• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big Decisions coming up

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Chris Davis and Matt Wieters needing extensions soon, the rest of our roster could be overhauled dramatically. I'm wondering what you all think about the following players and if they should be kept or not.

Markakis- 1 more year at 15.35M (Needs a discount for his next contract IMO since he's never been an all-star and has been declining)

Roberts - FA next year (I'd let him retire an Oriole with a 1 yr deal with a team option. Nothing more than 5M otherwise bring up Schoop)

Hardy - 1 more year at 8M (Do you sign him again? Manny could play SS but who do we have that can play 3rd?)

Hammel - FA (Gone)

Jim Johnson - 1 more year of arb. (Let him go)

Wada - option (Gone)

Betemit - option (Gone)

Reimold - arb. years (Let him go)

Mclouth - FA (2 year contract, we need his speed and defense)

We could have about 15M clearing up next year to give to Davis or Wieters. Get it done Angelos.

Elginbaylor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberts, Hammel, Jim Johnson, Wada, Betemit make about $30 million combined?
We don't need any of them back except Roberts. Maybe they'll have enough leftover cash to sign a lousy DH and 5th starter this time around.

Quite easy to build a team when your top 4 starting pitchers make about $8 million combined.

As for non-tendering Jim Johnson, I bet you can get a couple good prospects from the Dodgers for him. The Dodgers' GM is a genius. Just look at the amazing job he's done rebuilding the Red Sox into a 1st place team with just one trade.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would look to keep MM at 3rd the rest of his career. Defensive players like that are very rare, its like having a 3B/SS in one. When someone's on par or better than Brooks Robinson defensively there you don't ever move them. I'd re-sign Hardy for another 2 years, he's still young enough.

dave1978

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'd try to keep Hardy. A great glove with 25-30 home run power. As said above, Machado may be able to move in at SS, but who will you have at 3rd?

It would also be nice to re-up McLouth at a reasonable price. He's got great speed and OBP.

Markakis has been great, but not worth $15M a year, if that's what he's currently getting.

As much as I like Roberts, I think his best days are behind him.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well schoop is ready he can be your short . ryan a full year everyday would help him . nate if we talking 8 hr give avery an honest shot at lf . alvarez is playing all of and will be cheap so good bye nate . they will bring back nolan million is a drop in the bucket for his power .

dave1978

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well schoop is ready he can be your short . ryan a full year everyday would help him . nate if we talking 8 hr give avery an honest shot at lf . alvarez is playing all of and will be cheap so good bye nate . they will bring back nolan million is a drop in the bucket for his power .

Well, we all want to see what Schoop can do. However, I don't think that I would get rid of a proven veteran like Hardy in order to find that out.

When it comes to Nate, I'm not too concerned about the home run totals. As the lead-off hitter, it's not necessarily his job to hit home runs, but rather to get on base, steal bases, and more or less be the "igniter" (Remember Paul Molitor).

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Schoop is ready but he's not a better hitter than Hardy. He would have to play 2nd to play next year. I'm not sold on Flaherty. He's got 200 at bats this year and his only rewarding aspect is a little bit of pop. But it still only translates into 15-18 hr over a full season. I'd rather see Schoop. Nate is a little older but he's still better than Avery. Xavier is hitting .237 in AAA. Alvarez is too far away. Nolan's power? He averages 8 hrs a season because he can't stay on the field. 1 million is an extra pitcher for the bullpen or even a young starter....not a drop in the bucket.