• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bill Romanowski on with Colin Cowherd

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if anyone else listens to it, and Bill might be so addled in his mind that he's hearing voices from all the steroids, but he said today that a number of veterans on the defense would be pissed if Harbaugh was back, that he only cares about his offensive players and his act is more than wearing thin with the team.

I don't know how to take this, I had always read that the players loved playing for Harbaugh, but there you have it, more fuel to the fire.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Bill freaking Romanowski still have connections with the 49ers and their players 30 years later. If the Cowboy hasn't said anything or any of the former players on defense then I say BS to that.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hang in there niner fans.

Two people that add very little, in fact the 3-some of Romanowski, cowherd and adding Jim Rome, could be the three people I would least like to listen too. Maybe add Bill Walton to that list too, complete the foursome.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hang in there niner fans.

Two people that add very little, in fact the 3-some of Romanowski, cowherd and adding Jim Rome, could be the three people I would least like to listen too. Maybe add Bill Walton to that list too, complete the foursome.

yea man this situation is so funny how completely overblown this is has become. Ugh FA can't come soon enough so this story will die.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here was my PFT take on the interview:

Reports were that Harbaugh wanted out, as early as last year, but as Harbaugh pointed out, "[t]here was never any opportunity to leave the San Francisco 49ers... Zero opportunity or chance of that in my mind."

Sources say that he has grown tired of the hierarchy of the organization, to which, Harbaugh confirmed that it has been the "ame things I signed on for when I signed on here as the coach," Harbaugh said. "That's been the structure since Day 1," Harbaugh lamented.

"We have a great organization... We are all part of a team," but "[a]t some point it comes down to a pool of money for the coaches." "When I started out, I was making $5 million... do[ing] five times as much work as any other coach on the staff."

"It's a principle to me that you never negotiate contracts in the press," he said. "It doesn't benefit anybody to do it publicly. I'm making this exception in talking to you right now... I want to be the highest-paid coach in football... plenty of money. I mean, plenty of money."

"The other one is that I want more power," Harbaugh said, adding, ""I really feel like we have one of the best, if not the best organizations in football." It is unknown whether he will get his power over this historical franchise, but one thing is for sure, it's Baalke or Harbaugh. "You probably don't understand the relationship between the GM and the head coach," indicating that nothing will "change anything that we do in that regard."

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Romo brings some good insight into all things Raiders, but that's where his usefulness begins and ends.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Would you rather see Harbaugh take over GM duties or see Baalke remain and have a different head coach?

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Question: Would you rather see Harbaugh take over GM duties or see Baalke remain and have a different head coach?

I'd choose Harbaugh as GM. But current Director of Player Personnel, Joel Patten's status would be up in the air. Not sure if Harbaugh would want to hand-pick his own guy for that position.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd choose Harbaugh as GM. But current Director of Player Personnel, Joel Patten's status would be up in the air. Not sure if Harbaugh would want to hand-pick his own guy for that position.

Agreed. If Patten is deemed talented, I think Harbaugh keeps him in the fold. Harbs won't just dismiss a talented, talent evaluator.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reports of Harbaugh losing his locker room/defensive players are just total BS. Until this report there hasn't even been any rumor of such a thing. Harbaugh has been on record numerous times of wanting to pay defensive players (Whitner, Goldson, J Smith, etc) and we see on the field that after 2011 and 2012 there are more younger guys playing on D than on O. There are more guys on D that take days off during the week from practice than guys on O (veteran status).

Maybe there are some sour grapes with Eric Wright getting benched or from Carlos Rogers because he's going to get cut or need to take a huge pay cut, but there have been alot of players who have transitioned off the team and there have been no rumors from those guys either.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any time you have a personality like Harbaugh's there is going to be friction between he and some of the players; that is a given. The real question is whether or not this creates an on-field problem or not. If it doesn't, then who cares if there is friction?

There are some loose cannons on the defense who consistently make silly mistakes like A. Smith and Brooks and I'm sure Harbaugh has called them out on this which could be the source of some of the "friction".

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reports of Harbaugh losing his locker room/defensive players are just total BS. Until this report there hasn't even been any rumor of such a thing. Harbaugh has been on record numerous times of wanting to pay defensive players (Whitner, Goldson, J Smith, etc) and we see on the field that after 2011 and 2012 there are more younger guys playing on D than on O. There are more guys on D that take days off during the week from practice than guys on O (veteran status).

Maybe there are some sour grapes with Eric Wright getting benched or from Carlos Rogers because he's going to get cut or need to take a huge pay cut, but there have been alot of players who have transitioned off the team and there have been no rumors from those guys either.

