• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bogut's injuries

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bogut's being brought back slowly

This to me sounds like really bad news - like there is something that we are not being told about his injury. Although there are a lot of encouraging signs, we as Warrior fans have all too often been stung by the injury bug to important players to not be a little skeptical.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This to me sounds like really bad news - like there is something that we are not being told about his injury. Although there are a lot of encouraging signs, we as Warrior fans have all too often been stung by the injury bug to important players to not be a little skeptical.

We'll see. He sounded in very good spirits in a radio interview I just heard a few days ago on KNBR. That said, Warrior fans have every reason to feel pessimistic.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't fret, Cam. They've still got AB! ;)

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't fret, Cam. They've still got AB! ;)

LMAO.

I realize it's just pre-season, but from what I saw, I really like Ezeli. That kid can flat out ball. He is not ever going to be an elite scorer, but with Curry and Thompson and Barnes and Lee and Rush, he doesn't need to be. He plays defense like his life depends on it and he really makes his presence felt. He's Biedrins with a sack.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogut practiced in full today and Barnes was named the starting SF. Things are looking up.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah! Can't wait for tomorrow. For the first Halloween in awhile, dressing up like a fan of a playoff-caliber basketball team won't be a costume!

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta say I like what you team has done.
Alot of nice vets and some really good young talent.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Bogut to get the Yao treatment the first two weeks of the season, until he shows he's fully capable of playing major minutes. I would expect them to play him the first 7 minutes of the game, and last 5 or 6 of the 2nd quarter. They should limit him to 24-28 minutes a game in the beginning until he gets his rhythm, timing and stamina back.

Barnes I expect him to get a short leash. He seems very polished from the short bits I've watched of him, and don't see him getting pulled very often for dumb mistakes. I do think that he's the most likely candidate to be replaced by a hot hand off the bench though. Especially if Rush plays as well as he did last year, it's going to be tough to keep him off the floor in the crunch time. Jackson already loves Rush and subsequently Barnes will likely see the bench most 4th quarters.

That being said, can't wait till tomorrow's game. Expectations are high this year for a change.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From the sounds of it, 7-10 days is a VERY conservative estimate.

It could be much longer

OAKLAND -- Warriors center Andrew Bogut simply couldn't take being limited anymore. So on Thursday the decision was made to shut him down for a period of time the team hopes will be only seven to 10 days.

"I feel like I'm a liability out there," said Bogut, who initially broke his left ankle in January while playing for the Milwaukee Bucks. "I can't rebound, I can't move the way I like to move."

Bogut will not play Friday night at the Los Angeles Lakers. He will be out for Saturday's game against visiting Denver and Wednesday's home game against Atlanta. Bogut also could miss the ensuing three-game road trip to Minnesota, Oklahoma City and Dallas.

Rookie center Festus Ezeli will start in his place.

Golden State coach Mark Jackson said it wasn't a setback, that the Warriors simply were giving Bogut time to strengthen his ankle. He said even when Bogut gets back, he still will be limited. Will seven to 10 days be enough?

"I would hope that's it," Jackson said. "But like everything else, it's going to be wait and see. This is a process. Ultimately we're going to stay true to the process, listening to his body and make decisions based on that. ...

"He doesn't feel like he's 100 percent. He's clearly not. He's going to experience some pain as part of the process, and he's not going to be the Andrew Bogut we know and appreciate right away. And it's frustrating at times."

Bogut said he might have come back too early, trying to "be a hero." He played in the season opener on Halloween despite having just two full practices under his belt since having arthroscopic surgery in April. He has played in four of the team's five games, averaging 18.3 minutes, 6.0 points and 3.8 rebounds.

Bogut said in hindsight, he should have waited until his ankle was completely healed. He's still having to deal with some pain and soreness. He's also dealing with occasional swelling, which he said is a sign that something is wrong and an area "I probably haven't managed as well."

But the biggest thing for Bogut is what he can't do on the court. He said he can't push off his left ankle, which impacts his rebounding, his ability to block shots and dive for loose balls. He just doesn't have the confidence in his wheel, and he doesn't like how he is playing.

"I just don't feel like I can get that explosiveness off my ankle that I'd like," he said. "I don't want it to be a situation where I'm taking away from my teammates who are probably playing better than me at the moment."

Bogut said he, the doctors and athletic trainers concluded that his ankle wouldn't get better as long as he was playing. During this shutdown, he said he will undergo "rigorous" strength training on the ankle.

He said when he comes back, he wants to be able to move around with confidence and push off. He said he wants to be strong enough to play more than 20 minutes, which has been his limit the first week of the season.

That could take five days or it could take three weeks. One certainty: A different course of action was needed.

"It's tough," Bogut said. "Even off the floor because it just weighs on my mind. I know a lot of people are expecting me to be what I'm supposed to be. It hasn't come to that yet. It's going to take me a while to come to the top of my game."

Bolding was done by me for emphasis on certain points.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, can't the Warriors ever get a decent big man who stays healthy?

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swelling? Good grief, that essentially indicates he shouldn't be anywhere near a basketball court. I'm actually glad the W's are shutting him down, and from the looks of things, he's out for at least a month IMHO.

