• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Braves rotation

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man you have to feel for the Braves rotation. With all the uncertainty with the offense, no guarantee the OF, Gattis or Johnson will produce it might be a tough year.

The only certain items with the Braves I think is Kimbrel closing, Freddie Freeman producing and then Dan Uggla hitting .175.

Gattis being behind the plate full time does worry me a little bit. Especially with a young staff I don't know how good he can manage or call a game. Im not worried about hitting though.

We just need to bite the bullet on Dan Uggla and let him go.

Also Im not worried about our offense if we can start making a lot more productive outs. Too many times last year we struckout in crucial situation. The Long Balls will win you games, but in the playoffs base hits and productive outs is what it takes.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gattis being behind the plate full time does worry me a little bit. Especially with a young staff I don't know how good he can manage or call a game. Im not worried about hitting though.

We just need to bite the bullet on Dan Uggla and let him go.

Also Im not worried about our offense if we can start making a lot more productive outs. Too many times last year we struckout in crucial situation. The Long Balls will win you games, but in the playoffs base hits and productive outs is what it takes.

He was awful overall offensively from June to the end of the year, so there should be some potential concern for Gattis' offense.

April-May: .281 AVG, .952 OPS
June-Sept: .219 AVG, .653 OPS

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was awful overall offensively from June to the end of the year, so there should be some potential concern for Gattis' offense.

April-May: .281 AVG, .952 OPS
June-Sept: .219 AVG, .653 OPS

I think a lot of that is because of a June oblique strain.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good news for a catcher:suds:

Braves catcher Evan Gattis underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in October, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

"It should be fine," Gattis said Friday. "It’s just a matter of watching it. I ice both knees every day, just because. So they won’t get swollen or sore. It’s preventive. A routine to be able to play the next day."

Gattis had a bone chip removed that had been "floating around" since 2006. He hadn't caught back-to-back games this spring before doing so Wednesday and Thursday.

and from the mgr

We're only going to ask Evan Gattis to catch 100, 105 games and let Gerald Laird catch the rest," Gonzalez said.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of that is because of a June oblique strain.

Possibly, but then again he was starting to struggle before the injury...he was in the middle of a 2 for 26 slump before the injury.

A large part of it could also be that pitchers figured out how to pitch to him after his hot start....he's not a patient hitter (out of the 356 players with 200+ PA's in 2013, he was 342nd in pitches per plate appearance), and he strikes out a good deal, so maybe pitchers started to throw him more potential balls in the hopes that he would chase due to his lack of discipline....I haven't the seen pitch logs to him but it could very well play a significant part.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly, but then again he was starting to struggle before the injury...he was in the middle of a 2 for 26 slump before the injury.

A large part of it could also be that pitchers figured out how to pitch to him after his hot start....he's not a patient hitter (out of the 356 players with 200+ PA's in 2013, he was 342nd in pitches per plate appearance), and he strikes out a good deal, so maybe pitchers started to throw him more potential balls in the hopes that he would chase due to his lack of discipline....I haven't the seen pitch logs to him but it could very well play a significant part.

Actually I was about to say that. The last game I saw him live in Atlanta he struck out each time up and none were strikes. He chased a ton of high fast balls.

On a side note the Uptons were just as bad that game.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He went 9 for 26 after that.

All of that is certainly possible but his July and Sept/Oct numbers were very solid for a rookie. If they figured him out in June then they forgot about him as the summer wore on.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went 9 for 26 after that.

All of that is certainly possible but his July and Sept/Oct numbers were very solid for a rookie. If they figured him out in June then they forgot about him as the summer wore on.

He hit .263 with a .609 OPS in July...I don't think that's solid, even for rookie standards.

He did have a .780 OPS in Sept which were largely due to his power (since he had a .255 AVG and .270 OBP), but then again, he didn't exactly face a good crop of pitching that month...only 7 of his 25 games that month were vs teams that had an ERA league average or better, and 13 of those 25 games were vs teams that were in the bottom 5 in the NL in ERA.

I haven't looked at the game logs to see specifically which pitchers he faced, but given that he faced only 1 team in Sept that won more than 76 games (Nats), he could've been feasting off September callups and/or scrub pitchers on teams that for all we know had nothing to play for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hit .263 with a .609 OPS in July...I don't think that's solid, even for rookie standards.

He did have a .780 OPS in Sept which were largely due to his power (since he had a .255 AVG and .270 OBP), but then again, he didn't exactly face a good crop of pitching that month...only 7 of his 25 games that month were vs teams that had an ERA league average or better, and 13 of those 25 games were vs teams that were in the bottom 5 in the NL in ERA.

I haven't looked at the game logs to see specifically which pitchers he faced, but given that he faced only 1 team in Sept that won more than 76 games (Nats), he could've been feasting off September callups and/or scrub pitchers on teams that for all we know had nothing to play for.

It's a lower month but one that was part of a .771 OPS season. He'll be catching next season and I think most catchers will post a .600 OPS over a few weeks. I think it's also important that he missed 20-something games right smack in this down curve. That could be a big factor.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never underestimate DC sports and the pain and disappointment it will bring.

I think last year humbled the Nats. They bought in to all the World Series hype. They will be back hungry this year.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think last year humbled the Nats. They bought in to all the World Series hype. They will be back hungry this year.

They were injured. Their lineup struggled to score runs until after the ASB when they finally got healthy, but they were in too deep of a hole by then. Nats batted .241/.301/.385 (91 sOPS+ (split OPS+ relative to league's split OPS+)) and averaged around 3.76 runs per game in the 1st half. They batted .265/.329/.414 (109 sOPS+) and averaged around 4.46 runs per game in the 2nd half.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves cut Garcia. Weird, especially given their pitching situation.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash