• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowman vs Kuechly

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Bowman and Kuechly played different roles in their defense. Trying to compare numbers and say "see this guy is better because his numbers are better" is not looking at the big picture. One played in a 4-3 while the other played in a 3-4 just for starters.

Now I do agree Bowman should have been in the discussion but I don't disagree with Kuechly getting the award either. I wouldn't have been upset if any of the top 5 guys won it as this year above any other in recent memory was a tough one to make a clear choice. Last year was so easy with Watt just dominating like we haven't seen in a while but this year I think the list could have been 8 people long and all could have made a case for the award.

Their roles really arent that different , Bowman is often used to cover TE's just like Keuchly and rush the passer on occasion as well as mop up duty on run plays, the reason Bowman has so many more solo tackles is probably more because of the scheme then anything else. In summary, you'll see the 49ers run a mix of 3-4 and 4-3 under fronts based on the team, formation and specific offensive players on the field.