surf through a ku basketball contest where as its pretty easy pass over a tt cfb game when there are better options. when you put ku and mu together you have the kc market covered and probably 1/3 of the stl market covered. i suspect thats more housholds than tt or osu could attract.

the question remains "why would pickens as early as yesterday say he wanted the big12 to stay together if osu wasnt at risk?" until i hear i viable explanation for why pickens wants to keep the conference together i have to consider osu at risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tt or osu doesnt do anything for the footprint in my opinion compared to what ku and mu bring. its hard for a sportsminded person to surf through a ku basketball contest where as its pretty easy pass over a tt cfb game when there are better options. when you put ku and mu together you have the kc market covered and probably 1/3 of the stl market covered. i suspect thats more housholds than tt or osu could attract.

the question remains "why would pickens as early as yesterday say he wanted the big12 to stay together if osu wasnt at risk?" until i hear i viable explanation for why pickens wants to keep the conference together i have to consider osu at risk.

KU/MU don't add a larger market.

Texas/TTech together is 30 million in population.....this is not even CLOSE to being debateable.

OSU really isn't at risk here, they go where OU goes. The Big 12 is still an AQ conference......keeping it together means for Texas and OU that they have a relatively EASY path to the BCS. OSU figures to contend (someday) and its a whole hell of a lot easier winning the Big 12 than the Pac 16

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Star, population is only part of the equation. People dont give a rats ass about texas tech football and a ut fan or an a&m fan is not going to watch TT football over whatever the sec is broadcasting at the same time.

stop on the population crap or kick okie state out of the equation. you cant have both

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Has tamu even applied for sec membership yet? Does anyone know?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star, population is only part of the equation. People dont give a rats ass about texas tech football and a ut fan or an a&m fan is not going to watch TT football over whatever the sec is broadcasting at the same time.

stop on the population crap or kick okie state out of the equation. you cant have both

You're missing it. Tech is the second or third most popular team IN STATE. They are a draw, and actually get better ratings, and have had higher rated games than A&M.

This is where population comes in. There is an excellent chance that Texas and Tech combined will take the lions share of the TV sets.

Like I said, it's not really debateable.....the neilsen ratings don't lie. KU/MU don't compete in these numbers.

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Has tamu even applied for sec membership yet? Does anyone know?

they had some sort of a sept 1 deadline from the sec but i dont know if that was an application deadline or something else.

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're missing it. Tech is the second or third most popular team IN STATE. They are a draw, and actually get better ratings, and have had higher rated games than A&M.

This is where population comes in. There is an excellent chance that Texas and Tech combined will take the lions share of the TV sets.

Like I said, it's not really debateable.....the neilsen ratings don't lie. KU/MU don't compete in these numbers.

Techs interest to most has been purely from the pirate and is fading fast, but i'll accept your tt position since i dont know any better.

Now try to explain why Okie State should be invited based on your population theory. You cant use OU because the 12 is dead and OU has no options that include OSU unless Scott just wants to be nice.

TheDudeAbides

Shomer Shabbat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think you are giving Tech too much credit. Bringing in Texas already gets the main draw from audiences located in Texas. I think it would be more benficial to bring in Missouri and have the KC, STL markets as opposed to getting Lubbock.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im sure it is mostly the politics of it all......tex legislature wants to keep tech/horns together and the same with oklahoma teams

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are giving Tech too much credit. Bringing in Texas already gets the main draw from audiences located in Texas. I think it would be more benficial to bring in Missouri and have the KC, STL markets as opposed to getting Lubbock.

Google Texas A&M ratings in houston. Tech OUTDRAWS them pretty much in the entire state, not just Lubbock.

I have no idea why this is. But the highest rated A&M game last season was against Arky......and Tech had 3 games rated higher than that. So did Texas.

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
im sure it is mostly the politics of it all......tex legislature wants to keep tech/horns together and the same with oklahoma teams

legislatures are now powerless imo. If no body wants tt or osu what are the legislatures going do now, keep ut or ou in a dead conference? i dont think so, we lost all are stroke when the conference lost its viability.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
An interesting thought I had is that it might make economic sense for ou to go to the pac and not for Texas. Once ou left it would make sense for ut to follow, economically.

If my 28 million figure is close to accurate and the pac network doesn't get to 15 million in revenue until 10 years in it doesn't do much for ut. They make 35 million a year now with TV and the lhn. It could take 4 years for the pac network to hit the 7 million needed for the pac to match the total revenue from tv. At the end of the ten years it would only be worth 8 million more a year. Always take the money up front when you can. The 43 million potential for Texas is only a 23 percent increase over the 35 million in the big 12.

Ou on the other hand is only making 20 mill this year and who knows how long their network will take before it is launched and profitable? I think TV execs have learned they overpaid for tlhn and won't over part for a less valuable ou network. Lets say its worth 8 million a year. That means the money is equal to the pacs 28 million first and second tier rights. Any network money is a bonus and 10 years out could be 15 million or 50 percent more than the about 30 million in the big 12.

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This weeks Big12 Tidbits

Just in case you missed out on noise around the league

-- OU flight to Columbia/Norman/College Station/Norman/Columbia (no exit fees if all three leave)

-- A&M formally withdraws

-- OU's overwhelming silence regarding future of Big 12

-- KU Chancellor publicly divorces KU from KSU

-- MU President's letter to alumni (i.e. we are highly desired and will land on our feet) -- very confident

-- Tech AD publicly stating twice their desire to keep the Big 12 together..twice this week.

-- UT's Dodds' "we're never going to close doors" with regard to PAC 16

-- T. Boone ranting and wanting to add TCU (which makes no sense at all regarding TV footprint)

From LandThieves

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case you missed out on noise around the league

-- OU flight to Columbia/Norman/College Station/Norman/Columbia (no exit fees if all three leave)

-- A&M formally withdraws

-- OU's overwhelming silence regarding future of Big 12

-- KU Chancellor publicly divorces KU from KSU

-- MU President's letter to alumni (i.e. we are highly desired and will land on our feet) -- very confident

-- Tech AD publicly stating twice their desire to keep the Big 12 together..twice this week.

-- UT's Dodds' "we're never going to close doors" with regard to PAC 16

-- T. Boone ranting and wanting to add TCU (which makes no sense at all regarding TV footprint)

From LandThieves

Good post Boomer... If these are real facts...it would lead us to believe writing on the wall... So much crap going around it's hard to know what is fact anymore...

NoShortcuts

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And this was when A&M was horrible and Texas wasn't:

Texas A&M could be worth more than Texas | Capstone Report

News June 13, 2010
Texas A&M could be worth more than Texas

H ow much value does A&M bring to the SEC? More than you might think.

Everyone believes Texas is the crown jewel in conference realignment; however, that might not be the case. According to a 2006 report by the Wall Street Journal, Texas A&M produced higher ratings than the Texas Longhorns.

According to the Journal, “In the nine bowl appearances that the Journal measured, the Longhorns generated a rating more than 7 percent below average despite having opponents that included ratings darlings such as Michigan, Penn State and Oregon. By this score, the Longhorns aren’t even the most popular team in Texas; that honor goes to Texas A&M, which ranked just behind USC in generating viewership.”

The numbers from the Journal:
1. University of Oregon
Ratings differential: +16 percent

2. University of Washington
Ratings differential: +10.6

3. University of Michigan
Ratings differential: +8.1

4. University of Southern California
Ratings differential: +6.7

5. Texas A&M University
Ratings differential: +6.4