• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Biggest upsets in the last 20 years?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was bored and tried to dig deep into my memory banks:

I'd say the Oilers beating the Wings in 2006 was a pretty big upset.

Obviously the Habs over the Caps is pretty big as well but I think it's on par with the Oilers over the Wings.

The Ducks beating the Sharks last year was a huge upset.

The Islanders beating the Pens in 1993 was a pretty big upset.

Sharks over the Wings in 1994 has to be high on the list.

Panthers over the Pens in 1996.

The North Stars taking the Blackhawks down in 1991 was a major upset.

This one isn't within the 20 year time frame but the Flames beating the Oilers in 1986 was a huge upset.

Oilers beating the Stars in 1997 when Joseph stole the series.

Leafs beating the Sens in 2001 and not only beating them but sweeping them.

The Sens again...sigh. Sabres sweeping the Sens in 1999

Ducks taking down the Wings in 2003 in a sweep.

Homer pick: The Sens defeating the Devils in 1998 as the 8th seed.

Awesome list man! I stand corrected on the year the Pens lost to the Isles. I always mess that up. I said 1994. Only reason I said the last 20 years was because I wasnt old enough to remember much prior to that but I do remember the Flames/Oilers in '86. First finals i ever watched. I have the Lanny McDonald drinking from the cup image seared into my brain when I think of that series. Thanks for taking the time....I enjoyed reading and remembering some of those moments!

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Awesome list man! I stand corrected on the year the Pens lost to the Isles. I always mess that up. I said 1994. Only reason I said the last 20 years was because I wasnt old enough to remember much prior to that but I do remember the Flames/Oilers in '86. First finals i ever watched. I have the Lanny McDonald drinking from the cup image seared into my brain when I think of that series. Thanks for taking the time....I enjoyed reading and remembering some of those moments!

That was actually 1989 when the Flames won the Cup. 1986 was the year Roy had his coming out party and beat the Flames in the finals. The Flames beat the Oilers in the conference finals in 86' I believe. :)

I just thought of one more just for Sabres fans.....May Day is all I should have to say. The Sabres sweeping the Bruins in 1993 for those who don't know.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was actually 1989 when the Flames won the Cup. 1986 was the year Roy had his coming out party and beat the Flames in the finals. The Flames beat the Oilers in the conference finals in 86' I believe. :)

I just thought of one more just for Sabres fans.....May Day is all I should have to say. The Sabres sweeping the Bruins in 1993 for those who don't know.

Heh Once again....I got the years messed up. Man my hockey memory is a mess anymore. Tonite has been a complete brain fart for me here. lol I like that everyone here is so informative about hockey because I am typically a casual but consistent hockey fan when I have the time and it shows here with all the hard core fans.

Larry N

Flyers fan for life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In the last 20 years:

For hockey, I would go Sharks over Wings in '94. Even though they had improved significantly under Kevin Constantine from the year before (where they registered a paltry 24 points), they still finished the '93-'94 season below .500 (33-35-11) and were considered a fringe team at best.

Furthermore, they were only in their third year of existence. While sporting the likes of Igor Larionov, Arturs Irbe and Sergei Makarov, their roster was still populated by expansion draft cast-offs and youngsters. When Todd Elik is your team's second highest scorer, well, people aren't going to give you much of a shot in a series against a team sporting the likes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Coffey, Primeau, Ciccarelli, et al.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
First off, I know tonights game obviously inspired this thread but I mean no disrespect for all the Caps fans here. Just want to know peoples thoughts on the last 20 years or so.

I know the Caps were a 1 seed and Habs an 8 but is it safe to say the Caps were an inexperienced number 1 seed? That would be the reason I wouldnt pick this as the biggest upset.

I missed many years of the NHL because of a grueling work schedule and I just didnt have the time in my life so me starting threads like this are a real help to get some knowledge on what I missed in the late 90s-early 2000s.

My pick so far is the '94 Pens/Islanders upset. Top 3 personal losses for me when it comes to sports. Curious to hear what you guys come up with?

Or just another way for a Pens fan to kick a Caps fan when he's down. Your timing is impeccable!

Hey you can so you do. maybe Caps fans can repay the favor one day.. maybe. Thanks!

