• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brandon Browner cut

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was honestly one of the strangest career paths that I've ever seen

From stud in college, leaving way too early.

To going undrafted and getting injured.

To spending years in the CFL and being a fan favorite up there.

To coming back a pro bowler on the original Legion Of Boom.

To winning back-to-back Superbowls with 2 different teams.

To going to New Orleans and almost instantly is one of the worst corners in the NFL.

To being cut by the team that brought him back to prominence.

I honestly don't think that there has ever been a career quite like it. Flutie is the closest comparison I can think of.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To going to New Orleans and almost instantly is one of the worst corners in the NFL.

I honestly don't think that there has ever been a career quite like it. Flutie is the closest comparison I can think of.

He's done it all hasn't he ... I was kinda hoping he'd make the team, but Pete isn't very shy about giving people chances and cutting ties if it's just not there anymore..

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to watch him play here in the CFL. Bit of an arrogant SOB, but he was the #1 corner in the league for two seasons. Basically I think his whole career path was decided by injury. A testament to his will that he didn't let the injuries deter him. He was literally couch surfing in Calgary prior to locking down that job.

I remember when Seattle signed him out of the CFL, fans on a prior message board scoffing. I didn't predict his level of achievement in the NFL, but said people should watch out for him anyway. He was a freakish athlete.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the most unique players I've ever watched for the Hawks, and probably the biggest hitter as a CB I've ever seen for any team. Too bad he couldn't make yet another comeback.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The rise and fall of Brandon Browner...lol

Bottom line, he could never cover, but he was big and physical...could jam WRs at the line and when you keep help OTT you could live with him, much like SEA and NE did and NO didn't. but now the way the refs are calling PI...you can't hide a guy like that...teams will find and iso him.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bottom line, he could never cover, but he was big and physical...could jam WRs at the line and when you keep help OTT you could live with him, much like SEA and NE did and NO didn't. but now the way the refs are calling PI...you can't hide a guy like that...teams will find and iso him.

That's bullshvt. He COULD cover. He could cover in the CFL, where the field is the size of a Walmart parking lot. LATER after injuries, (during injuries really) he couldn't cover.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was never an elite cover guy, but he could cover. It didn't look the same as smaller defenders who lock hips with a receiver, he smothered them with his size and length.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked his time with the Pat's but the penalty's were an issue here.
Plus he was just a rental

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to watch him play here in the CFL. Bit of an arrogant SOB, but he was the #1 corner in the league for two seasons. Basically I think his whole career path was decided by injury. A testament to his will that he didn't let the injuries deter him. He was literally couch surfing in Calgary prior to locking down that job.

I remember when Seattle signed him out of the CFL, fans on a prior message board scoffing. I didn't predict his level of achievement in the NFL, but said people should watch out for him anyway. He was a freakish athlete.

I think he was CFL defensive player of the year with the Stampeders the year before he went to Seattle. He was definitely an effective (not outstanding) corner in the NFL. It helped a lot that he landed where he did surrounded by Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor. But he took waaaaaaay too many penalties for my liking. Big hitter though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's bullshvt. He COULD cover. He could cover in the CFL, where the field is the size of a Walmart parking lot. LATER after injuries, (during injuries really) he couldn't cover.

LOL...okay if you say so, but he couldn't cover in NE, or NO and obviously SEA 2.0.

So you're saying he could cover in the CFL and underneath two pro bowl safeties.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...okay if you say so, but he couldn't cover in NE, or NO and obviously SEA 2.0.

So you're saying he could cover in the CFL and underneath two pro bowl safeties.

<shrug> father time gets us all.

You said he couldn't cover. That's simply wrong. I'm just pointing it out. Even the best cover DB's get beat in the CFL. It's a passing league. He was the CFL's best corner for two seasons.

The reason that most top CFL corners don't transition to the NFL is because they're midgets. Browner wasn't a midget. On an excellent team in Calgary, filled with guys who could run, he was the fastest guy on the field. At 6'4".

His length and size was tailor made for the Seahawks, so yep, two pro bowl safeties AND Sherman playing across from him 'helped,' but that depends on how you look at it. He was ALSO therefore targeted all the time, as teams avoided Sherman.

He did what he was asked to do in that system, and did it well, albeit with penalties. Ask Seattle fans how well Cary Williams did stepping into that role.

He did what was asked of him in NE as well (albeit with too many penalties.)

He was the second most instrumental guy on the field that won them their latest ring (him and Bulter). He blew up Kearse who was supposed to easily pick off Butler. Butler's play doesn't happen without Browner again being a freakish athlete who made Kearse his biatch.

In NO, he was playing with an injury.

Father time.

Now he's done.

Point is however, he doesn't even PLAY pro football, at all, if he doesn't have the drive to come back from a horrific arm injury, and swallow his pride, and go north of the border to resurrect a career.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was never an elite cover guy, but he could cover. It didn't look the same as smaller defenders who lock hips with a receiver, he smothered them with his size and length.

I missed that window then. That said, his cover skills eroded quickly.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was CFL defensive player of the year with the Stampeders the year before he went to Seattle. He was definitely an effective (not outstanding) corner in the NFL. It helped a lot that he landed where he did surrounded by Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor. But he took waaaaaaay too many penalties for my liking. Big hitter though.

Okay, he wasn't an 'elite' NFL cornerback (ie: not Sherman or Revis or Peterson), but he WAS a pro-bowl alternate in 2012, ie: he did his job as asked about as well as possible.

And hell, even 'elite' NFL DB's have struggles, see Peterson, Patrick. Who can look all world one play and get burned badly another.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed that window then. That said, his cover skills eroded quickly.

Of course. As a 6'4" 200 + guy being asked to make plays in space, when the wheels fell off, they were going to fall off hard.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<shrug> father time gets us all.

You said he couldn't cover. That's simply wrong. I'm just pointing it out. Even the best cover DB's get beat in the CFL. It's a passing league. He was the CFL's best corner for two seasons.

The reason that most top CFL corners don't transition to the NFL is because they're midgets. Browner wasn't a midget. On an excellent team in Calgary, filled with guys who could run, he was the fastest guy on the field. At 6'4".

His length and size was tailor made for the Seahawks, so yep, two pro bowl safeties AND Sherman playing across from him 'helped,' but that depends on how you look at it. He was ALSO therefore targeted all the time, as teams avoided Sherman.

He did what he was asked to do in that system, and did it well, albeit with penalties. Ask Seattle fans how well Cary Williams did stepping into that role.

He did what was asked of him in NE as well (albeit with too many penalties.)

He was the second most instrumental guy on the field that won them their latest ring (him and Bulter). He blew up Kearse who was supposed to easily pick off Butler. Butler's play doesn't happen without Browner again being a freakish athlete who made Kearse his biatch.

In NO, he was playing with an injury.

Father time.

Now he's done.

Point is however, he doesn't even PLAY pro football, at all, if he doesn't have the drive to come back from a horrific arm injury, and swallow his pride, and go north of the border to resurrect a career.

I did say that, and from a person who saw him in SEA 1.0 a whole lot more than me...I'm standing corrected.