• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BP's contract beef

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reds probably didn't need the distraction.
Votto handled it with maturity, but it should never have been an issue.
When does Phillips learn to not screw up the soup?

Y! SPORTS

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard about this. Votto handled it very well saying stuff like "Thats why I like him so much" some are saying he was being sarcastic, which he might have beeen. But either way I dont think its gonna be a big deal. Brandon said on twitter "#Always10024/7".

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's already not a big deal with the fans, I suppose. The point is, why gamble on that? There's no need to even discuss it or introduce it to conversation in the middle of a frustrating pennant race. Discuss it in December if it's a big deal, which it either was at the time or not.

He claims Castellini lied to him about not having the budget. The whole world knew the Reds wanted Votto to take a lifetime deal. He's that much younger than Phillips to assume that BP got a lifetimer too ... I just think BP ought to give some thought to the timing of his snarly comments. The WLB comment still haunts him. The Parrots are still pissed he called them racists ... then he pretends that "all's good" ... he's "just being honest."

Fine, be honest ... just do it when the team isn't trying to get out of third place.

smokerch15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love BP. That said, shut up and play ball...

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody held a gun to Phillips head and made him take what at the time, was an ELITE 2b contract. I think Phillips is a great player, but just not as good as he thinks hes worth. He's hit 30 HR once. Hes had 30 Sb once. He's hit .300 how many times ? He has a lifetime BA about 25 points less than Votto, and last time I checked, he's never been MVP. He's got 3 gold gloves. If he thought he deserved $200 mil, he should have tried to go find it elsewhere. No offense, but 1b last longer as impact hitters than middle infielders not named Jeter or Ripken. Post PED, odds are BP is due for decline before his deal is over, and at that time, Votto may still have 3-5 years left that people aren't saying hes overpaid.

Phillips may be honest, but he's also a dumbass that needs to think before he shoots his mouth off. His timing sucks, for sure. This team is one that starves for sound leadership, and it's teetering on the brink of blowing another post season capable roster for the ease of excuses. The Reds gave Phillips a chance, after a few other organizations were ready to make him the biggest star working at the car wash, and allowed him to become someone that gets $72.5 million contracts. He isn't Joey Votto, but he needs to be ok with being Brandon Phillips, and not make it sound like its someone else's fault he's not.

Cincy the Red

It all starts with heart.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard this a couple days on 97.1 "The Fan" driving home from work. BP needs to hush up given he plays right beside Votto. Both guys got their "props" in compensation and truth be known, which would you rather have? It's not even a question.....besides, the going rate for a 1st baseman of Votto's skill-level was dictated by Albert's mega deal....it had to be done. Not sure what BP is crying about....he is making millions now and paid right there with the best 2nd basemen around. Typically he is more "politically correct" when he speaks....this time he opened his mouth and inserted his foot. Nobody made him sign that deal, but he knows (just as we do) that's a crap load of money.....and he gets to play for a contender ta boot.

When you start making that kind of money it should be about Championships not "equal" compensation and he should be thrilled as hell the Reds are breaking the bank for once to keep this team together as long as possible. And he should feel equally as fortunate, that the Reds "powers that be" saw him as one to also break the bank on. In order to compete, we gotta keep more than just BP around for awhile....he should know that.

Love the kid, but that comment was just plain silly.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you start making that kind of money it should be about Championships not "equal" compensation

As I can see it, we'd be no worse than 4th if we didn't have BP and 4th really isn't a whole lot worse than 3rd at this point in the season.