• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big XII media days

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting....

Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury says he planned to put Baker Mayfield on scholarship last spring and family was aware at the time.

.................................................. .................................................. .....

Baker disagrees:

Jake Trotter: What was the reason that you decided to leave Texas Tech after being the starting quarterback to end the regular season?

Baker Mayfield: Well, a lot of things played into it. It was over time. When I got hurt [Week 5 at Kansas], there was no communication between me and my coach [Kingsbury]. When I got healthy, I didn’t know why I wasn’t playing right away. At that time, we were losing a couple games in a row. I was still clueless as to why I wasn’t playing. That was really frustrating for me because I started the first five games and we won. So, I just didn’t really know exactly what he was thinking or what the situation was. So that happened. And then going from a week-to-week basis not knowing whether I was going to play or not and how short the leash would be if I had an average half, how quickly I would be pulled or anything like that. It was making me uncomfortable, and I just didn’t want to be there anymore. I loved Lubbock and I loved my teammates. But going through that and then them tell me they’re still working on a scholarship for next fall, and I wouldn’t have one for this semester coming up. It was all that.

Trotter: So they told you they wouldn’t have a scholarship for you in the spring, either?

Mayfield: Exactly. They said they were still working on one for next fall.

Trotter: Was that the final straw for you?

Mayfield: I mean that was kinda leading up to it, yes. Then after the Texas game on Thanksgiving, the next week we went in, I was splitting second-team reps after starting on Thanksgiving. I still had no idea what was going on. I’d just had enough at that point.

Trotter: So after the Texas game, you were splitting second-teams behind Davis Webb?

Mayfield: Michael [Brewer] was going first. I don’t know if he [Kingsbury] did that by age, but there was no explanation for why he was doing it. Right when we started our first bowl practice, right before the practice, he [Kingsbury] said it was a straight-up competition and that was how they were going to determine the starting quarterback. I didn’t think that was really fair. I’m not one to be afraid of competition at all because I’ve gone through that my whole life at Lake Travis [Mayfield’s high school], too, and when I got to Tech. But I didn’t think that was fair because I had done my job when I had gotten the opportunity. I mean, I thought I needed more of a chance, and I wasn’t getting it. And they were splitting the reps equally so that was the last straw.

.................................................. .................................................. ................

Trotter: OK, so you decide to leave Tech, were there any other schools you looked at?

Mayfield: I mean, yes, there were. I got some calls from places Tech had to released me to, but I wasn’t that interested.

Trotter: Who were some of those schools?

Mayfield: East Carolina, Houston -- just some other schools that kinda talked to me back in high school, but nothing I was ever really interested in.

Trotter: So it seemed like OU was the one school you had in mind when you decided you were going to transfer, correct?

Mayfield: Yes. Out of high school, I applied to three schools right off the bat: Oklahoma, TCU and I think Tech was the third. But I didn’t really want to go to Tech until late in the spring of my senior year. Oklahoma and TCU were my first two options coming out of high school. That’s where I wanted to go. And I wasn’t going to give TCU another chance after they basically screwed my whole recruiting over from the start [TCU recruited Mayfield but never offered a scholarship]. So OU was where I’ve always wanted to go. I grew up an Oklahoma fan. I used to go to all the games watching a bunch of people who are in the NFL now.

I knew Mayfield was lying his ass off in this interview once he said, "I love Lubbock".............Ha ha, j/k. Kingsbury is a fucking prick, always has been. Wanted to punch that fucker after his Big 12 media days interview yesterday.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf.gif
is going on in Lubbock
The same thing that always goes on in Lubbock every year.
They play a bunch of FCS schools early. Then they have a 2nd half collapse.
As a result, they look for some controversy to deflect fan and booster attention from the W-L.

It sounds like this quarterback had the unfortunate luck to be last years "scapegoat".

Playing 2 FCS teams every season does nothing to improve the program.
I hope for their sake that Kingsbury starts looking for a little better test each year.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Oklahoma, Texas and TCU would each lay 50 on TWreck this year. I have NEVER had a good experience working in business with TWreck alums. It's uncanny; every time someone tried to cut a corner and a good deal went to hell in a hand basket. I can count 4 times it happened over the years. There's something about that crappy town and the people who graduate from that place. I might have a personal rivalry with UT fans, Okie Light fans, etc. but at least I enjoy doing business with them because they are fair to deal with. We have hired a lot of UT alums over the years and they have been hard as hell to deal with when they beat OU but are always good employees. Same thing with USC, Okie Light and Nebraska alums.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sooners defeated Alabama in the Sugar Bowl last season and Stoops took some shots at Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban, who called the bowl a "consolation game" after losing to Auburn and being knocked out of the national championship hunt.
"[It] didn't look like [a consolation game] the first series," Stoops said. "They looked ready to play. Everybody thought they would rout us.
"So if I'm not in a national championship game, that means I've got a built-in excuse."