Logic and reason keeps upping the ante. First, it was, "OMG, Baalke and Harbaugh don't agree on everything." Well, every coach and GM have their disagreements.

Not to be defeated, it was then, "Oh shit, Harbaugh and Baalke have tension." There is a give and take where tension can be cohesive or creative tension.

Third, it was, "Wow, they tried to trade him to Cleveland." Cleveland initiated the talks, it was rejected.

Fourth, it was, "Damn, this tension has spilled over to the Combine." As long as they are winning and the players are on board, what's the big deal?

Players! We forgot the players!

Types up report... "Players... no, defensive veterans are growing weary of Harbaugh." "What's that Romanowski?" "Gold! Defensive vets will leave team if Harbaugh remains coach."

Boldin says that he came back for Harbaugh. "But you are on offense, not defense!"

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Logic and reason keeps upping the ante. First, it was, "OMG, Baalke and Harbaugh don't agree on everything." Well, every coach and GM have their disagreements.

Not to be defeated, it was then, "Oh shit, Harbaugh and Baalke have tension." There is a give and take where tension can be cohesive or creative tension.

Third, it was, "Wow, they tried to trade him to Cleveland." Cleveland initiated the talks, it was rejected.

Fourth, it was, "Damn, this tension has spilled over to the Combine." As long as they are winning and the players are on board, what's the big deal?

Players! We forgot the players!

Types up report... "Players... no, defensive veterans are growing weary of Harbaugh." "What's that Romanowski?" "Gold! Defensive vets will leave team if Harbaugh remains coach."

Boldin says that he came back for Harbaugh. "But you are on offense, not defense!"

I'll join in:

Harbaugh states his desire for players like Boldin, Dawson, and Whitner to get paid. "Who does he think is, the GM? How dare he side with the players that he coaches! It's hard enough when you have greedy players and agents to deal with."

Harbaugh fights for a raise for Fangio and several of his assistants. "Can't believe he keeps bugging the ownership. They have their hands full trying to get the new stadium up and ready!"

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

in this scenario easy call...............Baalke.

my reason - Harbaugh is a Coach, a very good Coach. but he is now where near a 'film grinder', a planning ahead guy, cap guy, etc..

the GM evaluates ALL positions on a team, not just the QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't like either choice. Being both a head coach and GM is a very difficult thing to do in the modern NFL. Don' t think that would work at all.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think there's more to the question than that though. Right now we have both for 2 years. Presumably we're trading Harbaugh. If we get a few first round picks for him, and either promote Roman, or maybe go back to the farm and get David Shaw, I'd rather have Baalke. Particularly if we keep the majority of the staff intact.

There have been too many examples of great coaches getting personnel control and finding themselves in over their head. There's only so much time in the day, and two full time jobs (that generally take more than 12 hours per day) don't fit in one day.

Given the choice, I'd choose Baalke and "coach behind door #1" rather than all Harbaugh all the time.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been too many examples of great coaches getting personnel control and finding themselves in over their head. There's only so much time in the day, and two full time jobs (that generally take more than 12 hours per day) don't fit in one day.

Given the choice, I'd choose Baalke and "coach behind door #1" rather than all Harbaugh all the time.

I agree with this completely, but if the issue is more that Harbaugh doesn't want to be GM at all, just wants a GM he is on the "same page" with, I think the issue is a little more complicated. And then it would depend on the GM coming in, Kawakami had a nice column about Baalke's potential replacements. Here it is.
If the 49ers had to replace Trent Baalke: A GM-search short list, just to see how it might go ? Talking Points

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Kawakami come from being a guy that everybody said just stirred shit to a credible guy? Do you think he's improved? Or are we talking about different people's opinion of Kawakami? All I know is that I have heard several people refer to Kawakami positively when I used to only hear negatives. We were a bad team back then, so it might have been the homers upset with being told how bad we were.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Kawakami come from being a guy that everybody said just stirred shit to a credible guy? Do you think he's improved? Or are we talking about different people's opinion of Kawakami? All I know is that I have heard several people refer to Kawakami positively when I used to only hear negatives. We were a bad team back then, so it might have been the homers upset with being told how bad we were.

He has developed to a point I have a lot of respect for him. He has been on point calling it like it is for 2 years or so now. Not just the 49ers, his take on the Warriors and his interviews with Lacob have been outstanding. Quite the growth imo. I wasn't surprised when this was announced today:

Bud Geracie ‏@WakeOfWeek 18h

@timkawakami just named to Top 10 among national columnists by #APSE, grandaddy of sportswriting contests. #BANG #mercurynews