• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big Ten vs. SEC Challenge in Week 2 or 3... how awesome would this be?

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this over on Disney as well. Thought about it watching OSU vs. Duke in the Big Ten vs. ACC Challenge last night.

Why not do the same thing in football, but with the Big Ten and SEC? The two best conferences, biggest fanbases, biggest stadiums, geographically adjacent for easy travel, and an established rivalry from all the bowl tie-ins.

They'd play 12 games involving 24 teams. Make it happen on the second and/or third weekend of the season (not the first when teams need a tuneup, not the 4th right before conference play). In fact it's probably better to spread this over 2 weekends because there would be so many great OOC matchups.

The SEC having 14 teams now is kind of a pain, but they can figure something out (need to do something so that the Big Ten's worst team isn't always playing the SEC's third worst) - maybe have two SEC teams sit out on a rotating basis until the Big Ten adds a couple.

Example for next year:

Wisconsin vs. LSU
Michigan vs. Alabama
MSU vs. Georgia
Penn State vs. South Carolina
Nebraska vs. Arkansas
Iowa vs. Auburn
Ohio State vs. Florida
Northwestern vs. Vanderbilt (this should be every year... Nerd Bowl)
Purdue vs. Miss State
Minnesota vs. Tennessee
Illinois vs. Ole Miss
Indiana vs. Kentucky*

*basketball

Added benefit that rankings through the season would be much more meaningful with all of those common opponents.

:rockon:

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big10 would go 0-5 in the top five matchups... they way win the rest though.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this over on Disney as well. Thought about it watching OSU vs. Duke in the Big Ten vs. ACC Challenge last night.

Why not do the same thing in football, but with the Big Ten and SEC? The two best conferences, biggest fanbases, biggest stadiums, geographically adjacent for easy travel, and an established rivalry from all the bowl tie-ins.

They'd play 12 games involving 24 teams. Make it happen on the second and/or third weekend of the season (not the first when teams need a tuneup, not the 4th right before conference play). In fact it's probably better to spread this over 2 weekends because there would be so many great OOC matchups.

The SEC having 14 teams now is kind of a pain, but they can figure something out (need to do something so that the Big Ten's worst team isn't always playing the SEC's third worst) - maybe have two SEC teams sit out on a rotating basis until the Big Ten adds a couple.

Example for next year:

Wisconsin vs. LSU
Michigan vs. Alabama
MSU vs. Georgia
Nebraska vs. Arkansas
Iowa vs. Auburn
Ohio State vs. Florida
Purdue vs. Miss State
Minnesota vs. Tennessee
Illinois vs. Ole Miss
Indiana vs. Kentucky*

*basketball

Added benefit that rankings through the season would be much more meaningful with all of those common opponents.

I'll have my people call your people.

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Example for next year:

Wisconsin vs. LSU
Michigan vs. Alabama
MSU vs. Georgia
Nebraska vs. Arkansas
Iowa vs. Auburn
Ohio State vs. Florida
Purdue vs. Miss State
Minnesota vs. Tennessee
Illinois vs. Ole Miss
Indiana vs. Kentucky*

*basketball

Great idea. But at some point the gators will be asked to leave the State to play a OC game. And they won't do it.

CrimsonFan

Cashing Out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We play Michigan next year and it's exciting because they are actually good again :dance:

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We play Michigan next year and it's exciting because they are actually good again :dance:

Yeah, they get us at the best time. I thought this was going to be an easy win last year, I wasn't thinking about all we lose to the NFL this year. :lol:

Either way, I still feel good about that game. The defense will be young, but very talented. They will still be very good, and the offense should get better.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to do in basketball because a loss means nothing. Don't know if it would work in college football, but hey I'd love to give it a try.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to do in basketball because a loss means nothing. Don't know if it would work in college football, but hey I'd love to give it a try.

A loss means nothing in CFb either. Just ask Houston, Boise, Utah, Tulane or TCU... LOL

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team is good enough to be national champion, they'll win a tough OC game (look at LSU this season). And an OC loss has zero impact on winning your conference and getting a BCS bid.

The benefits way outweigh the downside.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. Will not happen.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah we really should have some of these challenges show up around the country because right now OOC schedules are piss poor, mainly in the SEC.

there are so many teams that don't play anyone OOC.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason to schedule anything except the easiest game you can find.

Get your 3 (for PAC) and 4 (for everyone else) easy wins and get everyone ranked higher. That way when conference play starts you're beating "ranked" teams and move up.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason to schedule anything except the easiest game you can find.

Get your 3 (for PAC) and 4 (for everyone else) easy wins and get everyone ranked higher. That way when conference play starts you're beating "ranked" teams and move up.

that's exactly what the SEC does.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they get us at the best time. I thought this was going to be an easy win last year, I wasn't thinking about all we lose to the NFL this year. :lol:

Either way, I still feel good about that game. The defense will be young, but very talented. They will still be very good, and the offense should get better.

Bama should still blow Michigan out

I'm happy you get to expose them early on.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's exactly what the SEC does.

Products.jpg

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great idea, but sadly will never happen.