After watching tonight's game, the W's really need some presence in the middle as the Hawks were attacking the interior at will. As much as David Lee scores, he gives up almost the same number of points to the opposition - his "help" defense is pretty pathetic at best. Bogut was supposed to erase those mistakes created by our guards and Lee, but at this point it's best to rest for him and that crappy ankle of his.

Good thing is, Barnes looked solid (although he needs to have more confidence in beating his man off the dribble - that'll come with time) and the guard play on defense was better than last year's play, although offensively, neither Curry nor Klay have looked that impressive this year.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swelling? Good grief, that essentially indicates he shouldn't be anywhere near a basketball court. I'm actually glad the W's are shutting him down, and from the looks of things, he's out for at least a month IMHO.

After watching tonight's game, the W's really need some presence in the middle as the Hawks were attacking the interior at will. As much as David Lee scores, he gives up almost the same number of points to the opposition - his "help" defense is pretty pathetic at best. Bogut was supposed to erase those mistakes created by our guards and Lee, but at this point it's best to rest for him and that crappy ankle of his.

Good thing is, Barnes looked solid (although he needs to have more confidence in beating his man off the dribble - that'll come with time) and the guard play on defense was better than last year's play, although offensively, neither Curry nor Klay have looked that impressive this year.

All very true. My hope is that at some point in his career with the Dubs, Barnes becomes a point forward, so Curry and Klay can both work off the ball. That suits both of them. Obviously, it's way too soon in his development, but it's an idea for year three. I don't know if MJ is interested in that, though. He seems to like his traditional PGs (go figure ;)).

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All very true. My hope is that at some point in his career with the Dubs, Barnes becomes a point forward, so Curry and Klay can both work off the ball. That suits both of them. Obviously, it's way too soon in his development, but it's an idea for year three. I don't know if MJ is interested in that, though. He seems to like his traditional PGs (go figure ;)).

He played some point forward last night. Very nice game for Barnes. Looked aggressive the whole game...while Thompson and Curry looked inept and lethargic. The turnovers by our guards are very frustrating.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played some point forward last night. Very nice game for Barnes. Looked aggressive the whole game...while Thompson and Curry looked inept and lethargic. The turnovers by our guards are very frustrating.

I saw a little of that, but I'm hoping that he will work on his handles for a couple of seasons and be the guy that brings it up every time down the floor (for 38+ minutes a game).

Yes. The turnovers are frustrating, but I think some of that can be blamed on new parts and early season. Some of it is that Steph and Klay are still fairly young in NBA games. There is even a tiny bit that they aren't quite as good as we thought they were. That is fine because they will grow together, and they seem like players that like to be in the gym. Game film at the beginning of the season will be very fun to compare to the last couple of weeks.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a little of that, but I'm hoping that he will work on his handles for a couple of seasons and be the guy that brings it up every time down the floor (for 38+ minutes a game).

Yes. The turnovers are frustrating, but I think some of that can be blamed on new parts and early season. Some of it is that Steph and Klay are still fairly young in NBA games. There is even a tiny bit that they aren't quite as good as we thought they were. That is fine because they will grow together, and they seem like players that like to be in the gym. Game film at the beginning of the season will be very fun to compare to the last couple of weeks.

My fear is that neither guy is as quick as we thought. Quick hands/quick shot/slow ass feet. Yep, maybe not as good as we thought they were, given lack of experience and athleticism.

I'm confident the team will improve. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty damn happy with Barnes and Ezeli so far. Get Thompson and Curry shooting well and a somewhat healthy Bogut, and nobody is going to want to play us down the stretch.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gee, ya think? What waste this trade was. They should have known though. No team in their right mind trades a healthy big man for a shooting guard who refuses to play defense.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My fear is that neither guy is as quick as we thought. Quick hands/quick shot/slow ass feet. Yep, maybe not as good as we thought they were, given lack of experience and athleticism.

I'm glad you pointed this out Heath because I wasn't sure if a statement like that would get me flamed. I've always thought of Steph as more of a shooting PG who can get assist but won't be a world beater the likes of Magic, Timmy Hardaway, Stockton, etc. Right now, Curry is tied for 25th in the league in APG with an average of 5.5 - not quite stellar numbers from a PG. His gift is obviously in the scoring/shooting/charity stripe area but he's not the most athletic PG nor does he have the best vision IMO. However, with that said, I still like him because of his work ethic and the fact that both he and Klay could form a nice duo in that back court. It's early, but I still think that Timmy and Mitch Richmond were a better tandem than what the W's have now but that could all change - Klay is still feeling his game out and developing an instinct to attack the basket more. His defense is improving but I still don't think we'll know exactly what kind of player he'll turn out to be for another year or two.

Everytime I think of point forward, I always revert back to Nellie and his experiments in that position, namely Billy Owens. Whereas Harrison is the better shooter, Owens was the better ball handler and better passer. It's a wash in terms of who's the better athlete although Barnes is showing a heck of a quick first step getting to the basket - he made AK47 look pretty ordinary in a few possessions during the Minny game.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How the fuck could the Warriors be this stupid to trade for a guy who was this badly injured. Who did the goddamned physical on this guy before they completed the trade?