• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brainstorm Tread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was mostly in jest.

Would you consider any change in ball color so the fans could see it better.
Changing the color of the ball would really affect the batter/pitcher dynamic. Particularly if you make the seams “pop”. Breaking balls will be much easier to identify if the seams are highlighted.

Is making the ball more visible to the fans really an issue that needs to be fixed?

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changing the color of the ball would really affect the batter/pitcher dynamic. Particularly if you make the seams “pop”. Breaking balls will be much easier to identify if the seams are highlighted.

Is making the ball more visible to the fans really an issue that needs to be fixed?

You're right about the breaking balls.
That's why I brought it up...to help the batters and generate more offense.

I'm not 100% on the ball color change but I wonder if the fan experience watching online/phones/TV might be improved.
Long time ago I played some softball tourneys with a yellow ball and I didn't see a downside.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not 100% on the ball color change but I wonder if the fan experience watching online/phones/TV might be improved.
Long time ago I played some softball tourneys with a yellow ball and I didn't see a downside.
After the offensive breakout from last season? No need to assist the offense just yet

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t know how high a level of softball you played. But it doesn’t matter. It wasn’t MLB level. Changing the color of the ball to make it more visible would have a HUGE affect on the game.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PED use should be encouraged.

Every base runner’s goal should ultimately be to kill the catcher, or middle infielder.

If brawls are gonna be used to market the game, those involved in brawls should not be punished

And Manfred’s head should be on a pike, then a bronze bust of that should be the new World Series trophy

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kapler would just use that time in the cage to hug the umpire.

Talk about awkward…
If I were a higher up with the Giants, he’d be wearing batting gloves to cover up that stupid hand tattoo

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the tat represent the love he has for his father.

it is beautiful…
I’m not big on tattoos in general. I think Acuna should have to wear a turtle neck to cover up that stupid neck tattoo he got during the 2019-2020 off-season

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not big on tattoos in general. I think Acuna should have to wear a turtle neck to cover up that stupid neck tattoo he got during the 2019-2020 off-season
How about Molina and his faded neck tats?

Gotta say, though, I LOVE the MLB tat that Biaz has at the base of his neck (on his back).

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Molina and his faded neck tats?

Gotta say, though, I LOVE the MLB tat that Biaz has at the base of his neck (on his back).
Molina’s is the second trashiest, second only to Arodis Chapman’s.

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know how high a level of softball you played. But it doesn’t matter. It wasn’t MLB level. Changing the color of the ball to make it more visible would have a HUGE affect on the game.

Here's the only article I could find on previous use of colored balls.
They didn't adopt the yellow ball with red stitching but I don't think it was considered a huge change.

In 1938, newspapers across the country published eye-catching reports of the big leagues exploring the use of a yellow baseball instead of the conventional white. The Brooklyn Dodgers, led by the dynamic and innovative mind of front office executive Larry MacPhail, were at the forefront of this novel move.

According to The New York Times, “A majority of the players and fans were in favor of the yellow ball, voicing the opinion that it could be followed in flight much better.”

“We haven’t any opinion for or against the yellow ball,” he said. “However, most players with whom I have talked with think the yellow ball might prevent accidents like the one that ended Mickey Cochrane’s playing career.”(MazPhail)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't adopt the yellow ball with red stitching but I don't think it was considered a huge change.

In 1938, newspapers across the country published eye-catching reports of the big leagues exploring the use of a yellow baseball instead of the conventional white. The Brooklyn Dodgers, led by the dynamic and innovative mind of front office executive Larry MacPhail, were at the forefront of this novel move.

According to The New York Times, “A majority of the players and fans were in favor of the yellow ball, voicing the opinion that it could be followed in flight much better.”

“We haven’t any opinion for or against the yellow ball,” he said. “However, most players with whom I have talked with think the yellow ball might prevent accidents like the one that ended Mickey Cochrane’s playing career.”(MazPhail)
Whatever the argument, we need to keep the colored out of baseball!!

I am talking about those damned colored balls. What did you think I was talking about?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously, though…

in 1938, they had zero video of the pitchers and zero analytics studying spin rates etc. while I suspect changing the color of the ball in 1938 would still have an effect, I wouldn’t compare that effect to what would be seen if this change were implemented today.

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect colored balls to help collective batting averages.
I don't think we need more HRs but I would like to see generally higher batting averages.
We are near historic lows and its kinda boring.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect colored balls to help collective batting averages.
I don't think we need more HRs but I would like to see generally higher batting averages.
We are near historic lows and its kinda boring.

The drop in BA is due to analytics. The numbers say swinging for the fences in EVERY AB and on EVERY pitch leads to more runs scored. There is still value in OBP, but that is achieved through getting walks instead of getting base hits.

Basically, analytics is killing the game. It has dissected it to the point where the patient is dead.

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The drop in BA is due to analytics. The numbers say swinging for the fences in EVERY AB and on EVERY pitch leads to more runs scored. There is still value in OBP, but that is achieved through getting walks instead of getting base hits.

Basically, analytics is killing the game. It has dissected it to the point where the patient is dead.

So maybe we make the analytics not say 'swing for the fences' quite as much by...

---Deadening the ball more to decrease homeruns
---Possibly raise or move the walls back a bit
(But that hurts hitters, which we counter by...)
---lowering the mound
---moving mound back
---making ball stitches more visible
(all of which should increase BAs)

The hoped for result would be more singles and doubles and less homeruns.
Which means more emphasis on baserunning, strategy, fundamentals.

Every sport has to adapt as time goes by.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So maybe we make the analytics not say 'swing for the fences' quite as much by...

---Deadening the ball more to decrease homeruns
---Possibly raise or move the walls back a bit
(But that hurts hitters, which we counter by...)
---lowering the mound
---moving mound back
---making ball stitches more visible
(all of which should increase BAs)

The hoped for result would be more singles and doubles and less homeruns.
Which means more emphasis on baserunning, strategy, fundamentals.

Every sport has to adapt as time goes by.
I think a lot of this is already being done in a quiet way. All teams are using a humidor this year, based on local conditions, to attempt to normalize the locales. Arizona, for example, went from being one of the most homer-friendly parks in the league in seasons past to being one of the most homer-suppressive parks this year. That is likely due to the use of the humidor. And last year’s home run bonanza that was experienced league wide was likely due to the league playing with the weight, density and smoothness of the balls used in play.

My point here is that 1) making any seemingly small change can drastically change the “numbers” in the game, and those numbers are almost impossible to predict; and 2) there are other ways to adjust that would not be nearly as “loud” as to change the mound or use neon balls.

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well its rare that I find a thread where the OP invites me to make stupid suggestions.

That's right up my alley and I felt at one with the internet.

#morethreadslikethis

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well its rare that I find a thread where the OP invites me to make stupid suggestions.

That's right up my alley and I felt at one with the internet.

#morethreadslikethis
Seriously, that is the point of brainstorming. I love brainstorming. And if you invite people to propose ideas that even they don’t like, it removes the ego from defending the idea. But maybe there is a morsel of an idea burried in there than can be cultivated.