• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bochy should start Bum in game four

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bum would have three days rest, and would be available for game 7 if needed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.

Historically, today's pitchers do not do well on 3-days rest.

This may be something Boch needs to test out next year during the regular season, though. See if he can do it.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my reasoning behind that is the fact that Peavy has some ugly numbers against KC historically.......

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about throwing Petit instead of Peavy next go around?

If the series goes that far why not. A different look to the hitters could be in our favor.

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is if you don't use him in game 3 or 4.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very tempting to do this if Bum says he can do it, and of course Bum will say yes. Who knows if we'll ever be in another World Series? Kershaw was doing just fine until the 7th inning when he did it against the Cards. So if we do this, we probably will need to pull him earlier than we usually do, but if he gives us six strong innings and we have the lead, then things are set up well for our bullpen. Plus, if we limit Bum to less than 100 pitches, then we are more confident that he can start Game 7.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants lose Game 3, I think Bumgarner goes Game 4. It'll be interesting.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very tempting to do this if Bum says he can do it, and of course Bum will say yes. Who knows if we'll ever be in another World Series? Kershaw was doing just fine until the 7th inning when he did it against the Cards. So if we do this, we probably will need to pull him earlier than we usually do, but if he gives us six strong innings and we have the lead, then things are set up well for our bullpen. Plus, if we limit Bum to less than 100 pitches, then we are more confident that he can start Game 7.

Yes, this is the heart of the thinking. I know most of you had Buck and Co. muted last night, but they were saying Bum told Bochy that he is up for going on three days rest. He even told Bochy to use him in the 18 inning game against the Washington Generals even though he pitched 3 days before.

I know the stats in general for most pitchers is not good for this. But this is not "in general", and Bum is not most pitchers. If he started game 4, I would say limit him to six innings or 100 pitches, like you said, whichever came first. If it went to game 7, then all limits are off.

Right now, I would feel better about Bum on three days rest than Petit or Vogey on more.

:yahoo::yahoo:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, this is the heart of the thinking. I know most of you had Buck and Co. muted last night, but they were saying Bum told Bochy that he is up for going on three days rest. He even told Bochy to use him in the 18 inning game against the Washington Generals even though he pitched 3 days before.

I know the stats in general for most pitchers is not good for this. But this is not "in general", and Bum is not most pitchers. If he started game 4, I would say limit him to six innings or 100 pitches, like you said, whichever came first. If it went to game 7, then all limits are off.

Right now, I would feel better about Bum on three days rest than Petit or Vogey on more.

I think this is where I am too on it. I still trust Bochy to figure it out, his Strickland errors notwithstanding.

We need to remember while Hudson and Vogey don't inspire a ton of confidence, KC shouldn't get a ton from Guthrie and Vargas either. They're about the same. And we can go with Bum game 4, I doubt they go with Shields then. We have a reliable playoff ace, they don't.

Again, an evenly matched series, we were never going to sweep, it was always likely to go 6+

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I also have to agree with this approach. I think the key to what happens will be game 3. If we lose .... then game 4 becomes a MUST win for us. Even if we have BUM on 4 days rest at Game 5 .... if we are down 3-1 at that point .... I don't see us taking 2 from KC in KC .... with Peavy and Hudson on the mound .... just my 2 cents!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I trust Bochy with whatever decision he makes, and of course I want the Giants to win this as quickly and as easily as possible (I've had enough baseball torture in my life), but man, oh man, how exciting would that be if Bum started and won Game 4, and then came back again to start and win Game 7. It's the stuff legends are made of.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.

Historically, today's pitchers do not do well on 3-days rest.

This may be something Boch needs to test out next year during the regular season, though. See if he can do it.

Yea asking Bum to do that when I don't think he has ever done in as a pro is a big risk. I'd rather take our chances in Vogelsong who may not have been at his best against the Cards, but has a history off performing well.

I think Petit would be successful against the Royals. They are aggressive, don't walk or strikeout much, and Petit has been great at hitting his spots on the corners. I won't say that if he doesn't get a start its a mistake, but if he doesn't get an opportunity in the next 2 games, starting him game 6 (if necessary) may not be a bad idea. At worst it gives Peavy an extra day of rest or you skip him all together.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea asking Bum to do that when I don't think he has ever done in as a pro is a big risk. I'd rather take our chances in Vogelsong who may not have been at his best against the Cards, but has a history off performing well.

I think Petit would be successful against the Royals. They are aggressive, don't walk or strikeout much, and Petit has been great at hitting his spots on the corners. I won't say that if he doesn't get a start its a mistake, but if he doesn't get an opportunity in the next 2 games, starting him game 6 (if necessary) may not be a bad idea. At worst it gives Peavy an extra day of rest or you skip him all together.

Also a plausible idea...this is why Bochy makes the big bucks. He'll give us our best shot, and then que sera sera. It'd be nice to just win tonight and then we can pitch Bum game 5 on normal rest. Of course, that takes him out of game 7...pimpin' ain't easy!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also a plausible idea...this is why Bochy makes the big bucks. He'll give us our best shot, and then que sera sera. It'd be nice to just win tonight and then we can pitch Bum game 5 on normal rest. Of course, that takes him out of game 7...pimpin' ain't easy!

He would be available for game 7, just not as the starter.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we have Boch back?

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No DH for the next three games. Butler is now a bat off the bench in PH situations.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3