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sooners defeated Alabama in the Sugar Bowl last season and Stoops took some shots at Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban, who called the bowl a "consolation game" after losing to Auburn and being knocked out of the national championship hunt.
"[It] didn't look like [a consolation game] the first series," Stoops said. "They looked ready to play. Everybody thought they would rout us.
"So if I'm not in a national championship game, that means I've got a built-in excuse."

His jimmies seem as though they become rustled fairly easily. :noidea:

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His jimmies seem as though they become rustled fairly easily. :noidea:

I don't think it's rustled jimmies but Stoops just doesn't take shit and Speaks his mind and I for one like it!

Unless someone has an agenda against OU I don't see how you can't appreciate Stoops' attitude.:yahoo:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's rustled jimmies but Stoops just doesn't take shit and Speaks his mind and I for one like it!

Unless someone has an agenda against OU I don't see how you can't appreciate Stoops' attitude.:yahoo:

I'm the same way with Saban. He's gonna say what he wants whether others like it or not and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is also a lot of respect between Oklahoma and Alabama. Stoops and his staff spent time 3 years ago at Alabama picking up tips on how to play better defense and how to better prepare for bowl games. The Alabama fans were fantastic to the OU fans when we played them on the road. And the Alabama fans said they enjoyed the hospitality when they visited Norman. I was at the last Sugar Bowl and the fans of both schools were very complimentary toward each other.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox Sports Southwest did an anonymous survey of the players at the Big 12 Media Days

Big 12 players dish in media days anonymous survey | FOX Sports

Who is the Big 12's best team?
Oklahoma -- 56%
Baylor -- 39%
TCU -- 2.5%
Texas 2.5%

Which Big 12 school has the worst fans?
Kansas -- 40%
TCU -- 18%
Oklahoma State -- 14%
West Virginia -- 14%
Iowa State -- 7%
Texas -- 3.5%
Texas Tech -- 3.5%

Read it to see what else is said.

GO JAYHAWKS <waits for basketball season>

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is also a lot of respect between Oklahoma and Alabama. Stoops and his staff spent time 3 years ago at Alabama picking up tips on how to play better defense and how to better prepare for bowl games. The Alabama fans were fantastic to the OU fans when we played them on the road. And the Alabama fans said they enjoyed the hospitality when they visited Norman. I was at the last Sugar Bowl and the fans of both schools were very complimentary toward each other.

dr3sik.gif

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the Kansas having the "worst fans" thing. I used to go to Kansas games in Lawrence and they were always decent. People would let us park in their yards across from the stadium for next to nothing.

I guess they somehow inherited that tag when Colorado left. Someone had to get it. :noidea:

I would have tagged Kansas St with it, but even that's a stretch compared to Colorado.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the Kansas having the "worst fans" thing. I used to go to Kansas games in Lawrence and they were always decent. People would let us park in their yards across from the stadium for next to nothing.

I guess they somehow inherited that tag when Colorado left. Someone had to get it. :noidea:

I would have tagged Kansas St with it, but even that's a stretch compared to Colorado.

That was from the few players at the Big 12 Media days. It probably pertains that no one is in the stands for the football games since the team is lousy. Plus, these players are 18 to 21 and easily influenced by media.

I doubt any Kansas fans have peed in a balloon and thrown it, or thrown batteries like Colorado fans have.

When I went to Nebraska games in Lawrence as a kid, not one Kansas fan was offensive to me or my family.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy. It's like he wants to run but has no where to go.

Attachments

• bama fan.JPG
    bama fan.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would agree. I've been to several games there, one with VY in 2005, when Kansas won 98% of the game, only to lose with VY's 4th and 18 run for a first, then TD pass in corner of endzone to win it last second. The family sitting next to me couldnt have been nicer. They were just sad, as it looked like that had it won. Kind of felt sorry for the dad and his kid.

That little stadium was rocking with that 'rock chalk jayhawk' chant, thought for sure I was witnessing a massive upset.