• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blake Barnett Transferring from Alabama

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what was Nick Saban in 2007 when he left the Dolphins? A Baby Boomer?

??? Are you seriously calling Saban a quitter? I thought it was pretty well understood that if he didn't like the NFL he would go back to college. If you're a dolphins fan you probably hate Saban, but I think his players respected him. Besides, the dolphins are maybe just a step up from being the browns. Would you want to be part of that debacle? or own college football?

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"What's worth the prize is always worth the fight."
Addicted to progression.
??? Are you seriously calling Saban a quitter? I thought it was pretty well understood that if he didn't like the NFL he would go back to college. If you're a dolphins fan you probably hate Saban, but I think his players respected him. Besides, the dolphins are maybe just a step up from being the browns. Would you want to be part of that debacle? or own college football?
Correct. Saban didn't quit the NFL, he took another job offer. Bobby Petrino quit the NFL. And it has been well documented that Saban couldn't stand Miami because he wasn't able to make personnel decisions. If the Dolphins signed Drew Brees instead of Daunte Culpepper back when, then this is a completely different conversation.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"What's worth the prize is always worth the fight."
Addicted to progression.

Correct. Saban didn't quit the NFL, he took another job offer. Bobby Petrino quit the NFL. And it has been well documented that Saban couldn't stand Miami because he wasn't able to make personnel decisions. If the Dolphins signed Drew Brees instead of Daunte Culpepper back when, then this is a completely different conversation.

^ yeah, I do remember that. and I don't blame him. Why stay somewhere when you don't feel like you're allowed to put yourself in a position to be successful. Saban did say he wished he had handled that a little differently. But stepping away from a position in sports is a no win situation... someone's always gonna hate you for it.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's your problem. You don't get what college is.

But the reality is that the point of college is to enable kids to take control of their futures.
Yeah I get what college is and it's not sacrificing yourself all others don't think you are lowering the bar.
The kids is doing what he thinks is best to true control of his future. Good for him.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see where they are getting a bad deal.

If these kids were transferring for legitimate academic reasons I'd be more in favor of such things. However, these are cases where the transfers are 100% purely football related and playing time related. As such, I see no reason why competitive rules and regulations should not exist.

Show me a kid who has a change of heart in his major and just wants to go to another school that has a better program for that major and I'll be like sure, let that guy play right away. Of course, if that is actually their reason, the immediate playing time is probably not that important, but it's something I can get behind.
But if this is his career choice why should it be different than academics? Both want to transfer to get them in what think Is the best situation for their career choice.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if this is his career choice why should it be different than academics? Both want to transfer to get them in what think Is the best situation for their career choice.

The NFL is not a career choice any more than playing the lottery is a retirement plan. They don't offer NFL degrees etc.

It's a goal for some, achieved by even fewer. Only about 1% of kids make it to the NFL at all, and even among those most don't have huge careers.

I certainly see no reason to cater college football rules to such a minority of players.

He does have transfer options, so it's not like it's completely restrictive. The rules are made to discourage it, but not prevent it. Seems fine to me the way it is.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is not a career choice any more than playing the lottery is a retirement plan. They don't offer NFL degrees etc.

It's a goal for some, achieved by even fewer. Only about 1% of kids make it to the NFL at all, and even among those most don't have huge careers.

I certainly see no reason to cater college football rules to such a minority of players.

He does have transfer options, so it's not like it's completely restrictive. The rules are made to discourage it, but not prevent it. Seems fine to me the way it is.
If someone wants to put all their eggs in the NFL basket their right, dumb but it is a career choice and theirs to make.
As far as the rules you are right they are fine as they are and this kid used them how he should. He is following the rules doing what he thinks is best for himself, good for him.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone wants to put all their eggs in the NFL basket their right, dumb but it is a career choice and theirs to make.
As far as the rules you are right they are fine as they are and this kid used them how he should. He is following the rules doing what he thinks is best for himself, good for him.

He found a loophole, we'll see what they do with it. If they do nothing, it would be worse for college football than actual free agency.

Obviously free agency is not wanted in college football, and for good reason IMO. So we'll see how things work out.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody who pays attention to the recruiting trail expected Barnett to stick around if he wasn't starting. The kid was extremely wishy-washy during his initial recruiting process and choose Alabama because of the uncertainty at the position. Keep in mind people weren't sure Coker could hack it before last season began. Barnett was an early enrollee and started posting all this shit on Twitter about having to compete and earn the job...blah, blah, blah.

Needless to say, Barnett has a lot in common with all the recent Texas A&M QBs who have transferred out. A lot of these top recruits commit and then can't handle having to compete for starting roles. HS highlights only take you so far in Tuscaloosa.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He found a loophole, we'll see what they do with it. If they do nothing, it would be worse for college football than actual free agency.

Obviously free agency is not wanted in college football, and for good reason IMO. So we'll see how things work out.
It's not really a loop hole the rule says one year, I think. So really he is following the rules to maximize his time someplace else.

100% agree no free agency in college football.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many replies to tread through - won't do it.

Where did this cat end up going?