• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Biggest surprises this season

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The individual performance that surprises me the most this season is Bowman. I didn't expect much more than him filling his position on the roster, but he's proven to at least be an upper-echelon ILB in this league. However, this post isn't about him...

This post is about the 2nd most surprising player on the team this year and it has to be Sopoaga. He's always been a very good run stuffer at LDE. However, I didn't think he had what it took to dominate at NT. But so far he's been just about as good at the position as anyone in the league this year. We see a lot of RJF, so I like how they rotate guys in. And the team still needs some depth at DE IMO. But Soap has been a huge pleasant surprise this year, and I have to say it appears I was wrong about him. There goes what I thought was the 2nd most important need on the team. :)

Of course Alex deserves some cred' too, but I'm not ready to call him a good player yet. Let's see what he does in the playoffs. I will say that his arm appears to be getting stronger. Maybe the shoulder took this long to get back to 100%???

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, you know it's a strange week when Sopoaga and Joe Staley combine for more receiving yards than Vernon Davis.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on Soap. I didn't think he had it in him to play as well as he has right now. I'm surprised he's not exhausted playing so much on Offense as well.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wasn't surprised at all..This kid was a stud at penn state and when they let spikes go via free agency...i knew that bowman could step in play everyday...he has showed that week in and week out..

But one of the biggest surprises on the team is Alex smith after 6 years of disappointment he is finally showing why we drafted him number 1...He isn't the best qb in the league.But when it counts he getting the job done and the most important thing he isn't throwing int's and fumbling the ball

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowman(being so soon, knew it would happen), Ray, ICE, Alex.... as far as returning players...

FAs - Rogers.... I knew he was underrated but be's been pro bowlesque thus far.

Rooks - All done, Culliver..... simply amazing contribution...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
His failure to know who to block down by the goal line cost the 49ers a touchdown today.

I'm fine with him not being an expert on the offensive side at this point.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He'll learn. I'm just glad he screwed up against the flush-it-downs. Good opprotunity to fix it for next time.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't surprised at all..This kid was a stud at penn state and when they let spikes go via free agency...i knew that bowman could step in play everyday...he has showed that week in and week out..

But one of the biggest surprises on the team is Alex smith after 6 years of disappointment he is finally showing why we drafted him number 1...He isn't the best qb in the league.But when it counts he getting the job done and the most important thing he isn't throwing int's and fumbling the ball

I wouldn't say that. He is improved but still not showing that IMO.

famugrad05

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I again have to choose the O Line as a whole. They are rough patches but they are play very well overall imho

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised by Alex in that I thought he'd look much worse in Harbaugh's offense. However, I still think the majority of this board are overrating his performances.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think it's clear that Alex, when he's at his best, does a little bit to keep the defense honest & doesn't screw up.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith is the biggest surprise IMHO behind Harbaugh. Smith is finally able to feel like he can play the way he knows he's capable of, and there's a game plan coupled with belief behind it.

Web may not have the most elite talent in the league, but we have a great chemistry and the ability to play up to our opponents for the first time in a long time.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, I'd go with the 49ers being undefeated on the road as the biggest surprise. 3-0!!!

Most surprising individual performance so far: Aldon Smith - 6.5 sacks in 7 games, absolute stud.

I'm sure Bowman's success hasn't been a surprise to the coaching staff, since they let Spikes walk. .

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I still can't get over how much I love that avatar.