• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Box Office 2014

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually haven't seen Broken Trail. I've been wanting to, but just haven't got around to it yet.

I have over 70 westerns on DVD. Watch that one! Also all the Tom Selleck Louis L'Amour westerns. All are solid 10's.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are killing me with all the old westerns. I now have a craving to spend this weekend watching a marathon of westerns instead of doing some projects around the house.

The Westerns Channel is the best value in entertainment. :2cents:

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are killing me with all the old westerns. I now have a craving to spend this weekend watching a marathon of westerns instead of doing some projects around the house.

Hahahaha !

Do your projects, get a 24 pack or a min keg and chill out at the end of the day to some

Pekinpah:

[YOUTUBE]qZ2Vcfb-w_Y[/YOUTUBE]

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it basically just comes down to the fact that the movies this summer were just not that good. A lot of pretty average stuff that just wasn't worth spending the money on. I guess that's my opinion, but look at the major releases this summer.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Looked cheesy, didn't see it because the first one was just laughably bad. The only reason these movies are even being made is so Sony can keep the rights to Spiderman.

Neighbors- Looked like your standard Seth Rogan movie that we've seen a million times before. Might be decent enough, but I'm not spending $10 to go see it.

Godzilla - Actually saw this one. Pretty much a perfect summer movie. Really enjoyed it.

X-Men: Days of Future Past - Again, saw it. Probably the best X-Men movie yet. A breath of fresh air after The Wolverine which was pretty mediocre.

Maleficent- Didn't look bad, but again not worth shelling out $10 for.

Edge of Tomorrow- Saw this one too. It's pretty much your basic Tom Cruise Sci-Fi flick. Not great, but not bad by any means. Worth a watch, but probably not $10.

22 Jump Street- Surprisingly good sequel. Very self-aware film.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Liked the first one, couldn't justify spending $10 to see the sequel though. This is really looked like a renter unless you have young kids.

Transformers 4- Michael Bay. That's all you need to know.

Dawn of the Rise of the Planet of the Apes 2: Electric Bugaloo - I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought the first one was plot-hole ridden pile of crap. Was not interested at in the sequel.

Sex Tape - Meh.

The Purge 2 - First one looked absolutely stupid. Could not justify seeing this.

Hercules - Just another stereotypical ancient times war movie. Meh.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Looks good, will be seeing it.

TMNT - See Transformers 4.

Expendables 3 - Haven't see any of the others, but they might be entertaining. Again, probably not worth $10.

$10 is pretty much a minimal price here too. That's pretty average for where I am, but I know prices are closer to $15 in a lot of places. Then you have to spend another $10 if you want food and a drink. It's just not worth it, but again that's just my opinion.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summer box-office slump: Is Hollywood losing America? | Inside Movies | EW.com

The most recent weekend, which witnessed Dawn of the Planet of the Apes repeat as the top movie, was trailing the same weekend last year by almost 25 percent. July is down more than 30 percent year-to-year, and the summer as a whole is down almost 19 percent from last year.....

Comparing 24 major releases from 2013—ranging from The Great Gatsby to R.I.P.D.—to 23 of this year’s films, opening-night audiences preferred last year’s slate… but just barely. Crunching the letter grades into a collegiate GPA, last year’s films scored a 3.45; this year’s movies graded out at 3.44. Critics, on the other hand, came down on the side of 2014, which scored an average Metacritic rating of 53.8, more than two points higher than last year’s crop of blockbusters.

So, moviegoers like the product just as much when they go, and critics actually like the new product even better. Yet here we are on July 21, with the summer down double-digits and Guardians of the Galaxy the industry’s last great hope to salvage the season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So are we looking at a downward trend, a trend away from Americans being the target audience or just a one year hiccup?

Guardians of the Galaxy is not going to save the summer season. As a matter of fact, the top movie box office wise this year is Captain America.

It just seems like all the previews look the same. I've seen some good movies this year, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Boyhood, Chef and maybe one or two others, but nothing really great. Saw a great performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman in A Most Wanted Man, but the pic was very long.

Nothing really new that captured the public's eye has come along this summer. Spiderman was just awful. They need a new actor for Spiderman, because this guy won't make it. Endless fire breathing dragons and werewolves are getting rather commonplace.

I didn't predict this, but am still disappointed.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fives I recommended with RT Critic and Public Fresh %:

The Lego Movie (96%, 88%)
X-Men: DOFP (92%, 93%)
22 Jump Street (85%, 85%)
Dawn of POA (91%, 92%)
Edge of Tomorrow (90%, 91%)

Dismissing these as bad or unoriginal movies without watching them just doesn't make sense. Nearly everyone that watches them loves them. Captain America is the top grossing movie, and while I was in the heavy minority, it was (89%, 94%). So people have loved the popular movies this year. The problem is something other than movie quality.

Captain America 2 was probably the best movie this year. Box office numbers are probably a little skewed since there was nothing else even remotely as good coming out when it did, but that was possibly the best Marvel movie to date. Plus the events in that film bled over into Agents of SHIELD and actually made the show watchable.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can spend an entire weekend on just the spaghetti westerns. :nod:

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And honestly, there have been tons of solid to good movies recently. Just looking at a list of top 20 highest grossing movies this year, I felt I got my money's worth out of:

#2 The LEGO Movie
#5 X-Men: Days of Future Past

#6 The Amazing Spiderman 2
#7 Godzilla
#8 22 Jump Street
#9 Dawn Of The Planet of the Apes

#10 How To Train Your Dragon 2
#12 Neighbors
#19 Edge of Tomorrow

The boldeds are legitimately great movies that shouldn't be missed. It amazes me that none of those movies grossed $1 per American. I feel like everybody should have seen these movies, and yet less than 10% of Americans paid to see any of them. I don't get it.

Not very good as a group. Spiderman was awful. 22 Jump Street is for fraternity boys and the immature 20's crowd. Same with 22 Jump Street. Neighbors was so bad it was an embarrassment to be in the theatre.

Godzilla and Edge of Tomorrow were decent, not great, but entertaining. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is one of the 2 best pictures I've seen this year. Did not see the rest on your list.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I avoid theaters because so many people smell so bad, and so few wash their hands.

Most of the good summer movies I don't mind waiting to see on bluray.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I'm thinking the only movie that will likely take over the top spot for the year from Capt America is The Hunger Games. Only other one that might have a chance is Interstellar. Not sure how Guardians of the Galaxy is going to do.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate going to the theater. I'd much rather wait and watch at home where the only annoying kids are related to me and I can kick them out if they sit in my chair.