• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowl predictions

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing predictions all over the place for PSU....everything from a New Year six bowl Peach/Fiesta vs LSU/Florida/UCF/WVU to Citrus/Outback vs an SEC team to the one I'd consider least likely because no way we slide that far if we win out....taxslayer bowl.

I'd rather line up with Florida in Peach out of the scenarios I have seen so far

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lose in the "Who cares because its not the playoffs or New Years' Six Bowl" failing to get the participation trophy from playing in a meaningless bowl game.

Beyond the extra practices that a bowl grants I really don't care about bowls in the Playoff era.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lose in the "Who cares because its not the playoffs or New Years' Six Bowl" failing to get the participation trophy from playing in a meaningless bowl game.

Beyond the extra practices that a bowl grants I really don't care about bowls in the Playoff era.

Considering that only 4 teams get into the playoff every year, I would say this is a pretty shitty way to view the situation. NY6 Bowls are still a great achievement for a program and PSU has a pretty good shot of making it to 3 in a row. That's no small accomplishment.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that only 4 teams get into the playoff every year, I would say this is a pretty shitty way to view the situation. NY6 Bowls are still a great achievement for a program and PSU has a pretty good shot of making it to 3 in a row. That's no small accomplishment.

yeah, I'd be pretty happy to end up with 3 10+ win seasons in a row and a 3rd consecutive NY6 appearance.

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80 teams go to bowl games, I view them as participation trophies if it isn't the playoffs anymore.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to back to back 10 win seasons is pretty damned strong.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80 teams go to bowl games, I view them as participation trophies if it isn't the playoffs anymore.

If PSU was projected to go to the Gasparilla Bowl or some other lower tier bowl I would agree with you but they’re not. NY6 Bowls are reserved for the top 15-20 teams in the country and PSU has a chance to get to 3 in a row. There are 125 teams in the FCS, being seen as one of the best 15-30 is a huge accomplishment. If you expect nothing but playoffs every year, you’re gonna be extremely disappointed my friend. There are probably 2 programs max right now that can realistically expect playoffs every year and that’s Alabama and Clemson.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we were 6-6 going to the quick lane bowl in Detroit, I might agree. We would be going to a top tier bowl with a shot at 3 consecutive 10 win seasons for first time since 1982 though

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If PSU was projected to go to the Gasparilla Bowl or some other lower tier bowl I would agree with you but they’re not. NY6 Bowls are reserved for the top 15-20 teams in the country and PSU has a chance to get to 3 in a row. There are 125 teams in the FCS, being seen as one of the best 15-30 is a huge accomplishment. If you expect nothing but playoffs every year, you’re gonna be extremely disappointed my friend. There are probably 2 programs max right now that can realistically expect playoffs every year and that’s Alabama and Clemson.
I don't expect playoff appearances every year, especially with it only being 4 teams at present. Presntly all I want is for us to be in the running and in the BigTen championships conversation.

That said, I really want the bowl system to just die so a 12-16 team playoff can take its place even if that means removing some pre-season/creampuff non-conference games from schedules to get the NCAA to agree to allow that many potential games to be played by a team. If they would have kept bowls to just ranked teams I'd be ok with it but not the current situation that allows for over half of the teams to make a bowl game.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect playoff appearances every year, especially with it only being 4 teams at present. Presntly all I want is for us to be in the running and in the BigTen championships conversation.

That said, I really want the bowl system to just die so a 12-16 team playoff can take its place even if that means removing some pre-season/creampuff non-conference games from schedules to get the NCAA to agree to allow that many potential games to be played by a team. If they would have kept bowls to just ranked teams I'd be ok with it but not the current situation that allows for over half of the teams to make a bowl game.

You would need to incorporate current bowl system into a playoff. No way those teams who should be nowhere near a bowl with 6-6 records are letting go of that free month of practice, that horse is out of the barn.

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would need to incorporate current bowl system into a playoff.
Not seeing how this is a problem given how the current playoffs did it.

No way those teams who should be nowhere near a bowl with 6-6 records are letting go of that free month of practice, that horse is out of the barn.
I think its a bit naive to think they couldn't come to some sort of agreement on this, be it letting all teams have a post-season practice period (basically do as it is) or an extended spring/summer training period to compensate.