• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but that’s what the rest of the band wanted. They wanted the feel of the band and they wanted Freddy in the best light possible. Other people tried to make more honest movies about Queen and Freddy but the band has always protected their image and him. The producers wanted to end with Live Aid for obvious reasons, so a bunch of things that happened later had to be put before that. Also they simplified a lot of stuff for time reasons. They didn’t want to show a lot of the darker side of things
Well put.

As I said IMO it was more a biography and had it been presented like the cool.

Mehh no sense carrying on some liked it other were torn it happens with most movies

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was an enjoyable but flawed movie. More like an extended music video than an actual movie.

It played very fast and loose with history as well.
To be fair, thats every history movie, but it feels less justifiable in more modern history.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent movie, but too much about Freddie Mercury being a Queen

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but that’s what the rest of the band wanted. They wanted the feel of the band and they wanted Freddy in the best light possible. Other people tried to make more honest movies about Queen and Freddy but the band has always protected their image and him. The producers wanted to end with Live Aid for obvious reasons, so a bunch of things that happened later had to be put before that. Also they simplified a lot of stuff for time reasons. They didn’t want to show a lot of the darker side of things

I get all that. And I get that they had to create strife that didn't really exist.

But just because the band wanted to white wash the history, doesn't mean the movie shouldn't be criticized for it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, thats every history movie, but it feels less justifiable in more modern history.

To some extent this is certainly true.

But take a look at a movie like Patton. The big criticisms of that film are things like "They used American tanks as German tanks!" and such. The movie itself tried to be as true as possible to history.

All films will need some embellishments to make them watchable. But that doesn't mean they need to reinvent history. The Imitation Game was so egregious in rewriting history it really took away from the film.

Ultimately, I think my biggest issue with this film is that Rami Malek is likely going to win Best Actor and probably gave the 3rd or 4th best performance of the people nominated. Bradley Cooper blew the doors off Malek in Star is Born.

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But take a look at a movie like Patton. The big criticisms of that film are things like "They used American tanks as German tanks!" and such. The movie itself tried to be as true as possible to history.

All films will need some embellishments to make them watchable. But that doesn't mean they need to reinvent history. The Imitation Game was so egregious in rewriting history it really took away from the film.

Ultimately, I think my biggest issue with this film is that Rami Malek is likely going to win Best Actor and probably gave the 3rd or 4th best performance of the people nominated. Bradley Cooper blew the doors off Malek in Star is Born.
Agreed. Imitation Game might as well have been fiction.

Yeah, I must admit, I agree with you in that I think he does win it. Sadly, when it comes to best actor and actress, 9 years out of 10, the winner doesn't deserve it.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get all that. And I get that they had to create strife that didn't really exist.

But just because the band wanted to white wash the history, doesn't mean the movie shouldn't be criticized for it.
I agree. There are other movies that take a “more real” view of the band and Freddie. This was done be a feel good movie. Based on a true story doesn’t mean it is all fact. People sometimes forget that some movies are meant to entertain

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Imitation Game might as well have been fiction.

Yeah, I must admit, I agree with you in that I think he does win it. Sadly, when it comes to best actor and actress, 9 years out of 10, the winner doesn't deserve it.
I still can’t believe Hanks didn’t win for Castaway. Not that Crowe did a bad job. I actually loved him in Gladiator. But Hanks’ work in Castaway is, imho, the greatest acting work ever.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The voters on the awards are a joke. My wife has a friend that has limited voting rights; not every award but all the big ones. He gets copies of the movies he can vote on. It costs a lot to be a member. How did he gets this? He writes and programs video games. That got him in years ago. Now he takes it very seriously but I don’t know if everyone else does. This has always been a popularity contest. Let’s give ourselves awards to create a story so people will go see movies.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The voters on the awards are a joke. My wife has a friend that has limited voting rights; not every award but all the big ones. He gets copies of the movies he can vote on. It costs a lot to be a member. How did he gets this? He writes and programs video games. That got him in years ago. Now he takes it very seriously but I don’t know if everyone else does. This has always been a popularity contest. Let’s give ourselves awards to create a story so people will go see movies.

Yeah. Apparently Glen Close is almost certainly going to win Best Actress this year for a thoroughly uninteresting role in The Wife.

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can’t believe Hanks didn’t win for Castaway. Not that Crowe did a bad job. I actually loved him in Gladiator. But Hanks’ work in Castaway is, imho, the greatest acting work ever.
He made us weep for a volleyball. Outstanding acting.

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freddie Mercury was much bigger than Queen but at the same time this is only the case because of Queen. Thats basically the whole thrust of the movie.

Nailed it.