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just another way for a Pens fan to kick a Caps fan when he's down. Your timing is impeccable!

Hey you can so you do. maybe Caps fans can repay the favor one day.. maybe. Thanks!

Ease up man.....I didnt intend this to piss anyone off. It just got me thinking and I made a thread. Chill out!

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ease up man.....I didnt intend this to piss anyone off. It just got me thinking and I made a thread. Chill out!

No harm, no foul. I just had to comment on the timing of it. I'm sure there wasn't one Caps fan that said "Now there's a cool thread", when they saw it.

Furthermore, I'm sure if the Pens had lost a series in that fashion, and minutes later a "biggest upsets in history" thread popped up, i doubt you be very appreciative of it either- just sayin'.

The Caps choked, no question. I'm sure Halak will come back to earth now that they've gotten past the 1st round. Who knows?

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No harm, no foul. I just had to comment on the timing of it.

By that, you mean this thread coming just after we saw one of the "biggest upsets in the last 20 years?" Well... that's kind of how forums work. If someone scores 5 goals in tonight's game, chances are that we'll start discussing 5 goal games of the past.

Leave the martyr complexes in the swamp.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
By that, you mean this thread coming just after we saw one of the "biggest upsets in the last 20 years?" Well... that's kind of how forums work. If someone scores 5 goals in tonight's game, chances are that we'll start discussing 5 goal games of the past.

If the exact same thing happened to the Flyers, and a Pens fan posted the same thread, i highly doubt you'd be screaming for more threads just like it.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Van de Velde almost winning the British Open...and subsequently playing the 72nd hole like I would most days...then making a clutch putt to get into a playoff...and then Paul Lawrie ends up winning the Claret Jug in the end.

quoipourquoi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the exact same thing happened to the Flyers, and a Pens fan posted the same thread, i highly doubt you'd be screaming for more threads just like it.

Uh... okay. I'm sure that's relevant to... something...

Thought of another one: Capriati over Hingis in the 2002 Australian. Down 6-4, 4-0 in the second set. Everyone thought that Hingis was declaring her return to form as the most dominant female tennis player, and then Capriati just wrecked her in 13 of the next 17 games to win her second-straight title in Melbourne.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Uh... okay. I'm sure that's relevant to... something...

Thought of another one: Capriati over Hingis in the 2002 Australian. Down 6-4, 4-0 in the second set. Everyone thought that Hingis was declaring her return to form as the most dominant female tennis player, and then Capriati just wrecked her in 13 of the next 17 games to win her second-straight title in Melbourne.

LOL.. MMM k.. note to self.. quoroipquorhoweveritspelled has alcheimer's.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its all good.....I understand its not fun for the Caps fans right now and this is a touchy subject so its ok. I wouldnt be too happy with my heart ripped out either. Caps fans deserved better than this!

quoipourquoi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.. MMM k.. note to self.. quoroipquorhoweveritspelled has alcheimer's.

I don't know whether I should be more insulted that you mocked the French language or called me a Flyers fan.

So is it pistols at dawn, or are you going to quit crying about a thread in which we're all naming upsets other than last night's Game 7.

quoipourquoi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all good.....I understand its not fun for the Caps fans right now and this is a touchy subject so its ok. I wouldnt be too happy with my heart ripped out either. Caps fans deserved better than this!

It's cool that you have that attitude, but really, this is a discussion board. We shouldn't have to apologize for talking about the same things that everyone else in the sports world is talking about.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice snow shower by thornton. skating away like a bitch afterward.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know whether I should be more insulted that you mocked the French language or called me a Flyers fan.

So is it pistols at dawn, or are you going to quit crying about a thread in which we're all naming upsets other than last night's Game 7.

Definitely pistols at.. sundown. You obviously have a problem with me.. Anyone who reads the posts in here can see that.

again, if your team was a 1 seed, and just lost game 7 of the series to an 8 seed, and you go to the hockey board and the first thing you see is a thread about the greatest upsets the last 20 years. you may feel slightly offended. If not, I'd question your loyalty to your team.

Me and the OP are good.. actually even better than good, but you feel the need to berate me? For what?

Say I'm crying, mock me, say it's not relevant to the thread... whatever.

Just be there at 5:00 sharp. and i don't speak fucking french :mad: