• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boone and Davis

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Boone is the penciled in starter at RG, Davis RT.

But their body types and strengths suggest the two should swap.

What do you guys think?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

What do you guys think?

Disagree. Davis is a much better tackle than Boone. Boone's a little tall to play guard, but the other interior OL the Niners have are rooks, so of course Boone is going to get the start right away.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What do you guys think?

I also disagree. Davis is more experienced and more technically sound at the position. I do worry about Boone's height and how that will play out with regard to leverage, telegraphing and protecting, and I can even see a future where Davis is at LT and Boone is at RT, but right now I think this will be the most productive alignment.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
agree with the subsequest comments, we want Davis to progress at OT so leave him there. Boone is just the best temporary short term fix we have at RG.

we'll want Looney or other OG to eventually take over soon as capable. it might be later this season and if not, i'd think next off season.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree with the subsequest comments, we want Davis to progress at OT so leave him there. Boone is just the best temporary short term fix we have at RG.

we'll want Looney or other OG to eventually take over soon as capable. it might be later this season and if not, i'd think next off season.

Why would we want Looney or some other OG to "eventually" take over? The last thing we want is a revolving door O'Line - What we want is for Boone to seal the deal at RG and stay there - if he can't then fine...

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You mean Slowey? Or was it Dopey or Doc?

It's a conspiracy.. The Niners intend to have an OL with the last syllable of their last name to have the "ee" sound... Right now they have Staley and Iupati.. Next they'll put Looney at RG and Slowey at RT. Then they will draft Sam Robey from Florida to play center... It is a plot to baffle all play by play announcers .. bwahahahaha ( imitated evil laughter)... Of course we should not forget who is the master mind of the plot.. Trent Baalke

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why would we want Looney or some other OG to "eventually" take over? The last thing we want is a revolving door O'Line - What we want is for Boone to seal the deal at RG and stay there - if he can't then fine...

ok, he can stay there as long as he's the best RG we have. i think that'll hurt him a little when we need him back at OT, cause odds are Staley and Davis will miss game time. IMO we need the best OT's on the field, more so than at OG.

i eventually want a 'natural' OG to become our starting RG, thats the reason we draft OG's like Looney, we project he has a higher ceiling at OG.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, he can stay there as long as he's the best RG we have. i think that'll hurt him a little when we need him back at OT, cause odds are Staley and Davis will miss game time. IMO we need the best OT's on the field, more so than at OG.

i eventually want a 'natural' OG to become our starting RG, thats the reason we draft OG's like Looney, we project he has a higher ceiling at OG.

Okay, I see where you are coming from now. For me, I want the best unit over having the best individual players - unless, of course, the best individual players also make up the best unit, which is not always the case. As an example, I'll take a OG with excellent instincts over one with excellent technique just about every time.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

A few thoughts. First, having a good starting RG is more important than a slightly better backup OT. A viable backup OT is important, but Boone will still be viable even if he loses a little something by working at OG.

Second, who's to say that Boone isn't a natural OG? Sure, the prototype OG is probably 6'5" or so, but Leonard Davis and Robert Gallery are both guys who looked like prototype OTs but turned into very good OGs. Gallery in particular is worth noting, as he's only an eighth of an inch shorter than Boone. And Boone was quite a bit stronger at the combine, at least in terms of bench reps (33 vs. 24). I think there's a chance Boone does quite well at OG, so let's at least see what he has to offer before we make a decision one way or the other.

In some ways, the best-case scenario would be for Boone to find a place at RG, Kilgore to step in at C, and the rest as they are now. That'd give us an OL signed through 2014.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"When news broke this offseason that the 49ers planned to convert backup tackle Alex Boone to RG, it was expected he would take part in a fierce competition for the starting job. Now, it's questionable whether there will even be a competition during training camp. Boone made a relatively seamless transition from his role as the 49ers' backup tackle on both sides. In the offseason, he showed plenty of promise as he adapted to his new assignments, stance and technique. If he can keep it going when the pads go on, Boone will undoubtedly be the starting right guard to open the season. The 49ers will suit up 7 OL among the 46 players allowed to be in uniform for regular-season games. Kilgore appears to be in line to be the top backup. Kilgore could fill the role as the backup at C and both G positions. If a replacement tackle were needed, Boone could take on that responsibility with Kilgore filling in at RG"